What class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What class?

I've got the bug to build a tank. I have a mercruiser 4cyl (1/2 of a Ford 460) I could build, blown or unblown. What would the class be called so I can look up the records to see if where I have to get to is obtainable. I have lots of drag race experience and chassis fabrication, just not in LSR.
    Thanks, Oj advice is welcome, I don't know anything about class structure etc but do know an inexperienced decision can land you in a class of heavyhitters where a rookie is over his head.
    A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

The boat guys aren't kind when they talk about that mill, but I like the idea!

The last I checked, there are still some open records depending on displacement. A rulebook will answer a lot of questions - http://shop.scta-bni.org , really good information in it.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Belly tank? Classes start off with engine displacement. Then blown or N/A, then the type of car.

I built a car to chase a record I thought was soft, it was before I could get the car sorted out someone else put 30 mph on it put me out of the running.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        The boat guys aren't kind when they talk about that mill, but I like the idea!

The last I checked, there are still some open records depending on displacement. A rulebook will answer a lot of questions - http://shop.scta-bni.org , really good information in it.

Thanks for the link to the rulebook, its on the way. What would the basic class be called? I gather the class divisions are based on lbs per inch?
        I gathered the motor up some time ago to use in a traditional hot rod, but it'll probably never get built.

Comment

You gathered wrong. LSR cares not a whit about lbs/inch. What counts is the body type (production, gas, comp coupe, lakester, streamliner, etc. - these will be defined in your shiny new rule book) and engine displacement + blown/NA. Fuel enters into it also, whether gas (that'll be event gas), anything else is "fuel including the Diesel that I run unless provisions have been made for event Diesel. We don't care how many carbs you run, the specs of your cam, or any of the rest of that. Weight is not an issue but in LSR weight doesn't hurt you much and in fact is often added as ballast to help keep the car on the track. (There's a bit more to the weight thing but that's in the "fine tuning" department.)

One other critical point - watch your class requirements for allowable aero improvements in your class. For example, in my class (F (engine displacement class)/DT (Diesel Truck) I'm allowed a front air dam but NOTHING aft of that. Folks have asked why I don't tape the body seams, add a spoiler, etc. and is answer is "not allowed in my class". So you really have to READ the rule book! It'll take you a while to catch on to it but the info you need is in there.

Dan

Comment

I was initially surprised to find out the LSR guys don't care about reducing weight and that it's not a problem on a multi-mile run like it is with drag racing. Turk's Camaro ( think it's his, they put magnetic name plates on it, it's changed names so many times.. haha) is over 5000 pounds I think he said? Getting the weight in the right places made sense. Getting the horsepower down on salt or dirt is a different story from concrete, that much made instant sense to me. lol.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Yes. Keith's Camaro runs MUCH heavier at Bonneville than it does at, say, The Ohio Mile. Aero and weight balance takes much precedence over total weight though some guys (like Krusty) prefer to keep it as light as possible on concrete as acceleration is more important in a mile run than on a 5 mile track on the salt. My truck is built REALLY stout so I'm biased toward strength over weight and basically just don't concern myself with it.

Remember that weight influences the resistance to acceleration but has little effect in keeping that mass rolling so when the acceleration phase is more or less over and you're trying to keep the vehicle on the track at speed, weight and the location of that mass is the point of concern. Keep in mind that the selected class is a big player here as you might get similar improvements with areo additions (like, downforce from a rear wing) but that might be prohibited by your class rules such as I have in my class. Reading and understanding the rule book is critical in so many ways!

Dan

Comment

Something I didn't mention:

If you settle on, say, a belly tank lakester be sure to look at a used chassis. There's one on the ECTA website right now, for example. I can pretty much guarantee you that it'll be pennys on the dollar compared to starting from scratch even if you do significant changes to the used one. Sadly, used racing vehicles don't seem to bring much money unless they have a lot of fame or glory.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Something I didn't mention:

If you settle on, say, a belly tank lakester be sure to look at a used chassis. There's one on the ECTA website right now, for example. I can pretty much guarantee you that it'll be pennys on the dollar compared to starting from scratch even if you do significant changes to the used one. Sadly, used racing vehicles don't seem to bring much money unless they have a lot of fame or glory.

Dan

I'll have a looksee at the chassis. The weight being a nonissue explains why the builds I've seen are primarily mild steel. My plans are to help a local LSR team with fabrication etc and go with them next year to learn the in and outs at the track. After that is when I'll start construction on a chassis. I want to see for myself what I'm getting into before building.

Comment

I don't see where you're located and you haven't mentioned which track(s) you will want to run. Many folks build so that they can easily change from a Bonneville set-up to ElMirage or Ohio or Loring (removable ballast, etc.). If you'll be starting at ECTA you can run ANYTHING (folks have run rental cars) to get your feet wet so you don't need to build a car to run there as long as you stay under 130, the speed at which the safety requirements exceed what comes from the manufacturer. You'll need a 3-point belt, metal valve caps, 2 return springs on the carb/EFI depending - some minor stuff like that. But to try it and get a "lay of the land" it's pretty simple.

There's some discussion on the mild steel/chrome moly thing. The advantage (as told to me by an experienced chassis builder) is that the chrome moly will survive a crash pretty much intact and could be used again whereas a mild steel chassis/cage will be a goner. I'm not sure that's an advantage. And if all you have is MIG to do the welding it's easier to get decent, safe welds on mild steel (os so they tell me - I haven't tried chrome moly myself). My MIG welds are ugly but the tech crew says they look plenty stout.

Something else I should add - This is the friendliest form of racing I've ever been around. Folks are genuinely kind and will help in any way they can. It's more like a big family than guys trying to "beat" someone else. If an LSR racer says "Hey, I wonder if you might run better with XYZ, they're actually trying to be helpful, not trying to mess with you. It's a whole different world. I used to drag race and while I enjoyed it this is SO MUCH more fun. Remember, there's zero money involved (except the money you spend for parts and to run!) and the races aren't even called "races" but "meets". It's one car down the track at a time so it's just you seeing what you can do versus the last time you ran. As far as I can tell there is no official "national record" though you can look up what other guys in your class have run at different tracks.

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; September 11, 2016, 03:13 PM.

Comment

One other critical point - watch your class requirements for allowable aero improvements in your class. For example, in my class (F (engine displacement class)/DT (Diesel Truck) I'm allowed a front air dam but NOTHING aft of that. Folks have asked why I don't tape the body seams, add a spoiler, etc. and is answer is "not allowed in my class". So you really have to READ the rule book! It'll take you a while to catch on to it but the info you need is in there.

Dan
                      Now, how do they look at the body seams, you said you can't tape them up, but are the late model truck/car body weatherstrip that is used between headlight to fender/headlight to grill/ headlight to hood/hood to fender/fender to door/cab to bed/ etc off limits.. if the make/year and model didn't originally come with them.. and you added the late model seals to an older rig?

Comment

I looked at that tank, it is a sweet piece, very well designed and constructed. I wouldn't change a thing on that car, sometimes its best not to 'improve' things, but I think I'd enjoy the build. I am in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

Comment

Heck oj - if you're in Virginia you MUST come to the Ohio meets! Short hop to Wilmington, OH. The next meet is Sept. 30-Oct.2 - book a motel room quickly! Look me up when you get there - I'll be in the staging lanes in a green over black S-10. I don't have a pit crew member for this meet so if you want I'll put you to work. There will be a bunch of other BSers, too - I know Russell is coming with his Dad, and Dan Barlow (I think) and who knows how many others. Love to see you there!

Also, feel free to take a run to Wilmington, NC (note there are 2 Wilmingtons involved here) and take a look at my truck for ideas and clues as to what is legal, etc. I'm retired and can pretty much give a tour any old time.

Dan

Comment

Heck oj - if you're in Virginia you MUST come to the Ohio meets! Short hop to Wilmington, OH. The next meet is Sept. 30-Oct.2 - book a motel room quickly! Look me up when you get there - I'll be in the staging lanes in a green over black S-10. I don't have a pit crew member for this meet so if you want I'll put you to work. There will be a bunch of other BSers, too - I know Russell is coming with his Dad, and Dan Barlow (I think) and who knows how many others. Love to see you there!

Also, feel free to take a run to Wilmington, NC (note there are 2 Wilmingtons involved here) and take a look at my truck for ideas and clues as to what is legal, etc. I'm retired and can pretty much give a tour any old time.

Dan
                            Dan, thanks for the invite but I am in Michigan salmon/steelhead fishing - note I did not say catching - I leave Friday and get back in early October. I gather there are other meets and I'll be sure to make them.

Comment

FISH MURDERER!!!!! Or are you a bait murderer?

Hope you're having a great time. There is a bit of an unknown as far as the availability of the track for next year so we don't know the schedule for next year. There's some possibility that the runway will start being used as - well - a runway but that's pretty much up in the air (bad pun, I know) the last I heard. So hopefully there WILL be meets next year. Keep an eye on BS or check <ECTA-LSR.com> for current info.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X