This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Post Pictures

OK, ever since the switch, there's been problems figuring out how to post pictures and the forum has suffered because of it. Let's see if we can't get this hiccup beat and get the level of awesomeness up a notch or two. First, I'll start with this quick and simple guide from 68scott385 then we'll break it down for you:

Attached Files
    Last edited by tedly; November 26, 2014, 12:56 AM.
    I'm probably wrong

Step 1: Use the attachments icon (paper and paper clip) in the upper right corner of the "reply" box. Trust me on this, it's the easiest way to do it. I know your first instinct is to go for that big picture of the camera over on the left. DON'T DO IT. You know why?

That's right, it's a trap used to lure the unwary. Use that and you'll end up with little bitty thumbnails that don't go to full size images. Now this might be good for... Actually... I'm not sure what it's good for other than annoying people and making them squint at their screen.

It also makes it really difficult to add descriptions of individual pictures or place them in between lines of text. No bueno. So ignore that little bastard camera icon over there. He looks friendly, but he's a prick and will try his best to sabotoge your awesome post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tedly; November 26, 2014, 12:08 AM.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Step 2: When you click the attachments icon, 2 boxes will show up at the bottom: Upload Attachments & Upload From URL. If the picture you want to post is on your computer, click on the Upload Attachments box. This will open a window that lets you pick which pic you want from your hard drive. On the left side of the window, click on which folder the picture you want is. I circled "Downloads" because that's the default for this computer, but yours could be in "Pictures" or wherever. That's your business.

Double click the picture you want. That will put a little tiny picture below the upload buttons with 3 options next to it: Insert Thumbnail, Insert Image, and Remove.

Step 3: If you choose "thumbnail", you'll get the picture for ants, but I think it will expand out to full size when someone clicks on it. Don't remember. Maybe I'll try it later and see. Either way, the script code for displaying that image will pop up wherever the cursor is in the text box, so you can put it wherever you want in your post.

If you choose "image", a full size pic will be displayed to the world and people will sing your praises for making their life easier by not having to click on anything and not having to squint at the tiny little pictures on the screen. Bravo fellow BangShifter! Well done!

If you click "remove", then you're an idiot because you're going to have to go back and do it all over again. I shouldn't have to explain this but you'd be surprised.

Attached Files
      Last edited by tedly; November 26, 2014, 12:41 AM.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

If you've got multiple pics, just click on the upload attachments button and load another up to your hearts content. I've found it's best to stick to about 5 pics per post, but there's no scientific evidence to back me up. It just makes things a little easier to read and keeps you from having to go back and re-enter a bunch of crap if you mess up and accidentally delete your post before posting it (that looks weird, does it makes sense?). As far as I know, there isn't really a limit to how many pics you can put in a single post. Try it and find out if that's what floats your boat.

Step 4: Hit reply.

Do I really need to explain this? Please say no.

RESIZING IMAGES
        by Monster

Photographs are taken in either Portrait (vertically oriented) or Landscape (horizontally oriented) frames in a 4:3 aspect ratio (the proportional relationship between its width and its height).

A modern camera with high resolution capability will usually be 4032 x 3024 pixels, which equates to 3.5 MB in file size or larger. The forum has a maximum image file size of 3 MB, so these larger images must be resized, before uploading them to the forum.

Using MS Paint or some other photo tool, select "Resize" then "Pixels", then change the values to 800 vertical & 600 horizontal for Portrait oriented images (600 vertical & 800 horizontal for Landscape oriented images).

Finally, save it as a different filename. If you don't rename it before saving, you will overwrite the original high resolution file, with the poorer quality image.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

OK, so have I completely confused everyone? Clear as mud? Good. I'll put up how to deal with some of the annoying glitches and how to post an icon in a bit. I'm going for a smoke.

If this makes no sense, tell me to piss off and go away and I'll let this thread fade into obscurity. Deal?
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

So post a picture and prove you got it figured out and you get to drink beer with these girls!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ratpatrol66; November 26, 2014, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Nice job, Tedly. I've been posting these same instructions from time to time in response to specific inquiries and it's a good idea to have them all in one place. Can someone sticky-fy this?

I use the time while the 'puter is "WORKING" (transferring the pic from your computer to BS) to type in any comments about the pic that's being transferred. HIT RETURN so the pic is placed the line below the comments then hit "insert image". Your pics will be properly annotated.

Let me add - after one posts you'll find that your carefully devised format has gone missing. Things like paragraph breaks, etc. Once you post you can go to EDIT at the bottom of your post and fix the format stuff. When you repost (I think the button is "SAVE") all will be Paradise!

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; November 26, 2014, 07:51 AM.

Comment

That's how I do it Tedly. I also have to edit EVERY post with pictures and text to get the format right. It's clunky but I've gotten used to it.
                Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I type in [img][/img]

and then I right click on the picture, select properties and copy its URL

Then I paste it between the brackets like such ---------> [img] insert image URL here [/img]

and 9 times out of 10....*poof* there is a picture....
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                    That's how I do it Tedly. I also have to edit EVERY post with pictures and text to get the format right. It's clunky but I've gotten used to it.
                    I think most of us are dealing with it that way. I know I am.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Cool, got some stuff to take care of right now but I'll be back in a bit. Post away! I've actually never used that way of posting videos, didn't know it existed. I'll try it later, thanks!
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post

I think most of us are dealing with it that way. I know I am.

THIS. So much this. It's irritating as hell but it's just reflex now. Hit reply, immediately hit edit, go back and space everything out. Only takes a few seconds, but it shouldn't be necessary. No worse than learning the quirks of an old car I guess, you get used to it and it becomes routine.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Hey Ted,

Thanks for the posting pictures instructions. Very informative while being an amusing read.
                          I was lured into the camera icon trap, and couldn't fix it. Then LO and BEHOLD
                          I saw your thread.
                          Now I have the same pic posted twice, but one is actually visible.

Thanks,buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                            I type in [img][/img]

and then I right click on the picture, select properties and copy its URL

Then I paste it between the brackets like such ---------> [img] insert image URL here [/img]

and 9 times out of 10....*poof* there is a picture....

I'll try this with a few pictures and see if the same formatting issue pops up. Thanks!
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by sueunit View Post
                              Hey Ted,

Thanks for the posting pictures instructions. Very informative while being an amusing read.
                              I was lured into the camera icon trap, and couldn't fix it. Then LO and BEHOLD
                              I saw your thread.
                              Now I have the same pic posted twice, but one is actually visible.

Thanks,buddy!

No problem Sue, glad I could help.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X