No announcement yet.

Joyriding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still in the hunt. All said and done, the cost of the 88 dollar rims would be 260 and change. Geez, that's a lot for a gal just trying to have fun.

Comment

Guys, here's where you can help us in a hurry I'm sure, a question. Gosh I love BangShift....First some history.

When I bought Red he had "new" tires on him. Just so the guy could say new tires I'm sure. They're round and black. For 18 inch rims.

Then I decided to run the Ohio Mile in Red and found that the elCheapo tires were only rated to 120 mph. So I got a set of Goodrich G-Force tires to safely run the Mile. Put the cheapos under the house. And then I Ran Red at AMP with the G-Forces and burned off half of the rubber in one weekend and boiled the brake fluid.

Needed bigger better brakes to try that again, sold the rims and the half-gone G Forces to help finance the brakes and the 10-inch rims (and tires) needed to clear the big calipers on the front.

So back to the 18-inch cheapo tires under the house. Those are burnout fodder. That's what we're talking about. Those tires measure 8.5 inches across the bead, off of a rim rolling around on the ground. Can those tires be mounted on an 8.0-inch rim? Unit's finding lots more 8.0 inch rims than 8.5 inch rims. And I said originally we need 18 x 8.5 inch rims, five bolt 06 mustang pattern for those tires. If they'll mount on an 8.0 inch rim there are more (and cheaper) options it seems.

I realize I could put 17's and some dud tires on there and maybe even have more fun, but I'm stuck in the vision/concept that THOSE are the tires I want to burn up. So Unit's jumping through hoops trying to find rims they'll go onto.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

YES they will mount up! Might bulge the sidewall, probably crown the center of the tread out... But wait there's MORE!.. you can put less air in them so they sit flat.. Go get them Pdubster!

Comment

I think the 18"x8" rims should be just fine, especially for what they'll be doing (burning up tires). Don't forget to coat your rear quarters (well, RED's rear quarters) with Pam or maybe some WD40 or something - tire rubber can be sticky to get off.

Dan

Comment

Unit's a dadgum hotrod genius. She had an" idee".....will Bluebelle's wheels fit on Red? Ewwwww I went out there in the garage with a flashlight, I saw an "18" on her sidewalls. WOW!!!!! We can take the tires off of Bluebelle's rims, put the crap tires on those rims, put those on Red, do tire-wasting burnouts for a real short movie, then put Bluebelles' tires back on there and we'll only be out tire mounting fees and not be left holding some rims we don't even need.

So I did all of that, let's just SEE, that's worth a test. Changed out the wheels, Bluebelle's wheels fit perfectly on Red, the pattern, and the taper on the lugnuts is even the same, even though the studs (at the least the lug wrench required) are a different size. Got it all done and stood back to gawk.

What's wrong with this picture, it's,....no, something's amiss. Then I had to look closer at Bluebell's tire/wheel. It's a 17. I didn't look close enough. Close, but no, that won't work for the tires we already have. I got too excited upon initial inspection, Bluebelle's got 17's.

Attached Files
            Last edited by pdub; October 27, 2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Sue is a hot rod genius. And, now contributing to the delinquincy of your hubby.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'll tell you what I do have laying around P, 4 never used air pressure sensors with bands for an 07 GT. A thought you haven't even considered yet.

Comment

O.E.M. parts, say the word & they're yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Casper View Post
                    O.E.M. parts, say the word & they're yours.
                    Wow, thanks Casper! But I'm pretty sure the 06 is not set up for those. Not the "other end" of those.

Comment

No biggie. I guess they get to sit on the shelf for another 7 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X