The NFL Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NFL Police

This one's gonna be hard to write. I'll try to do it. I hope I don't do it all wrong.

First, I love football. College and pro. That is, I love to watch. Huge guys running into each other at a high rate of speed because they want to. I'll never stop being a fan. It's just....well I'm a fan. Everybody talks about it, it's a great sport. And college football is a farm program for the pros. Of course it is. And one question is, do NCAA players actually get paid? Maybe not with money......well that's another discussion for another day. They're not "supposed" to get "paid." If they "do" we're not supposed to see all of that.

So pro ball. It seems, I'm old......been following it loosely for a real long time......NFL players are getting in BIG trouble for the very first time. Like, a violent video in an elevator. Like, hurting kids.......let's take it all into perspective.....The smackdown is all of a sudden and heavy by the league. After about a hundred years.

Here's where I don't know what to say....they're paying huge very young testosterone overloaded over-emotional guys millions of dollars and throwing them into the national spotlight. Where if they weren't great football players, I'm not sure what else they would be good at doing....and they end up faring well, with diamonds in their ear lobes and stuff. And just a FEW of them do bad things. Real bad things. And that's what makes the news.

And the NFL bans them for doing violent things to their wives or kids, the same thing that they do to other players on the field all the time....maybe because they can't control it, I dunno. It's surfaced and the press is loving it, the football players that are in trouble with the new rule of behavior. The press is CHASING it. And finding it.

I don't think I wrote this very well at all. It's a moving target.

Last edited by pdub; September 17, 2014, 07:28 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

It's a toss-up between the thugs in the NFL and the NBA. Just depends on what time of year they need the publicity.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

This is a hard topic to discuss without bringing up various demographic perspectives. If you live in a town that only has the college sports teams to cheer for, or a state where the two big colleges have a rivalry that is second to no big league tiff, you get a humbling view of what that unseen pay really is. Metaphorically and philosophically speaking, you can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

As I've mentioned on numerous occasions, the last time I really watched football as a fan.... Bradshaw was still playing for the Steelers.
        Now I pay no attention. The NFL is full of druggies, drug dealers, thugs, murderers, drunks, and general ne'er-do-wells.
        That said, the only reason anyone is paying any attention right now is the weaselly libs in charge right now.
        They want to stop the NFL dead, and then they'll come after college football....

Yes, I took it political - 'cause anyone who's been paying attention knows it's true.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

[QUOTE=studemax;n968851] NFL is full of druggies, drug dealers, thugs, murderers, drunks, and general ne'er-do-wells.
          QUOTE]

That's sure what we hear about, because that's what the press chases and reports. I'd love to believe otherwise, but I do live in Fairyland, after all. Maybe it's so.

I quit watching NASCAR for reasons......I dunno, I'll have a hard time, a much harder time quitting watching football. But....maybe I should just quit thinking.

Comment

I think the drugie/wife beater/child abuser comments are a little overstated. A lot of people say "I don't know whats wrong with kids today" truth is nothing in wrong with them. If you spend anytime around young folks you'll find out that most of them have a pretty good grip on whats what. .The press loves bad news; it sells. Nobody pays attention to a young man helped an old lady change a tire bot will head line he grabed her purse. Same applies to the NFL. If you really examine the guys involved you'll find out that they organize youth programs, use their signing bonus to buy their single parent mom a house, etc. Take a look at guys Like Larry Fitzgerald, ex-quartedback Warner and many many others. They aren't bad guys, just a few get the press.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              NFL is full of druggies, drug dealers, thugs, murderers, drunks, and general ne'er-do-wells.
              That's sure what we hear about, because that's what the press chases and reports. I'd love to believe otherwise, but I do live in Fairyland, after all. Maybe it's so.

I quit watching NASCAR for reasons......I dunno, I'll have a hard time, a much harder time quitting watching football. But....maybe I should just quit thinking.
              IMO, it's harder to stop watching football because of the time of year it's played. Football is a cold weather sport played when the majority of car guys are in the garage working n their toys rather than out driving their toys. Or in some cases, the toy is parked and doesn't need work so the owner finds an indoor activity for the winter.

Nascar is a warm weather sport when those than can are out doing while those that dream are watching drivers go in circles looking for the finish line.

News is much more sensationalized these days than it was 10 years ago, or before 9/11 anyway. Not saying 9/11 was sensationalized, just saying that was a turning point in news coverage...IMO. Also with today's picture / video phones in the hands of every breathing soul over the age of six, coupled with the post 9/11 security camera coverage of all possible public places, every action anyone makes is documented and relayed for the scrutiny of the world without the offending party(ies) being able to plea their case. Many times the video only captures part of the story...

just my personal thought processing, your (y'alls) views probably differs.....
              Last edited by 68scott385; September 17, 2014, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post

Nascar is a warm weather sport .....
                And baseball. Oh SHIT, It's nearly raining!!!!!!! Holy DANG!!!! STOP, STOP, RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crimminy craps, stop, we can't DO this in the rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

And baseball.

Probably why I only catch the World Series. Don't they play on Saturdays?
                  Last edited by 68scott385; September 17, 2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind with all the screaming from the media about how evil the NFL is....
                    And then remember that they ran off Tim Tebow because he was a Christian....
                    The NFL doesn't wanna be good - being bad brings in the money!
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

sometimes i wonder if all these wonderful things they do for charity is nothing more then a tax write off? maybe pick up a little good publicity on the way?

some teams would put up with any bad behavior to win. while others have always kept they're players to a higher standard, namely the packers.

i think free agency has kinda ruined the NFL. players switch teams so often anymore its not funny. its that thug, show me the money, i'm not a team player, attitude, that makes free agency a stupid thing.

Comment

Originally posted by redneckjoe69 View Post

some teams would put up with any bad behavior to win. while others have always kept they're players to a higher standard, namely the packers.
                        That's a mighty rich statement right there Joe.

On the front end of it, I'd say namely the Cowboys. On the back end of it, I'd say every other team EXCEPT for the Packers. You nailed it.

Shoot, last week, the Steelers, "our" Steelers....dude was running a kick back all the way, did a gazelle leap to clear the last guy, ironically the "kicker," ... he had him cleared and on the way down he saw fit to kick the kicker in the head like stomping a hairy spider. That made me go GYAH for 15 minutes. I mean GYAH.

And they showed the Steeler dude on the sidelines beating himself on the helmet, like, "What was I thinking?" Well, only you know, dude. In that particular quarter of a second with the adrenalin pumping and the cameras rolling and the crowd yelling. that was not the proverbial "football move." That was....that was bad. I threw him out of the league right then and there, but nobody else did. Yep, "our" Steelers.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                          the weaselly libs in charge right now.
                          They want to stop the NFL dead, and then they'll come after college football....
                          ...and here they come....

Anheuser-Busch has long been one of the NFL's most prominent sponsors. However, if the brewing company is concerned enough with the league's bad press to decide to end its contract, apparently it could do so without penalty.

Comment

Working...
                          X