I'm going to the salt for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to the salt for the first time

Next week it's speed week at Lake Gardiner in South Australia, an 830 mile trip from home into the Outback.

So a mate and I are heading over there for the first three days of of the event and having a look.

The Target 550 team are going to be there so that should be interesting, I hope they do well, maybe I will see a world record, maybe!

Also going to be there is the Jack Rodgers Camaros, they are the cars that Freiburger and Turk entered the 200mph club on this continent last year.

Down the bottom of this DLRA page is a list of entrants. I'd guess 2/3 of the field are motorcycles.

The official home page of the Dry Lakes Racers Australia

So I'll take the camera along and see what I can capture and tell the story I've seen with photos.

Anything I should keep an eye out for?
    Tim
    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Have fun! (If you don't have fun you're doing it all wrong.)

Take sunblock, white clothes, and a big-brimmed hat. Take plenty of pixels for your camera.

White clothes are important. I spend the whole day in Impound so I'm not ducking into an air-conditioned vehicle to cool off. You'll see folks wearing black T-shirts with sweat running off of them and Bonneville has very low humidity. Us workers generally wear a long-sleeved white shirt worn open and a white T-shirt underneath. I like white painter's pants (as they're sold here in the US) which are almost dead white 100% cotton and cheap. They have a baggy cut so lots of air can circulate. It may seem like I'm making a big deal about the clothes but it BECOMES a big deal when you're out there all day.

EDIT: I'm making an assumption that the weather conditions on Lake Gardiner are pretty much like Bonneville. If not, disregard my previous transmission (except the "have fun" part).

Like I said - Have Fun!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; March 7, 2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dan, the weather we are looking at at the moment shows it's going to be mid eighty's so not too bad.

I have been told the reflected light from the salt is hard on the eyes and good sun glasses are a must.

By this time next week I should be home, we are leaving early Sunday and plan to be back early as possible Thursday.
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

Comment

Take at least a gallon of water for every day. Not Gatorade, not coffee, not tea, not beer, not soda pop. WATER.

Put your sunscreen on your whole body BEFORE you put on your clothes. Reapply frequently.

Find the biggest hat with a brim that you can - at least 3 inches of brim, OK?
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Thanks Stude.

The bloke I'm going with ended up in hospital because of dehydration the last time we were in the Outback. I will be on his back about water also.

My hat has a 4" brim.
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

Comment

Dan mentioned camera......Don't forget camera batteries in addition to memory chips or film (if the case may be). When I attended Speedweek in 1998 I shot over 450 pictures during my 8 day stay. Cellphones weren't a thing back then, and I have no idea if reception is good on Lake Gairdner... But it's something to consider.

Driving your own vehicle? Protect the car from salt inside with thick plastic sheet and outside using a product like Salt-Away. Concentrate on the undercarriage. Old salt dogs refer to salt as Bonneville Loctite. When you clean it up at home - do NOT use high pressure water. Low pressure is the key to keeping diluted salt from wicking into all those crevices. Use a lawn sprinkler underneath - low pressure, move it around once in awhile.

Go log on at Landracing.com - they have excellent rules for newbies posted on the forum. Or visit SCTA's website - or the corresponding Aussie land racing website.

Most important - have fun!
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
            X