period-correct additions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• period-correct additions?

Trying to spruce up the old chevy a bit this fall/winter with some period-style add ons. Specifically valve covers, a tach (factory one isnt the most accurate), and possibly wheels. What should I be loking at? Ive found some older tachs on Ebay, but im not sure what you would find on a car back in 1970. For valve covers I did find these local, but sadly I have a black block, not orange.
    Used pair of valve covers good shape 75
    Local person
    sigpic

look real close at tail lamps.
    I found gm had a purply offset color.. one could tell a real SS from the others.
    the last known use was the monte carlo SS, 1980s.
    There is a purply version of tail lamp version of camaro, the 90s..but it was not called an SS.

About the most secretive trait I ever found, and it was with my own eyes.
    Subaru also used the offset darker lamp in special edition 1980s...resembling american SS.

this one fact is elusive enough where it was dclared an eror in lamp manufacture, and not on purpose by self proclaimed gurus.
    I only guess it was early impala SS, first use.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 27, 2014, 09:21 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

..... What?
      Local person
      sigpic

Comment

Monk on here has a ton of vintage tachs. Not sure if he would part with any. You could ask. At the very least, he or Squirrel could tell you what was on the cars back then.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A set of aluminum finned stock or Mickey Thompson valve covers were under a lot of hoods, wish I still had mine. And of course a good vintage Sun tach, now THAT I still have in my 68 Nova. Wheels, Cragar SS was all the rage although I personally preferred the original satin finish Centerline's, those too are still on my Nova. My 2 ¢
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Ill see what I can find tonight- I was hoping squirrel ornMonk would chime in, since they know all! But apparently adding a fresh tach is too late- Transmission is toast.
            Local person
            sigpic

Comment

4-speed with a Vertical gate shifter, also still in my Nova. I guess you'd consider it a time capsule.
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                Trying to spruce up the old chevy a bit this fall/winter with some period-style add ons. Specifically valve covers, a tach (factory one isnt the most accurate), and possibly wheels. What should I be loking at? Ive found some older tachs on Ebay, but im not sure what you would find on a car back in 1970. For valve covers I did find these local, but sadly I have a black block, not orange.
                Have the valve covers bead blasted and they will fit your vibe just fine.
                Email me at
                [email protected]

I'll give you details on tach and an inexpensive route to take to get the job done
                Monk
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                X