Vacuum Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Pumps

Thought's on running vacuum pumps at the standing mile (or any land racing). How many run one and at what inHg do you run them at? I ask because of the length of time at a high RPM the draw of internal lubrication. I run 9-12 inHg in the 1/4 but for a tick over 9 seconds. My thought at a extended run you would want to drop the inHg to 2-8. You get the Horsepower gain but not the hard draw. Even a evac system off the header collectors would do some good.
    First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
    Second place SSBBNA 2016
    Third place SSBBNA 2017
    Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
    All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

I've never run one but I think a Vac-U-Pan (the one that ties into the low pressure area in the headers) might be the ticket. No belt to toss or electrical bits to fail and dead simple. It would be interesting to see a vacuum/pressure trace from an LSR run with a system in place. I can't think of anyone running one but I can't remember everyone's set-up being that I'm old and feeble minded.

Dan

Comment

Thank's. I've always thought the simpler the better.
      Second place SSBBNA 2016
      Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

We run a vacuum pump on our BBC at Bonneville. We found out the hard way, if you run a vacuum pump on a lsr car that makes long runs, you'll need piston pin oilers. The vacuum pump causes the oil in the pan to drop to the bottom and lowers the amount of oil flung around. We were told the first problem we would have would be the pins would fail. We didn't make it to the 3rd mile when a wrist pin siezed. We now use DLC pins with pin oilers, 3 yrs running with no problem. We run 13 in of vac.

Comment

Thanks, Almost not smart w/o pin oilers. Maybe even at a minimum vac. Ive heard it pulls mist that the pins need. Couple Drag Weekers up by you, One in Red Deer and another in N. Montana.
          Second place SSBBNA 2016
          Third place SSBBNA 2017

Comment

Working...
          X