old car dilemma - keep together or part out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old car dilemma - keep together or part out

I've been asked for advice from a friend with a beat-up 66 New Yorker. A few years ago, the 440 was rebuilt using a Summit kit (all forged rotating assembly). Since he didn't want to throw money into a torque converter or rear gears, the cam is really small, which causes a bit of knocking since the CR might be a little high for such a heavy car with such a small cam. The crappy mileage (and bad driver's door) is what killed the car being driven. It has a new Edelbrock 600, but it doesn't improve things much.

The car has been majorly neglected and the body and wiring are in need of help. He's tired of having the car taking up driveway space and wants to pull the motor/trans and have the car taken away (for free if someone takes it, but w/o engine/trans) and then sell the engine/trans (original to his 66).

My questions are "Would he get more $ for the eng/trans than the car with everything?" and "Would the engine be better to disassemble and sell in parts or all together?". I think the body is pretty far gone. He'd love to get $900 out of this somehow, which seems reasonable since he has about $2000 of parts receipts for engine stuff. My guess is it's better going out in a lot of separate parts.
    Tampa, FL

Re: old car dilemma - keep together or part out

looks like you answered your own question....

part it out...eliteman has a sawzall he is real horny to use right now.... ;D ;D
    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Re: old car dilemma - keep together or part out

Perhaps he could get a tax write off by donating the car to the wrecks-to-reefs program :D
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
      X