"normal" shop tools for setting up a home fab shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "normal" shop tools for setting up a home fab shop

OK, so it's been a while since I have been online on the ye ole BS boards...but I got into a discussion with my brother tonight.
    He's in the process of the planning stages of finally building a house with a garage.
    Basically a 3 car with a double deep 2 stall with some tall walls.
    What we got into discussions about doing all the work, save paint work at his place.

Goal is to have a self-sufficient shop we can build a car or two out of.

Dake was brought up as he sells their equipment, and first thing off the bat I got to thinking:
    Cold saw {Have a large carbide tipped metal saw but I'm pushing for the cold saw no heat or sparks}
    Pipe notcher/coper
    Large belt sander {like something the size of header flanges}
    post lift - He says 4 post. I wondered if a twin post is better for some of the work I want to do.
    220V welder, thinking a miller unit, something newer than my old 100 amp Century 110V mig thats 20 years old.
    Shrinker/stretcher
    metal brake, roller, shear, etc

Some proper storage cabinets and tool storage!

I know this is pushing it, but AMERICAN MAN hand tools. {I've been in a damn cave and had no clue Craftsman stuff is all china made now. So disgusted at this...and I'm not one of the caveman knuckle draggers that beats on his tools relentlessly, I take care of my stuff}.
    His collection of tools is nothing like what I have, but I need to keep my rollaway at home.

The hunt for a lot of old American made Vice grips begin...or what American made locking pliers are out there, Crescent Brand? Channel Lock?

Air compressor, I may have a line on a quincy unit.

Floor jacks...are there any decent quality units left? Is Milwaukee still decent? Or is everything import now?
    Myself, I'm on only my third Prolift floor jack after 21+ years of wrenching, since I bought my first jack at like 15-16 years old.

I'm just trying to get a list together of practical things for a home shop setup.

Oh, explosion proof exhaust/vent fans! Hell almost forgot about that.

Bench Vices...because it's been so long, wondering what vices are worth looking at.

Looking at also trying to locate a bridgeport, even if it needs to be reconditioned. Either that or one of the smaller units from Jet from our discussion tonight.
    I'd love to find a small lathe but not sure that's needed.

Sand blasting cabinets. Thought about building a one, but hell probably easier and less hassle to buy one.

While I'm dreaming a surface plate with some fixturing would be great but uh yeahhhhh THAT'S a pipe dream!

Anyways, thanks for the the input.
    On the plus side, my brother is footing the bill, but I'm going to be the wrench...but I'm cool with that.

Andrew
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

I like the 2 post lifts better, you go with a 4 post then the suspension is always loaded, more stuff to work around... 2 post, everything's open underneath, much easier.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

Biggest drill press you can get hold of, hydraulic press...
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

As long as we are spending some one else's money:
        Blue wrench
        Plasma cutter
        Piper bender
        Press
        Welding table
        Engine hoist
        Trans jack
        Last edited by Russell; September 11, 2014, 06:35 PM.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
          I like the 2 post lifts better, you go with a 4 post then the suspension is always loaded, more stuff to work around... 2 post, everything's open underneath, much easier.

I agree. Four posts are not useful for suspension or brake work at all.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

If you've got a lift, a trans jack is exceedingly helpful. Also, I don't remember what the proper name for it is, but it's basically a post jack. makes life a lot easier.

EDIT: Guess I shoulda read Russels post.
            Last edited by tedly; September 11, 2014, 07:42 PM.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Digital camera and a laptop, if you don't already have one. Internet access in the shop. Label maker...
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

laser welder
                press brake
                jump shear
                mig
                tig
                plasma
                4 hydraulic presses
                2 post lift
                5 sets of tools

those are the bare minimums
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Big checkbook. Legitimate cash balance on hand.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

If you're going to be doing fab work and can take the time to learn it, get CAD software of some kind. Seriously. I know some of the things I'm suggesting sound weird, but trust me. These are the things I have found most useful.
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Afternoon guys...well things are progressing. My brother is finalizing the plans on his new house. Lucky SOB, three bay garage...forty feet deep. 6 months out yet before she's built from what he's telling me.
                      Large enough on the two car door opening to pull in two F350 dualies. On the single bay side, it's 20 feet wide just for that "single" car area.
                      I lost the battle on the lift. I was pushing for a two post rotary lift. I want to be able to pull bodies off frames...he's going to order a Bendpak 4 post. I'm not fond of the China made bendpak however. I was thinking a Backyard Buddy, I prefer their leg and lock design.

He's getting my parts washer that I've not had space to use at my garage.

He found a system of aluminum modular pegboard that looks really bitchin'.
                      A high school buddy of his that is a carpenter is building the cabinets for the garage. Counter tops are going to be a mix of Maple and carbon fiber...I'm like why CF, and he's like why the hell not, I want to piss money away, might as well be cool.

The compressor situation is a mix, for now his upright is better than nothing. I have my 120V welder which is good enough for light stuff to 1/4" and thinner.

A newer Miller 220V welder is on my list for real fab work but that's for another day.

He's worked his ass off to get to this stage in life, so I'm excited for him.

Now, I just need to find a solid CJ5 jeep or a second gen 70-71 Camaro for the first project vehicle.
                      Andrew
                      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

4post lift is good for parking on

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                          4post lift is good for parking on
                          I agree here! The "ramps" are so wide, it is hard to work around.. 2 guys I know have 4 posters, almost sold one my antique single post! I understand where your bro is coming from, 4 is bigger than 2 therefore better.. 4 does not always hold more weight..

Comment

I was full on 4 post until I was roundly educated by my professional mechanic buddies. I'll be ordering a two post in January.

I would suggest that the most important tool is the shop itself. Lots of electricity, lots of light, insulated, etc. Don't spend all the money on the tools and not address the needs of the shop itself.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Amen to that. It sucks trying to work on stuff with fancy tools when you're shivering. You wouldn't believe the utility bills a poorly insulated shop can run up. Last winter my utilities were more than the rent at my place for several months, $700+ a month.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X