Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I blew up my lawn mower! Did you ever blow up anything unusual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I blew up my lawn mower! Did you ever blow up anything unusual?

I blew an old Briggs & Stratton engine up like that when I was a kid. My dad was famous for hauling home old lawn mowers, motorcycles, and such. When I was 10, I started to earn money by mowing yards...but I had to build my own lawn mower first. Dad wouldn't let me use the family mower. Well, I took a few of Dad's junk mowers and made one good one out of them. Once I got it running, I decided to up the revs by playing with the carb. By the time I wa done, I had that baby singing...for about 15 seconds. ;) I was pushing the mower across the yard to see how it would cut when it threw the rod through the side of the block. It threw it so hard that it jerked the handle right out of my hands. My dad came out of the house laughing his ass off. Turns out he watched me tune it and was surprised it lasted as long as it did. It was a learning esperience. I pulled a motor off another junk mower and countinued on smartly.

A year later, my frined aquired an old Honda Trail 70 motorcycle. It had carb issues, but was otherwise a good bike. We tried fixing the carb, but couldn't get it to work. To us kids the carb looked like a lawn mower carb, so off to the house I go for a carb off of one of the junk Tecumseh mowers dad had laying around. We installed it on the Honda (had to jury rig the throttle) and attempted to start it. When it would start with the kick starter, we attepmted to push start it. When it started to run, the carb caught fire! Thank God we were near a dirt lot. We took handfuls of dirt to put it out. My friend bought a used Honda carb from somebody and it fixed the problem. How in the hell I survived childhood with some of the crap I did is a wonder...

Comment

Now that is a funny story !!!
      ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Lobucrod
        I blew up a doll one time.....does that count? :
        laughing pretty hard at this one......

Comment

I knew the Rod was knocking in my 79 Pontiac Sunbird cruzing down the Hwy outside of Little Rock AFB. My Buddy looking at me, wondering why I was smiling. He did'nt know I had a Destroked 400 Small Block Chevy waiting to go into it. So I jumped on it until the Damn thing Exploded. Awesome!!!! A trail of smoke 2 miles long and pieces falling out from under the car.

Comment

Thats pretty much how we got our 1st gas mower. My dads business partner did much the same and was going to through the thing in the dumpster but my dad grabbed it and bought it home. We managed to get the case welded up and through my dads contacts in the mower trade manged to get all the parts to rebuild it. I remember i was about 15 and we built it on the kitchen floor. When it came time to put the piston in he cut a bean tin up and wraped a metal coat hanger round it to make a piston ring clamp. This was the 1st time i had ever seen my dad work on a motor, i always thought he had no intrest. The mower worked like a champ and is still going strong today even though its no longer in our possesion.

As for blowing things up, i did a chainsaw when i forgot to add 2 stroke oil, a roto tiller when i decided to tweek the motor (well it was on its way out) numerous mopeds bought for small change then tweeked (its amazing those things will run on WD40) and a nitro engine when i decided that pure nitro was the way forward

Oh and i almost forgot the BIG ONE, a $30k power amp on lone to the company i work for that decided to go bang in a big way. We are talking about a shower of sparks 4' tall and a hole in the driver pcb the size of a dime. Took almost 2 hours for me to pluck up the courage to go and tell my boss what had happened. We later found ou that the amp had done the same thing before

Comment

Blew up an air compressor last month.

Comment

Working...
              X