Got a spare million for a panhead ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
    1 mill for a chopped pan...no thanks...could build 30 of them or more for that price....stupid.
    They've got one just like it at the Barber Motorsports Museum outside of Birmingham AL. If we want to see "one." But since that's not "it," it's not worth a million bucks. Funny what some folks will pay for and grin and "win."

Kinda like Eric Clapton's Stratocaster "Blackie," that he played on the Layla album, it went for a million or something insane. That auction was for Clapton's charity, so all was well. But it's just a guitar. I've got a stack of guitars - played by peewee. Same guitar, well different but still just a guitar. Think they're worth a mint because I played them? That's the part I don't "get," but lots of folks do "get" the allure I reckon.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Some people love something so much that by owning something related to that something they feel they have become part of it...that and bragging rights. When you have everything you need something to disinguish yourself from others who have everything....people are strange...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Does it come with a 'Certificate of Authenticity'??
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          I'll certifically guarantee that I have a red brick right here in our back yard that was legitimately stepped on by Andrew Jackson when he was on the campaign through here to alleviate the South from rouge buffaloes. I have the brick and the certificate. Signed by me. That brick is worth 95,000 dollars.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

3 of them, as if one wasn't enough...

Comment

As DB said, it comes with three CoA; one is signed by the National Motorcycle Museum, where it was displayed for 12 years. Another is from Peter Fonda and a third from Dan Haggerty. Four motorcycles were created for the movie, but only one is known to have survived. Three of the motorcycles were stolen, even before the movie was released and they were never recovered. After the film was finished, Hopper told Haggerty to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                2.5 or 3.5 Gallon tanks....30 to 40 MPG on an old panhead
                If memory serves me - those peanut tanks were no where close to 2.5 gallons - more like 1.5. So you could go 50 miles which might be a good distance to take a break on a hardtail without a springer hub.

Comment

does that count the 20 mile back track to locate your missing kidneys?
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Most of us wore a kidney belt for long rides, under our leathers ... a quickie to the water hole, well that's a different story altogether !

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                      Most of us wore a kidney belt for long rides, under our leathers ... a quickie to the water hole, well that's a different story altogether !
                      did you guys take a trip to Mexico on a bunch of 350's ? Cadillacs in comparison!!

/edit - solid motor mount 350 is pretty buzzy, but a solid mount 74 or 80 inch common crank pinned twin is rough! Break out the lead for the handlebars!!
                      Last edited by Beagle; September 18, 2014, 07:01 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        did you guys take a trip to Mexico on a bunch of 350's ? Cadillacs in comparison!!
                        Oh yeah, the Epic Journey! Keith Turk, Mark, Paul Whalen (Purple Cobra) and I rode four "Root Beer" brown 1974 Honda 350 Four's from Alabama to Mexico and back in a week, only using two-lane roads, staying at Mom 'n Pop roadside B&B's and eating in local greasy spoons (No Interstates, highways or franchise establishments for us). We started to pull over at every Memorial marker or Scenic Overlook to enjoy life, but that got old real quick ... we weren't getting in any mileage! It was one of the most fantastic adventures I've had ... and yeah, it was smooth travelling comparatively.

From left to right; Mark had "Cafe' 'Ole", I was on "The Rattler", Paul was on "Big Easy" and Keith had "The Family Truckster".

Last edited by Monster; September 18, 2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Rode a couple 1 and 2 cylinder 350's.. Makes me wonder how the 4's were/are.. Still got my 1978 Honda single 350.. Hard as hell to start but I sure enjoy puttering on it!

Comment

Working...
                          X