Road trips, rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trips, rules

couple of rules that can be used for any portion of a trip.... Maybe you only have 4 hrs to kill on a given day.... but you could state.... " Road Trip Rules apply " and for the next 4 hrs you could kick back and enjoy the trip.

here are a few proposed rules...

No 4 lanes
    No Fast food
    No Chains ( restraunts, hotels, or gas stations )

You guys have any thoughts? Something you have done that makes a trip more enjoyable?

Keith

Re: Road trips, rules

If your with Tommy or Paul, ear plugs help at night.

Otherwise no rest stops between gas fillups

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyG
      no rest stops between gas fillups
      that's a good one! forces you to drive something that gets really crappy mileage, so you can stop to pee every now and then.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No pets

Comment

At my advanced age, part of the fun is potty stops. And ya gotta take the dog (Beaux is GREAT in the car). We take back roads whenever possible, even if we're trying to cover ground. If you look at the map, there is often an "old road" parallel to the interstate, lined with interesting stuff. I can't tell you all the things we saw in Montana. Most recently, we saw a lot of interesting areas in rural Alabama. I, of course, am looking behind every old shop and barn for interesting cars, but we didn't have quite enough time to dig out the camera - maybe next trip.

I agree with the "no fast food" rule. We sometimes get stuck, but mostly we just use the Arches for toilets. Beaux finds something in their grass to mark, and we go on the find a local place to dine. It's ALMOST always better, but sometimes it's just an - uh - EXPERIENCE.

So, tour on, dudes
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes

....but mostly we just use the Arches for toilets.....
            I thought that was what the "golden arches" stood for.

Comment

Back roads and local eateries are a must.
              I'm not much for limiting the stops, however, if it were up to me I would stop at every historical marker, museum, a interesting looking place that I could.

One essential for a real good road trip would ideally be no time limits. If time is limited there are a lot of cool places that get missed because you have to be someplace at a certain time.

Comment

No mexican food unless its a convertable.

Otherwise...if someone farts, no keeping the window up or putting the heater on recirculate. You want that stank to leave the car ASAP.

Comment

No rules what so ever make for stress free road trips.

;)

Comment

My guess is Stress... anyone else.... ( laughing with ya Denise... not at you... YOU'VE seen my spelling )

Keith

Comment

Keith it strikes me that you worry waaayyyyy to much about Rules, around the shop, on the road, when you get there. ;)

You sound like my ex-ex-wife, we called her "RuleMom" even playing cards and board games it was all about the rules. :
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

the wife and I follow these guidelines, not rules...
                        You cant see the states from the interstate, (unlike east coast PT 99)
                        its not the destination, it the drive. Doug
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

A couple of quick ones for me personally.

I think a passenger to ride along with you. A rule of no radio due to listening to the engine applies for the first fifty miles. Also a spare balist resister

Mike

Comment

No eating in the car. Snacking is cool, but no drive thru.
                            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

What about a carjunkietv version of mapquest.....places we know regionally interesting enough to plot out for the rest of us out of towners
                              Please include:
                              1. Local radar hangouts--"Roscoe will not take my dinner money!"
                              2. Local grill/coffeeshops
                              3. Local autoparts places with actual wisdom
                              4. NO DUELING BANJO areas Please.....We are not designed to squeal!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X