E class Bonniville engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E class Bonniville engine

A friend of mine E mailed me a link to Kieth Dorton's 260 V8. I have just completed my 257 c.i. Ford. I am using a Winburg crank also but it is based on a 302 Winsor using AFR heads twin 68 mm turbos and a CSU blow through carb. Hope to be at Bonniville this summer if the salt is O.K.

I plan to see you there. I work in the Impound yard. I'd love to see a Ford vs. Chevy thing in E class. Will you guys be running in the same body class?

I ran E/CPRO at Maxton with a 250 Chevy six. I had fun but wasn't really fast. Now I'm trying to get my F/DT to get out of it's own way. It runs well but slow (about 100).

Dan

Comment

I built the motor with the intension of running E/CBGC as it is a soft record at 152 MPH. I have a 1978 fairmont that I had planned on using but I am going to see a 93 Ford ranger pickup tomorrow that has competed at Bonniville in F class. I haven't raced before so I may put the motor in the pickup to get my licence.

Comment

The Ranger sounds like fun and is (as I understand it) a pretty straightforward installation. I haven't done one personally so I can't be TOO sure of the difficulty. Yes, a vehicle that's been thru tech successfully is always a great head start, especially for the first time.

The Fairmont will be an interesting build - just be sure to stay in touch with the officials AS you build it. Tech will go much more easily if one of the inspectors has seen pics of the cage installation, scattershield cert, etc, etc. You'll be sending lots of pics (print them out and put them in your book). That way when you get to tech you find the person who you've been in communication with and they'll help you thru the process. It always goes better if there is some sort of connection between the tech staff and the vehicle. When you bring the Ranger be sure to make some connections and find someone who is willing to work with you (not hard to do). Their interest in in having safe cars going down the track, NOT to keep you from running, and they'll work with you any way they can to make that happen.

You wouldn't believe how many vehicles show up at Bonneville that folks have built without any outside input. While they MEANT to follow the book sometimes they just miss the intent of this or that rule and have made a vehicle that we simply can't send down the track as built. NOBODY wants that to happen! I know Dan Warner and others have traveled to do on-site inspections months before the meet so the builder has time to change anything that needs fixin' before the meet. It's a LOT more fun without the drama of sweating tech!

Go fast, be safe, have fun!

Dan

Comment

Well I got the Ranger home and pulled the V6 and 5spd. I set my E class motor with a Nash 5spd into the truck but ended up with lots of clearance problems due to the dry sump pump and oil pan. Also ran into the steering box on the other side due to an adapter I had built to supply oil to my piston cooling system so I will concentrate on the 1978 Fairmont (actually a Mercury Zephyr) as I have had the motor and trans in the car when I built the turbo manifolds.

Comment

Here is a picture of my E class engine I tried to upload a shot video of it running on my engine stand but that didn't seam to work. It will have an intercooler in the car but I wanted to make sure I didn't have water, fuel or oil leaks and just make sure it would run OK

Comment

There's a thread on how to post videos. It's supposed to be easy though I have yet to try it myself.

Dan

Comment

Well I am starting my mega thrash to build my bonneville car. I can post progress pictures if anyone is interested

Comment

PLEASE post up the build - I suggest Project Car section. That'll be a great build!

EDIT: Forgot to add - I use my "Project Car" threads as a build thread. I have a record of everything I did to the Volvo and Mutt The Race Truck which has proven to be handy more than once. I sometimes go back and refresh my memory as to how and why I did something the way I did it and maybe make changes if I learn a different way to resolve that particular issue. Well worth doing and not just for the "brag factor".

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; March 23, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Yes, we are interested! Sounds like a screamer... craving details on it.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm very interested, also. Looks killer so far.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                      X