What Hot Rodding technoligy do you wish had not been invented

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Hot Rodding technoligy do you wish had not been invented

I was talking to a friend about cars and e.t.s and he was longing for a time of slower cars (I don't get it) talking about how much turbo's efi and even NOS have made cars faster and ruined it for NA guys. All of those are things I like but it make me think, if I could alter the path of hot rodding what would I un invent. I am a lousy gear banger but have to say if automatics and there planetary cousins had not been developed and all drag racers had to "do the Crow" it would be interesting. Any thoughts?

N2O. Not a fan though I have messed with it on the Camaro. What I don't like is that it makes (especially young) folks think that they are engine builders when all they've done is bolt on a kit. Of course there is a whole other level of nitrous users - the guys who build a whole engine and a whole car to accommodate and optimize the technology but the nitrous companies live by the kids who buy (in large quantities) kits and bolt them onto their Civics (or similar).

Hell, when I was a boy........ We selected cams (usually too big), saved for them, but actually took our engines apart and got greasy installing that cam. So we learned what the insides of an engine looked like - at least the top end. If we could scrounge the funds we added an intake and a 4 barrel and learned a little about tuning 'cause it was usually way too rich. Nitrous has made power gains sort of an external practice - little actual wrenching is required.

Besides, the bottle runs dry.......

Dan

Comment

Timing delay boxes used in Sportsman classes like Super Gas. It has taken what used to be fun and exciting racing and turned it into a real snorefest.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post
        Timing delay boxes used in Sportsman classes like Super Gas. It has taken what used to be fun and exciting racing and turned it into a real snorefest.
        Well said

Comment

Small block Chevys.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Pneumatic tires. Flats are just annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post
              Absofreakinlutely!
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Half shafts. Get rid of the FWD!
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Fake steel braided hose covering and fake A/N fitting clamp covers....
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    Half shafts. Get rid of the FWD!
                    Makes some very exciting bump to pass with FWD! RWD is boringin the mud unless in derbys ..

Comment

its all good.
                      no complaints about inventions.

the timers invented for boost fixed 100% of n/a problems. it is funny.. market wants to play one up on everybody.

I'll stay one behind and wait.

complaining of half shafts is quite weird. The number one reason no n/a engine got real timers is because the chassis they were in could not get their whole motor...

the automaric stuff I agree with, but its just the old ones that slip off 50% of everything. The new ones can even slap a paddle shifter around. A guru knew how to dial the autoimatics in anyway... my complaint was the fluid. I was quick lube man, the tranny complaints never ended.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Cord autos were FWD... All hot rodders should be respected...What if Vic Edelbrock had not been allowed to market the slingshot intake? Different doesn't mean bad...
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Hot rodders (like everyone else) have to earn my respect. Some of them haven't. No, I'm not naming names.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Eh nothing really bothers me technology wise, nitrous, turbos, blowers, whatever, it's fun beating them with a low buck naturally aspirated engine. Sure a serious car with power adders are tough or way beyond my rides, but not all of them are serious. I've run nitrous, never used it in a race, just playing around with it. Want to build blower and turbo cars, and I will in time.

wishing for a simpler time is kinda lame, if you want to do something old school, just do it old.

Comment

'88 Caprice wagons with Olds motors...

EDIT: It's a love / hate relationship; it LOVES to F*CK with me (see build thread) and I hate to think that by throwing in the towel, it would win.
                              Last edited by 68scott385; October 24, 2014, 05:10 PM.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Working...
                              X