Paint it black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint it black?

I have to pull the motor on my Fairlane, this seems like a good time to ditch the red engine paint and Edelbrock elite valve covers and air cleaner.

Trying to decide if I should go for the stock look for a 289 HiPo in 63/64 (black with gold valve covers gold air cleaner) or Ford blue. Also if I should paint the heads and intake instead of leaving them aluminum, same with the BeCool radiator. Any one paint aluminum heads or radiator?

Re: Paint it black?

Hmm, whatcha doing with the red air cleaner& valve covers? I know a guy...
    Anyway, I'd paint it black and let them guess. I don't think the gold will work on a red car, but thats just me.

Comment

I would go black on the engine. It stays looking nice for longer and doesn't show every leak. After spending the money on aluminum heads and radiator I would leave them plain for everyone to see ( unless you want to make a sleeper out of it) That is just my opinion, it is your your car, paint it whatever way you think will make it look good.

Comment

Originally posted by mf68chevelle
        I would go black on the engine. It stays looking nice for longer and doesn't show every leak. After spending the money on aluminum heads and radiator I would leave them plain for everyone to see ( unless you want to make a sleeper out of it) That is just my opinion, it is your your car, paint it whatever way you think will make it look good.
        +1 what he said

Comment

I say Cast Iron.

I'd post a pic of my motor, but imageshack is down or at least not working for me right now.

Comment

Here it's working now.

And a better pic of the color.

Comment

I prefer the factory engine color, unless its a custom or something.

Black would be a sight better than red.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Great looking motor TC, may not be the look for this car but will think about it.

Comment

I'm a bit of a purist here - I'd go with ford blue - the por15 stuff is really nice. I'd probably repaint the red edelbrock stuff ford blue as well - it brushes on really smooth.

Black or silver would work good too.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I like Ford blue also so may go that way, I was suprised to find out early HiPo 289 were black as were 260's. I ordered some plain tall valve covers.

Comment

Like the grey, not so much the red. I'll never paint another motor black; yes it hides oil leaks.... in a frustrating, wrench throwing, cuss inducing way.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                        Like the grey, not so much the red. I'll never paint another motor black; yes it hides oil leaks.... in a frustrating, wrench throwing, cuss inducing way.
                        LOL
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Paint it white. I made that mistake once. BOOM!!! Crank met crossmember.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

tc , we used to call that color polish chrome

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                              Better start liking red, you're a Buick Guy now! haha.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X