NHRA (or circle track) to SCTA roll cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA (or circle track) to SCTA roll cage

With the popularity of the G-body (also known as a Metric) in both the NHRA and circle track, there is plenty of catalog roll cages out there. I've lost my SCTA rule book so I can't look up the specs on the materials and such. Any direct conversion or otherwise "rules of thumb" if I picked up a former drag or circle track Regal?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Generally, LEGAL NHRA cages are OK - but you might want to send pics to an inspector (look in the SCTA rule book). LSR allows, within certain limits, bolt-in bars and a few other things that NHRA does not allow. Remember that most classes will now require a full containment seat and/or a "funny car" style cage. Chrome Moly has slightly different requirements for thickness, etc. Stick welding is not allowed but MIG and of course TIG are OK. WELDS SHALL NOT be dressed or ground in any way though a heavy coat of paint is allowed - just don't try to hide anything. I've used both DOM and sometimes welded seam tubing and either is OK as long as you have smooth bends. Mitered corners are not illegal but sort of frowned upon. If you don't have a rule book you'll need it for details and don't be shy about calling the inspectors listed in the book. You'll find them helpful - their goal is to help you sail right thru tech and it helps if the tech lane is not the first time they've seen the car (at least in pictures).

Good Luck

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Generally, LEGAL NHRA cages are OK - but you might want to send pics to an inspector (look in the SCTA rule book). LSR allows, within certain limits, bolt-in bars and a few other things that NHRA does not allow. Remember that most classes will now require a full containment seat and/or a "funny car" style cage. Chrome Moly has slightly different requirements for thickness, etc. Stick welding is not allowed but MIG and of course TIG are OK. WELDS SHALL NOT be dressed or ground in any way though a heavy coat of paint is allowed - just don't try to hide anything. I've used both DOM and sometimes welded seam tubing and either is OK as long as you have smooth bends. Mitered corners are not illegal but sort of frowned upon. If you don't have a rule book you'll need it for details and don't be shy about calling the inspectors listed in the book. You'll find them helpful - their goal is to help you sail right thru tech and it helps if the tech lane is not the first time they've seen the car (at least in pictures).

Good Luck

Dan

I've got the rule book, and it's kind of light on details. For example, that mitered corners are fround upon, and no mention at all is made of bolt in or swing out bars.

Comment

One of my favorite stories about that was Bob Self got in the 2 Club at ECTA with a Ford GT and a complete bolt-in cage. His wife wouldn't ride in the car with a cage so he had S&W make a complete bolt-in, which was absolutely beautiful.

Anyhow, don't hesitate to call the tech staff - really, they won't mind. Because there are so many specific situations they really can't put everything in the book so they'll help. Don't expect them to design the car for you but they can and will answer specific questions: "Is it OK if I XXXXX?" and they'll tell you. Best to Email pics along with the questions.

Dan

Comment

Thanks,

Just looking at the number of 81-87 Regals out there that have been set up for some form of racing and wondering how much it would save me safety modifications (and over all since roller race cars tend to be pretty cheap).
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

NHRA cages do not meet SCTA requirements. You can call me at the shop for the details...my fingers would fall off trying to type all the differences. As for ECTA, a cert'ed NHRA cage would pass tech. One thing to think about is the full containment seat requirement...will that seat fit in an existing cage. We have modified or replaced a number of cages in order to get those big ones to fit. 302.378.3013 9 to 5 daily.
            Joe Timney
            President-www.delawarechassisworks.com
            Retired President-www.ecta-lsr.com

Comment

Joe is The Man on these things. He has generously offered his input and if I were you I'd take it! He's done more of this stuff asleep than I've done awake.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X