• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint 70 Mopar for $4800!

We had a whole room full of these in high school-

Re: Mint 70 Mopar for $4800!

Looks exactly like what my school currently has
    but ours are more like Fords Trucks from the mid 70s, but with floor shifts (although one has a column)
    we can't afford new stuff
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

How totally cool! I'd love to have one of those. My high school didn't have simulators, we had two 1979 Pintos on loan from the local FORD dealer.
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Id forgotten all about those things.Ours were housed in a trailer that they took from school to school.Just what were you looking for when you found this Kris.I think you have a bad influence from that Andy guy ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
          Id forgotten all about those things.Ours were housed in a trailer that they took from school to school.Just what were you looking for when you found this Kris.I think you have a bad influence from that Andy guy ;D ;D
          Ha! I'm usually the one that's accused of being a bad influence. ;D

When I was in high school the Raytown school district had a big driver's ed program on it's own campus located in between the two high schools. There was a driving range that always had a dozen or so new cars from the Chevy dealer down the road, classrooms inside one of which was full of the exact same Mopar simulators in the auction, a SKIDPAD!, and on the road driving instruction. There was usually a Camaro or two on the driving range and it was always a mad dash by all the guys in the class to get to one of them first even though we would only be going 5-10 mph. Now try and imagine this-they had a big circular piece of asphalt with a bunch of sealer on it and a sprinkler system to keep it wet. They had an old 9C1 Caprice that was just for the skid pad. They would pile 3 kids in the back seat, one in the driver's seat and an instructor riding shotgun. He'd fly onto the pad and toss the car sideways and the kid driving had to straighten it out. Everybody got a turn, and had to keep at it until they got it right.

We had to ride the bus from school to the drivers ed campus. There was a loop turn-around at one end of the driveway in front of the DE building-one day when it was snowing the bus driver DRIFTED the bus around the loop-on purpose-to squeals of delight from all the boys and screams of terror from all the girls. He'd get sent straight to prison for that now but it was just good fun then. I wonder if they still do any of that stuff-it's probably all classroom instruction now.

Comment

OMG! It's from the old stimulators!!
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The only simulator we had was a movie projector. We had only class room and on the road instruction.
              Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

WOW!!!!!

We had a trailer full of those things that used to go around to all the high schools in our area. I got in yanked out of class for "power shifting" the simulator. The drivers ed teacher was the football coach got me out side turned a great shade of blue and gave the "whole blood on the highway this is not a game" rant.

A buddy works maintenance for the board of ed, I am calling him today and find out what happened to the simulator trailer.

Steve
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

We had new Olds Cutlass and Buick Centurys from the GM dealer the next town over. With new car sales being what they are, I don't imagine this program continues.

Comment

drivers ed was a joy ride around town in a new 82 malibu 4 door

Comment

My driver's ed training was in a 1990ish Chevy Corsica. Only thing cool about it was the first day the speedo quit working altogether. Took a week to get the new part in, and the instructor only had to hit his "oh shit" brake pedal once on me. Funny thing is that instructor is now a buddy of mine's Father in-law.
                      GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Just like we had in our Driver's Eductation class (there were about 10 of them). We watched a movie screen and drove according to what we saw. The simulator would then analyze how you did and report to the teacher.

They were fun, but much better when we actually got to go to the driving course behind the wheel of a real car (several year old 4-door POS with the extra brake pedal on the passenger side floorboard). I remember holding that extra brake down without the driver knowing it, and they kept giving it more gas to get it to go and when I let go, the car did a burn-out.

I was an evil cuss ...
                        ;D

Comment

We had accual '73 chargers.
                          Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

It's a stick AND 'an Automatic!!!! :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Seriously,it is pretty damn cool. ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

Working...
                            X