Pit/Shop Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit/Shop Computers

I'm looking for "dream features" for a PC for use with Hot Rods. Desktops for shops and trailers, laptops and even netbooks and tablets for in-car use. Things like ultra durable industrial PCs and/or comfort items like a TV/FM radio card to tune to the track PA or just kill time on delays. Any ideas?
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

I would at least choose a laptop with an SSD, as they are less prone to damage by bumping around on those back roads.
    ~Alain~
    A wise man once said: "There's no replacement for cubic inches"........then they went on and invented Forced Induction
    "You'll run outta tire, before you run outta horsepower"

Comment

ssd is climbing on up fast. I agree..

those lap tops can get thrashed anyway, bought a cheap one. Regular disk or not.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	INtoPSIA.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	992578

background for desktop could be photos of conversions, or whatever..

Click image for larger version

Name:	merxurydensity.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	992579

never treat it normal...always data.

I will always hate the mouse functions, be it I am in the tall category with a slouch..just unfit for lap top stuff. I use it anyway.

never pay a lot. Go for dual core generation onward, apple equivalents etc.
      2008 or so, onward..usable til broken.

my own still has a serial.. and usb 2.0 something. Bluetooth. Wifi.

170 bucks.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 21, 2014, 07:57 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I thought I was special when I brought up SSDs a year or so ago, but Bangshifters are so on top of their game everybody else already had one. Good news is they are getting cheaper and you don't need a lot of space for car stuff. Data tables for wallpaper is something I hadn't considered. I love cheap laptops off E-Bay. Look at Dell Latitudes, their business models. Lots of Magnesium for lightness and durability.

Comment

I have several older laptops that still work...and don't really have hardly any use for them in the car/shop right now. One of these days, I might.

but my Android phone is kind of handy....and very portable.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No, the main use is EFI and data acquisition like RacePak. Like Barry said, dual core and up isn't ancient yet.

Comment

Working...
            X