73 vette value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 vette value

Oxymoron? A friend of mine came from a well to do family. His father had bought a new vette in 73 I guess as a mid life crisis fun toy. His brother now owns the car. He is well off and owns the car. He's a bit of a recluse, single, not a car guy, doesn't really car nor use the car and has decided to sell it...along with the 1937 mahogany Chris Craft that was his dad's. He plans on moving to Florida. The vette has always been in the family, always adult owned and driven. The car has been sitting for about 5 years or so. My friend's brother never drove it that much. What I do know it's a L48 350 and four speed car. It's all original, never modified. It was maintained as far as oil changes, brakes, tires and usual maintenance stuff. I realize from sitting it may very well need brake lines and so on. Now I need another car in my driveway like I need a hole in the head or colonoscopy. BUT my friend's brother wants $2000! So I'm thinking I should be the guy to get a barn find cheap and flip it. I'm guessing it could fetch about $5K. It ran 5 years ago, it should run now as long as the block isn't cracked from freezing. My friend talks about the car but he's not interested in it but would like to see the car driven instead of sitting.
    I do plan on taking a boat load (pun intended) of the Chris Craft and posting them.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

chris craft seems more interesting.

I am thinking rusted egr tubes on every port for some reason, with the vette..
    and the engine crossmember by seals that never seal.

2k is worth another motor perhaps.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post

.... always adult owned and driven....

I have to laugh every time I see this comment about a car. The reason is the way this adult drive his cars...like they were stolen, mostly.

Other wise I say grab it and run.

Oh, and start a build / resto thread on it.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I'll be watching this thread, I got a Vette but the Chris Craft intrigues me, a guy on the lake has one its beautiful just hope it's been stored right or the wood and caulking could be dried out or have some rot. $$$$$. Still I will be watching
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

73 was the last muncie first egr

Comment

Drool..... Jealousy.....isn't gasland technically PA? That's fairly close to Ohio, sure you want to waste time on this clunker?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              Drool..... Jealousy.....isn't gasland technically PA? That's fairly close to Ohio, sure you want to waste time on this clunker?
              Yeah I'm in PA, about 20 miles north of Scranton in Wyoming county. Lots of drilling here. I honestly don't know the condition. My best guess it's all original and complete. I' counting on rotted brake lines and frozen calipers. I remember back in the mid 70's when I worked the parts counter, there were a lot of problems with the pistons rusting in the calipers. The big thing was to get the rebuilt units from Stainless Steel brakes. They cost a lot back then. I'm not holding my breath on this one. A lot can happen. If it works out, it'll be great. If not, that'll be 2k I can put towards a credit card bill. Win- win either way.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Yeah I'm in PA, about 20 miles north of Scranton in Wyoming county. Lots of drilling here. I honestly don't know the condition. My best guess it's all original and complete. I' counting on rotted brake lines and frozen calipers. I remember back in the mid 70's when I worked the parts counter, there were a lot of problems with the pistons rusting in the calipers. The big thing was to get the rebuilt units from Stainless Steel brakes. They cost a lot back then. I'm not holding my breath on this one. A lot can happen. If it works out, it'll be great. If not, that'll be 2k I can put towards a credit card bill. Win- win either way.

by now, they've probably been replaced with Stainless lined calipers. Of course, that's not a win because the fluid will rust the caliper around the liner then it will leak from there.

2k for a 73 is a good price, you could flip it and make 1k-???? depending on condition. With that said, while the tub is fiberglass, the frame and the windshield frame are steel - and they do, routinely, rust back to dust.... so you might have something cool or parts that may or may not equal the 2k investment.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Pa does not seem to use acid on the road like ct ny nj

Comment

They put down salt and brine as well. I gotta say Jim, they're tougher on annual inspection. They give the car a good once over with that "safety" loop hole that varies shop to shop. At the minimum the structure and floor boards must not have any rust. No emissions inspection in my county though.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

To hell with the Vette .... how much does he want for that old crappy worn out boat ?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                        To hell with the Vette .... how much does he want for that old crappy worn out boat ?!?!

Interested?
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Interested?
                          Yes, mabey, as you get further involved post pictures and we'll fight over it As for the vette brake lines might be okay except for the exposed ones you can see but calipers yep buy new ones ( stainless of course )
                          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I'll text my friend and ask about the price. We were going this Friday but not sure if he can
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                            X