BBC question ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC question ????

I'm looking at picking up some BBC parts....heads intake and carb. The guy wants me to make him an offer and won't nail down a price. Heads are casting# 336781 and they are fresh/rebuilt by a decent shop here in town. I know enough from date code/pass X stamping, but are these desireable heads? The intake is cast# 3883948 and Qjet # 704 0205 EH

My knowledge is very limited on factory stuff, let alone BBC parts. He says that the intake/carb combo is specific to late 60's 350hp 396 engines, and that the heads "are the ones everyone is looking for". I don't want to insult the guy with some lowball offer, but I still would like to get a decent deal. The goal is to put together a "budget" 396/454 for my camaro.

So what kind of $$$$ you guys think this stuff is worth? I know he has a # in mind and he'll take whatever I offer as long as I'm in the ballpark.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: BBC question ????

Yes the heads are good, they are large oval ports 253cc, also they are open chambered 118cc. These are the same heads I have on my 454 that's going in my '71 GMC. The only thing I did was had them put 2.19 and 1.88 valves in it.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
      Yes the heads are good, they are large oval ports 253cc, also they are open chambered 118cc. These are the same heads I have on my 454 that's going in my '71 GMC. The only thing I did was had them put 2.19 and 1.88 valves in it.
      118cc :o Can you get any compression out of that?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I just sold 12 sets of early BBC heads. I'd say not more than $250-300 for the heads unless he has paper to prove what has been done, and it was more than just a standard valve job.

$50-75 for the intake. The carb is anyone's guess.

I'd sell you a set of '70 LS-5 heads. They are complete and in good shape, but need to be done. Freight might be killer though.

Comment

Thats the nice thing about these, they're done.....decked, 3 angle valve job, new valves/springs/etc, bronze guides. The shop that did them is an higher end shop and his receipt shows over $900 worth of work. Thanks for the responses so far.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Well, there you go. The castings themselves are not really worth much. What makes those round port heads worth anything is the money spent on them and the quality of the work.

Sounds like a nice set to grab. Hope you get a deal on them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick

YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT

Comment

Originally posted by MentalMuffinMan

YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT
                I don't mess with Chevy junk. Compared to the 68cc's on my Buick heads, that is ginormous.

Comment

the 2bbl 396 has domed pistons....big block Chevys are different than buicks

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

So which are the better type of BBC head, open or closed chambered?

I don't care much for domes =P

Comment

10.5:1 with a small dome piston.

Comment

So which are the better type of BBC head, open or closed chambered?

I don't care much for domes =P
                        Open, less shrouding of the valves.

Comment

need a bigger dome with the open chambers for the same compression, but also you generally get less quench and better airflow with the open chambers.

I don't worry too much about it, I use what I have

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                          X