My Time in Uniform now has an Exparation Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Time in Uniform now has an Exparation Date

Well, my time on active duty has reached its end. Today I was notified that I was not selected for retention with the most recent round of Air Force Reduction In Force measures. Had a great run that will come to a close on 30 April, 28 days shy of 12yrs of commissioned service and another 4yrs of US Air Force Academy time before that.

Like the 1-star that told me today that I wasn't selected to stay "we're done cutting the fat, we're cutting muscle and bone now" about the way the draw downs are going. Its tough to hear that "this doesn't mean you done a bad job" when they cut 2/9 but it still hurts. Probably what hurts the most is to want to continue serving in the only career and professional family I've ever known and being told, "we just don't need you anymore". It's going to be tough to not be able to say, I'm Active Duty Air Force without being able to say Air Force, Retired. With that being said, I don't want to turn this in to "The Air Force screwed you" or anything of the sort. My time is up let's leave it at that, I just wanted to share.

Now I guess I have to decide what I want to do when I "grow up" since I'd been certain on an Air Force career since I was about 10. This will honestly be my first time being in the job market in 17yrs and I've never interviewed for more than a summer position at Home Depot. Well I guess I've interviewed for ROTC and USAFA scholarships/appointments but not a job. At least I'll be able to put my hands in my pockets again.
    Last edited by CTX-SLPR; December 2, 2014, 07:35 PM.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

The 1 star seemed cool.
    My time in was no time to go home. The transition of going to no forward think tank, having to be infantry strong at the same time...
    It is tough. Maybe try academics, maximize the dynamics not much of the world lives with.

I found , for me, disabled for realistic reasons (war time momentum)... maximize is the keyword to anything.

Glad you got as far as you did, always noble.

anyway, those cutbacks.. I watched SAC command shrink to non existent, 1991 onward.. loring here closed. The maine air guard got crazy fast. After having my very first year as the war monger einstein duality .My crew chief job ended with two I.D. - one for a Air mobility command, and one for the strategic air command. It was guessed I'd have a 50 year career and still getting asked to come to work. I witnessed mental breakdowns of the real kind when those were not allowed to transition...or too deep in one way of training.
    Needs peace.

The V.A. is attempting to be smart about this stuff, vocational rehab, etc, sometimes just security levels can carry through to a cozy place.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 2, 2014, 08:04 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Sorry to hear that!.. Sucks donkey balls for sure.. You are schooled in something you can find work in the civvy world, right? .. You will succeed in whatever you do!

Comment

Thank you for your service!
        Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
        Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

My buddy works for an engineering sub-contractor for the Air Force. If you want, send me a private message and I'll see if I can get you two talking.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Seen a lot of guys get the pink slip lately. I was on the chopping block but they pulled my AFSC off the list at 0 hour. My HYT is 14 March 2018 and I know I am safe for at least another year as they will not be doing a board this year. It was a stressful 6 months waiting for them to let me know what was going to happen, it left me a little jaded and if it happens again I will just drop my paperwork. I'll be damned if I am going to get jerked around like that again.

Anyway...I understand your stress and apprehension. I don't know what I want to be either but I think I will be a truck driver because cowboy is not really an option.

I'm sure you'll be fine, you've got the education and experience...you'll land on your feet. Best of luck! If you find yourself looking at moving into a van down by the river you could always crash on my couch....
            Last edited by JOES66FURY; December 2, 2014, 10:18 PM.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

All I'm going to say is if you put your livelihood in the hands of the government, your bound to get burned.

And don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine, your a smart guy with a good head on your shoulders. A buddy of mine was working for the county here in what was basically a can't get fired from job, he thought it was the best job in the world and that he was making good money, then things changed and he couldn't stand working there, quit and got a job at a Pharmaceutical company as their head IT guy and he's making 3 times what he was making with the County. Change is good and usually comes with a raise. Good luck in what ever adventure comes your way.
              Last edited by BigAL; December 3, 2014, 03:01 AM.
              The Green Machine.
              http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

CTX-SPLAR, Thank you for your service, You have time to think and research before April, make a plan. Remember there are a lot of folks here who are more than willing to help you with advise and recommendations so use us and all resources at your disposal.( But most of all plan on PT this year.) things will workout, but now it's time to go to work for yourself. What is your AF MOS?
                Last edited by Big Dave; December 3, 2014, 03:39 AM.
                Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Thanks for understanding and your thanks.

I'm a Physicist thought I've had experience doing far more than just that core. Currently I'm a nuclear physicist but I have a masters in medical physics. Probably going to try stay in the DC area just so I don't have to move the family again.
                  Last edited by CTX-SLPR; December 3, 2014, 04:23 AM.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Thanks from another former service member and wishing you the best of luck in your future endeavors! My service time was cut short in 1992 when the Navy decided they no longer needed boiler technicians, and closed out the rating... you will persevere!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

With your credentials, you should have no problem in the private sector. As already stated, you may be able to get a position with a DoD contractor. I've noticed that when the military cuts something, it does not necessarily mean they ca do without the service, so the outsource the same job to contract companies. Allot of times, you do the same job, in the same location ... just wearing "civvies". Good luck to you sir !!!

Comment

I'll add my voice to those saying "Thanks for your service". I did all 31 1/2 years of my Federal service in the civilian sector which ironically seems to be more stable than the military. Either way, I'm sure you'll do fine but big changes are always a bit intimidating.

Best of luck!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                          Thanks for understanding and your thanks.

I'm a Physicist thought I've had experience doing far more than just that core. Currently I'm a nuclear physicist but I have a masters in medical physics. Probably going to try stay in the DC area just so I don't have to move the family again.

I believe there is quite a bit of Nuclear Physics involved in the downhole logging section of the oil and gas industry. The salary would be high, but of course, relocation would also be required.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                            With your credentials, you should have no problem in the private sector. As already stated, you may be able to get a position with a DoD contractor. I've noticed that when the military cuts something, it does not necessarily mean they ca do without the service, so the outsource the same job to contract companies. Allot of times, you do the same job, in the same location ... just wearing "civvies". Good luck to you sir !!!
                            I agree with Steve, and I'll bet the salary will be substantially higher, too. Thanks for serving!
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thank you for your service!!!!, the civilian world will be lucky to get you.

I know it's early, but what do you want to do? after all, there's lots of people on here in a variety of fields and locations that would put a good word in for you...
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X