Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• climate change march

310,000 people. http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/2...-change-march/

Al Gore spoke up a long time ago, I was a young airman in the ranks of suboordinate in the 90s. he was my vice president.

Not liking treehugging at the time, had a big v8 monte carlo ( factory black, and yes a dale earnhardt fan). I dove into future thoughts myself... took on a little boxer, been there ever since.

funny enough, the new corvettes and the tall challenger by dodge gets the same gas mileage. A lot has gotten real smart. the facts are written, time was indeed spoken ahead.

Not much to worry about, everything is getting smarter, except the surge in china. I wonder where the hate on this subject comes from. Facts are plain and simply written... unless an lsd experiment hippy survivor from the 60s.

That is not the same as viet nam. Not even close.

anyway.. I ponder the opinions. 2014 is indeed the warmest year ever written.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 21, 2014, 05:06 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

One of Gorge Carlon's jokes was that scientists discovered saliva causes cancer but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long time. Do we stops swallowing if true? Green house gases are restoring the ozone layer according to new studies.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

We had the coldest summer here I ever remember that was after one of the worst winter I ever remember so its not warming anymore so now its just change. Changing to what? I think there are bigger fish to fry these days.

Comment

I've read up a little on the topic not because I'm a tree hugger, just to know both sides argument. The reason they say it's fossil fuel is because they can't carbon date the CO2 accurately. CO2 from fossil fuel can not be carbon dated because it's too old. Any who, I remember as a kid in elementary school in prehistoric times, we were told the Amazon jungle was a major source for O2. We all know trees convert CO2 to O2. Now with all the South American countries doing the slash and burn to the Amazon, isn't that effecting things?
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
          We had the coldest summer here I ever remember that was after one of the worst winter I ever remember so its not warming anymore so now its just change. Changing to what? I think there are bigger fish to fry these days.
          one has to fly at 50000 feet for a time to realize how puny our backyard mind is.

when cold moves in on the northern summer, something has heated it at the poles.
          overall world average is the best one to monitor, today allows it.

I got all windows open, a door, as the leaves explode into their colors..outside is cool, but something nearly choked me to death in this overnight process taking place...airless hot bomb.

trees keep a whole spring and summer. Still not like it used to be, the autumn...but the 100+ yr old hardwoods are fighters anyway. Glad to feel the cool breeze.
          as chaotic as travels can be, I am back in a town I lived in 26 years ago.I was broke as could be, befriending wildlife as a survivalist. I just happen to learn hardwoods, I hate pines, deciduous has a genius thing to say.

memory clicked right back in like a computer, I can only pretend it is not warmer. I am paying attention to the stats..good thing to do.

anyway, not to be treehugger in impressions, I hang here at bangshift after 6 years of air force holy hell, was still some old engines filling the skies back then... and my own v8s built to be big.

Cars are not the problem, in fact, they may be the cure. undissolved carbon is the heat, cars dish off a finished process... it even gathers unfinished stuff outside them.
          A chemist approach will only prove machines are good, the black carbons are neutral.

hot rod daily, they are not the evil.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 22, 2014, 10:29 AM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

All political.

Main source of O2 has always been the oceans and the associated plankton, etc in it. Land forests are a secondary source.

Like bubbles in soda, CO2 in the ocean is expended into the atmosphere with warmth, and absorbed into the ocean when cooled, hence is CO2 in the atmosphere correlative or causative? Of course it rises with warmth and drops when cool and "ice core" resolution is not great enough to tell the difference because the rise and falls because they happen concurrently. Which IMO, begs the question since we have significantly raised the CO2 concentration, why hasn't temp tracked with it at the same rate? Warming in general has been happening since the end of the ice age 12,000 years ago, with out the assistance of man.

Todays technology, the only CO2 neutral source of energy that we have the ability to produce at large enough quantities to shift off petroleum products (for power plants and transportation) is nuclear power. A large number of nuclear plants need to be built, which is a political issue only. The only nuclear plants that have problems are 30+ years old, aka all ours, and all the "at risk" ones over seas. Fukishima (sp?) was over 40 years old. Safety systems are far superior with today's technology. Likewise, these plants could shift us to a hydrogen economy via electroysis that would essentially be hydrogen and oxygen neutral since it goes back to water when the hydrogen is used.

Solar is making great head way, but will never generate enough to shift transportation off petroleum. At least not with the power solar cells of today or even ones that generate a magnitude of order more power make. Something quite revolutionary in the technology would have to happen. This of course doesn't even take into account the fickle nature of it.

A nice article a week or two old on what makes New York so carbon friendly.
            On September 23, NYC will host the United Nations Climate Summit, one of the foremost events to address reducing carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions that threaten the quality of life for billions of people. As New York offers a showcase for how to have a vibrant economy and low carbon emissions, it is especially fitting the conference is here.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Comment

So that's why - those rat bastards!!!!!!

yesterday it was sunny and beautiful, today it's raining and miserable. I hate tree huggers!!!!!
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

something humbling from the onset of the al gore awareness.. middle 90s.
                  I was actually hanging out at a frat house at the time, there was a voluntary vow to make a little car be bigger.
                  my friend had a nissan sentra. he was well over 6 foot. We both got poked fun at for trying to ride in it, especially with military clothing on.

The highlight of that whole midget coupe was the new style alternators, I got one in my subaru today from a maxima...this is early 90s stuff mind you.

what made it funny, none of us talking of this stuff was little car kinda guys... more footballish or sports players.

I never forgot, even after disabled, half brained, quarantined, homeless and hopeless... the little car is still outside today. Ready for a landspeed record formally written.

not to be all miserable, the friend i worked with ended up a survivor of the same military tour, a leader in the frat house (that gets remembered), and moved onto a big career in another state.
                  To this day, I would speak up of the little car...if we were to chat again. Both in our 40s today.

I was remembered for being the gothic chevy driver, and the v8 that rattled the building.

anyway, when I think of little cars, I get to thinking of my frat house friend..and the purple hearts we never got. Both of us life threatened, the real versions of lucky to be alive.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 22, 2014, 07:25 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

This says greenhouse gasses is not causing climate warming.. It is merely wind shifts...

Comment

What it really says is stats will prove what ever point you are trying to make. The reality doesn't have to match for the stats to match.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                        What it really says is stats will prove what ever point you are trying to make. The reality doesn't have to match for the stats to match.
                        Yes.. Data can be manupilated to reach yours or my point of view... Happens all the time..

Comment

Statistics is lying with numbers. I love statistics
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I dont care really, I will be dead before anything major happens. While I am here though, I will be hugging trees and driving monster sized Pontiac V8s that will run so squeaky clean I could port the exhaust into a greenhouse and grow food. Climate is changing, it has been my entire life. This is going to be a rough winter up here, been cold as hell all year, which isnt unusual really, and I can feel it already. The trees are changing, the air is cold at night, and my knees ache. No matter what I do, it wont matter because everyone else is still doing the same old thing. Im running ethanol because I can make it dirt cheap and I love lots of compression in my engines.

When you have 200+ maple trees and you can get 80 gallons of sap from six of them, they should make a sizable amount of Goat fuel every year. Once its all rebuilt and operable, nothing I own will run on gasoline, not even my woodchipper or snowblower. Why? Because I can, that its clean and good for the environment is a bonus to me. I want the power and not have to pay $4+ a gallon to enjoy it.

Comment

59.6% of all statistics are made up........
                              Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 23, 2014, 07:21 AM.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X