Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    Awesome! How/d Red do in tech?
    Without getting into the movie-length version it, there was a lot of uncertainty. It took a WHILE, not the inspection itself, but the deliberation. In the end, Steve Strupp himself showed up and cleared Red to go faster than he'll ever be able to go. Happy times. This is it boys, let's see how fast Red CAN go.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

So, Dan Stokes took Mutt out there and ran 131.8. He was hoping to reach 130. Win. But then he spent most of the day in the pits doing a brake job on (big) Truck, had a pad separate on the way over here.

There's poor Dan in the pits doing a brake job on Truck and I'm out there in Red going round and round like a kid getting off of a ride at the county fair and running to the end of the line to ride again. And the line was moving. Some folks in cars were caught off guard, still getting dressed or messing with the belts when it was time to go.

In all, Red and I got 9 runs. And that includes going downtown for more gas and sitting down to eat lunch. My rookie run in the morning didn't generate a time, they were still trying to get the computers to wake up. So they let me go up to the front of the line to go again. I mean. this is called fun. I got my money's worth today, in spite of quitting early and calling it an "event."

Hot. Really hot. Red's best speed was 149.7 mph, and he slowed down as it got hotter outside. I was sitting there eating lunch downtown and realized, 3 tenths from 150. I can take the spare tire out, that's 50 pounds, and the half a case of water bottles in the trunk, that's another ten pounds. This might work - all I need is another 3 tenths of a MPH to reach a milestone.

Well, that didn't help. Hotter, slower. It was so hot, on that last run Red went 148.4 and it was so hot the wind blew the weather stripping off of the top of the windshield. What a mess, I crammed it back in there but it won't stay. Not at those kinds of speed. The ooey gooey black glue is all over the roof. So, home tomorrow, Gosh, I'm grinning, that sure was fun. I'm good with only one day of it, that was just fun as hell. Officially.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010291.JPG Views:	1 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	1203332
      Last edited by pdub; June 2, 2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Well, it won't let me edit the post on this laptop. The only point to make is, Ron Ward is here calling the race on the FM radio. I couldn't hear it, Red has no radio, I missed the best part of it all, but Ron and I finally got to meet in person. You GO Ron!

Comment

Holy crap - we can save this weekend. There's a guy named BIll. He's working the entrance gate for the event, staying at the same motel as I am. He has lots of exposure to land speed things. He came up with a solution. I'll take this straight to Turk or somebody in the morning and see if we can run like this. I think it'll work, at least it should. I think.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010292.JPG Views:	1 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	1203341
          Last edited by pdub; June 2, 2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Awesome congrats on the fun and please pass on the congratulations to Dan as well...
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Cool! Wish I could have been there. That weather strip doesn't hold the wind sheild in so I don't see anything wrong with the fix. In SS you can add aero block the grill might get you 3/10. The other power idea is Ice the intake!
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Back Home. When I got up at the motel this morning, I felt differently about running with painter's tape on the windshield. I don't want to be the guy who scatters stuff on the track and they have to stop the race to pick it all up.

And to be honest, I couldn't possibly have had any more fun today than Red and I had yesterday. So let's leave something on table for next time. Maybe a bit cooler, maybe a tailwind. I'm good with leaving three tenths of a MPH on the table. Gyah, so close. Red will not go 150.0, not yesterday.

Unit tells me there's some great photos of the cars over at the ECTA FaceBook page. I haven't looked at them yet, still unpacking from the trip.

Comment

Here's the run at the end of the day yesterday that blew the weather stripping off of the windshield. I didn't know it until I got out of the car and saw it. Interesting, when you're going this "slow" by land speed standards, all of the runs look alike on video.

Comment

Gosh what an adventure. At the end of one of the runs, the official at the shutdown area was thumping his chest and waving his arms like......wait a minute, he's talking to ME, and I don't understand the language. So I pulled over and stopped. It was an inspection. For real. For keeps.

The thing started at the start line. Red left a puddle of pee at the starting line. Radios went off, and word got out. Red is leaking fluid.

It's his air conditioner. Red's engine ran all day, I never shut the engine off all day, running the air conditioner. with me sitting in it He pees like a Clydesdale horse. Puddles. I left a puddle of condensate at the starting line. That's not a typical hotrod thing.

So the man at the shutdown area looked under the car, and I was saying, "It's the air conditioner." I shut the A/C off as soon as it was time to run hard and I turned it back on when Red got to the road back to the starting line.

Comment

Funny how something as common as a/c in a car can still cause so much concern about something "leaking". All a/c units do that, period. You'd think more folks would understand that with all the climate controlling some try to do.

A lot of controversy on the ECTA FB page about cars being classed wrong and drivers changing rides without telling officials. Almost makes me happy that I'm so far behind on my junk that I missed both events this year. Late last year I had hoped to be able to make the April event even if just a spectator. With weather and health what they are and have been I am at least six months behind where I had hoped to be. My latest albatross is almost ready to fly.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                        My latest albatross is almost ready to fly.
                        Here's hoping to see you there in September Scott. It's nothing but huge fun, it's meant to be fun.

Dan Stokes and I were sitting down having dinner and it fell on me. I just had to say, this is turning into a fool and his money. I went and got Bluebelle a new set of speed rated tires because hers were too old. At 15K miles. New tires to run The Mile. But I screwed her up with all the tunes I put on her and she won't run for GO. So, Red was ironically the second choice. The backup car.

So now in September I'm torn - see if Red has another 3 tenths of a mph in him, or Bluebelle for sheer fun and giggles? It's ..... I think they call that hotrodding. And at the level where I'm at, anything above about 120 mph is fast. Real damn fast, and it all looks the same through the windshield. But it sure is fun, I'm gonna do it again.

Comment

I've got a question for the troops after it's all over. Superman's not available or I would just ask him. He knows everything.

What do I use to get the gnarly weather stripping glue off of the roof without damaging the paint? Acetone maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                            A lot of controversy on the ECTA FB page about cars being classed wrong and drivers changing rides without telling officials. .
                            Yeah. No matter how good of a good thing you've got going, when you deal with the public, somebody is gonna mess it up.

I saw a guy going about 50 mph on a motorcycle through the pit area to get to the starting line. The rules don't apply to some folks apparently. I'm trolling along at 10 mph, that's the rule. Granted, I'm overly compliant. At least I did it right.

Comment

Might be a good idea to get a custom catch can for the AC drain
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                                Might be a good idea to get a custom catch can for the AC drain
                                I don't know Russell. The A/C drain is the next-to lowest point on the car. There's not any room for a catch can.

When the thing was settled, it was a training issue - it's the air conditioner peeing. And I'm not sure but I may have been the only car there running an air conditioner. I commend the ECTA folks. They watch, they observe. Fluid on the ground represents a problem with hot rods. And I thank them all for being so observant. They should be, and that's a good thing. It's great to know they have your back. They're watching everybody have fun, but they're watching. That's a great thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X