Computer "Security"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer "Security"

My nearly-new puter that started with Windows 8.0 and then I downloaded 8.1 for free, it got so hosed up I went and got a NUTHER new computer.

On the "old" new one, I had PC Optimizer Pro to clean out junk files, I bought it. How do I reload it? I have a paid-for code, Unit wrote it down.

Went to their site. Opened the live chat thing. Hi, his name was Roger, I can help you. Let me take control of your computer if you don't mind. Sure, Roger, thank you for the help.

But then the screen said "Alex" was driving. Alex got on there and called up all kinds of stuff, all red stuff. Then he started typing on the screen right in front of my eyes. 19 live hackers detected. 324 corrupted files. Alex typed, "Do you see all of that? Your computer is seriously compromised. We have a plan that will only cost 199 dollars per year that will keep that stuff from happening."

No, thank you, and I saw you type all of that stuff, not interested, goodbye. But I couldn't close the screen. The dude was chasing my mouse around on the screen, wouldn't let me close the screen. So I did BRB (Big Red Button) abort - power off. He rang my cell phone (I had to put that in, along with my email addy before they would "help" me). An Indian-babbling guy. "We were trying to fix your kumpooter and you signed off." Yes I did, go away.

So I left the computer off for a few minutes, unplugged it from the wall even, logged back in and he was still there, chasing my mouse, wouldn't let me close the screen it was stuck on. I powered off again. He rang my cell phone again. A California number. I hung up on him. All in the name of "security." we have McAffee, dude was saying that's not compatible with our computer. And that's a danged lie, and it sure didn't stop him from getting on my computer after I said it was okay for him to get on it and do God knows what.
    Last edited by pdub; October 26, 2014, 12:16 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Unplug your Internet source. If it's wired disconnect it . If it's Wi Fi disable that .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

And get rid of pic optimizer pro. Never let them back on.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Is there a way to block them through your firewall?
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

I just downloaded Malwarebytes, it did a full scan and found no threats whatsoever on this new computer. The raghead jerk was typing error messages on my screen, poorly at that - 19 live hackers identified. Yeah, 19 including YOU and the other 18 guys standing around seeing if I'll actually put some credit card information in to get the $199 plan to "fix" it. And serious hard drive issues, on a brand new computer.

So somehow PC Optimizer's website , that link to "live chat" has been hijacked for sure. I saw it coming, sort of, this tech support person couldn't even spell "Trojan" correctly. Oh yeah, I had 9 "Trojon" viruses too. and then he calls me on my phone when I tried to get way, convincing me in broken English he is Marcosift Certified and he can be completely trusted. ....that was bad. and he/they never even addressed my initial question about how to use my product code to re-load the software I'd already bought.

Comment

I would have only charged you 195!!
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I´ve had loads of calls from "Microsoft engineers" telling me that there is an issue with my computer.
              They just want to take over lock it up and charge to release it.
              I now go along with it for a while, but then tell them I know they are scammers and should **** off.

Malwarebytes used to turn up regularly advertising on my screen telling me I was infested with so called threats
              and I could download for free..........but to make it work properly......pay up.

Last edited by malc; October 26, 2014, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Ummm.... Google "PC Optimizer Pro". I don't think you will like most of what you see.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I got McAfee for free on this new computer but when it runs out I´ll go back to AVG.
                  AVG and Spybot Search & Destroy is all I´ve ever needed.

Comment

AVG and Spybot Search & Destroy is all I´ve ever needed.
                    Plus two on the AVG and Spybot.
                    I also use CCleaner - works great.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Are you talking about the free version of AVG?

Comment

Originally posted by sueunit View Post
                        Are you talking about the free version of AVG?

No, paid.

Comment

ok. I already bought the mcafee, so I will keep it for a year. I never had a problem with just the AVG free, but thought I might need more.

Comment

Many people confuse Viruses and Malware. A Virus is a tiny program that can attach itself to almost any other program and do what it chooses. Generally it will spread itself through the computer eventually bogging it down and crashing it. Malware is a completely separate program disguised as one thing, but with a hidden purpose. Usually the purpose is to get you to spend your money on yet ANOTHER program to do what the first one did, but even better. A "malware guard" is a very tricky thing to program because malware is a simple program with an evil purpose. Try to stop malware from being installed and you will make installing ANY program, good or bad, more complicated. The best prevention is to read every one of the windows that pop up during a software installation VERY carefully and COMPLETELY. Install ONLY the program you want at that moment and leave ANYTHING else out. Use the advanced or custom mode as the automatic one will load you up with "good" stuff at will.

I haven't had any problem with MalwareBytes in the "free" mode as a clean-up AFTER a malware attack. The pay mode will attempt to screen every install against their database of bad things. This will keep your system quite busy so it had better be a big healthy one with lots of CPU and ram.

If you have some experience the most usefull tool is HiJackTHIS. Malware works as programs that run when you start your PC every time and/or launch specific programs. HiJackTHIS gives you a list of every program that loads when you start your computer or browser. The trick is knowing which are good or bad. I like to be adventurous on the internet so I've had 3 or 4 Malware attacks over the past few years. I go in with HiJackTHIS to get the obvious stuff and get the system at least useable then run MalwareBytes scan only to clean up anything I may have missed.

Back to how this all started. Two main ways. One a person just wants to try to make their computer faster. Is this possible? Yes, there are a few clever programmers, hot rodders if you will, that have figured out things that Microsoft can't or have overlooked or could have done better. Tweaking settings and getting rid of un-necessary files. But, if approached always research them before trying and use the minimum features and pass up the "upgrade" options. The other thing is if you are trying to see or do something really cool on the internet and are told you need to update or install something to do it. Always stop, bookmark the page and go to the REAL website for the player or reader and check for updates THERE.

I hope this helps.
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

That's all good advice. Thanks Rock! Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X