Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to rubber mount my transmission cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to rubber mount my transmission cooler?

I am installing a new bigger transmission cooler. It is a plate type (b&m) style. I am not mounting it to the radiator it will be mounted by itself. I don't think it is neccesary to rubber mount it but I thought I would ask. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

should not need to be rubber mounted.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Use plumbers strap

Comment

It can be solid mounted but you'll need some flexible tubing somewhere between the engine/trans and the cooler. The drivetrain will move and, assuming that the cooler is mounted to the body or frame, it won't.

Dan

Comment

All the above is correct because of the flexible lines.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            It can be solid mounted but you'll need some flexible tubing somewhere between the engine/trans and the cooler. The drivetrain will move and, assuming that the cooler is mounted to the body or frame, it won't.
            That would be a good idea. Although....for decades, car makers used hard lines to connect the radiator transmission cooler to the transmission. Hundreds of millions of them. And they never seemed to have any problems.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

he may be referring to frequency, like a radiator on rubber feet.

try either way.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

That would be a good idea. Although....for decades, car makers used hard lines to connect the radiator transmission cooler to the transmission. Hundreds of millions of them. And they never seemed to have any problems.
                Jim - you have a point, up to a point.

1) Generally the rads were mounted on rubber feet so there was some "give" in that end of the mounting, and:

2) The lines were long enough to have some "give" in them even though they were solid lines. So yes, depends on the situation.

Dan

Comment

I solid mounted my B&M cooler. Only 1500 miles so far but no problems. I am running rubber hoses though. If you are doing the rubber hose thing, make sure you use hoses for hydraulic fluids, they are not the same as oil/gas hoses.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

1) Generally the rads were mounted on rubber feet so there was some "give" in that end of the mounting
                    GM radiators were mounted in rubber starting around 1970, but they didn't really have any give...it was just a way to keep the mounting straps from coming unsoldered (by eliminating the straps). Ford and Mopar used solid mounted radiators for a long time.

And yes, the hard lines were long, which allowed some twisting of the engine.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Now I'm heading off to my Way Back machine to try to remember how the old Buick rads were mounted. I'm sure you're right but darn if I can remember. I replaced more than 1 core support back then (we did a bit of body replacement when things were slow in the shop) so you'd think I could pull that up but it WAS a long time ago.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X