New 2015 Shelby GT350!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBR View Post

I don't know what the engineering appeal of a flat crank is, but apparently they like to rev.
    Significantly lighter overall than a cross plane crank engine (traditional American V8's), especially in the reciprocating mass. The cranks require much less counterbalancing so it's light as hell (comparatively). By going with this design, they've shaved a chunk of weight off the nose of the new Mustang (getting better weight distribution overall), gotten the engine to rev more quickly throughout it's range, and increased the redline compared to a cross plane.

Biggest disadvantage? Reliability is going​ to be a big question for awhile. Cross plane engines produce a lot of drivetrain vibration. A whole lot. It's the reason they never really gained favor in mass market cars and a big reason for the finicky attitudes of older supercars that used them.

If Ford solved the vibration damping problem, there is tremendous potential there, and we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg. If they haven't, then this is going to be a REALLY expensive lesson for them.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Ferrari F430 crank:

Ford 4.6 crank:

The engines are close displacement-wise, but look at how much less mass the Ferrari has.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tedly; November 18, 2014, 02:24 PM.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

I had been curious about whether the combination of:
        1) Production air filter/silence box
        2) Typical factory-style, exhaust manifolds
        2) Emissions compliant, close-coupled catalytic converters
        4) 100k mile, warranty friendly valvetrain

Would completely neuter any advantage the flat plane crank would bring. Apparently the answer is: not completely.

Comment

Does it actually have a flat crank.............or is the radio just programmed to make flat-crank sounds?
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
            Does it actually have a flat crank.............or is the radio just programmed to make flat-crank sounds?

I'm probably wrong

Comment

ROFLMAO!!
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I read something someplace about a new boss 429. Anyone else see this?

Comment

That's just mean!! (But funny too)

cheers
                  Ed
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                    I read something someplace about a new boss 429. Anyone else see this?

No, but I like the sound of it!
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                    X