Going to Bonneville - Speed Week August 10-16, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Bonneville - Speed Week August 10-16, 2019

Just got a note from the new boss of Impound and they want me back! So for the 6th. Speedweek, I'll be there. See y'all in Impound.

So who is going?

Planning on being there Thursday through Tuesday. Just started looking into renting a motorhome again this year, going to make it a priority to meet you this year.

Jason
    2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
    2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
    all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

I am jealous of anybody going to the salt. I went in 2003 as part of a crew racing an unlimited diesel truck. What a blast. Although the truck was not successful, I had a blast. I would like to go back before it is too late to so.

Comment

Originally posted by prostreet34 View Post
        Planning on being there Thursday through Tuesday. Just started looking into renting a motorhome again this year, going to make it a priority to meet you this year.

Jason
        Jason - As stated, I work in Impound. Sometimes I'm a bit rushed when I'm working so please don't feel "blown off" if I just say HI and kind of keep moving. I'd love to do dinner with you so we can actually talk and swap BS (both bs and BangShift!).

Joe - That's why I do this - while I still can. This will be my 6th. year volunteering and my 7th. year going - we got rained out one year but they didn't call it 'till after I was on site. I got onto volunteering after Dan Warner came to ECTA and he invited me to join him so I did. I'm thinking he never thought I'd take him up on the offer but we worked it out. The new boss of Impound is a guy named Mike Kahney (hope I spelled that right) and he's working to bring in some younger guys (which is a good idea) but in the meantime he wants some of us old-timers to keep the place running on an even keel. Miler Mike still comes and Dan Warner spends some time with us so last year we had a mix of new guys and experienced hands.

Dan

Comment

Yes, it would be great to do dinner or catch up with up when your not busy. I talked with Kiwi Steve last year quite a bit regarding what was required to get involved in Tech.
          I'm just curious about what is involved with working Impound besides the week of Speedweek, other events you do, SCTA meetings, etc.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by prostreet34 View Post
            Yes, it would be great to do dinner or catch up with up when your not busy. I talked with Kiwi Steve last year quite a bit regarding what was required to get involved in Tech.
            I'm just curious about what is involved with working Impound besides the week of Speedweek, other events you do, SCTA meetings, etc.

Jason
            With you and I living so far away it's difficult to be deeply involved like a lot of the guys are. All the meetings, planning sessions, volunteer training, etc. take place in SOCAL and I simply can't fly across the country on a whim (Social Security doesn't pay THAT well!). So all I do is work Impound at Speedweek and stay in touch on FB and/or Emails. They also send me a rule book which I read cover to cover (well, the car parts - don't get that bike thing) before the meet. I try to memorize as much as I can and bookmark categories (Gas class, Comp Coupe, etc.) for quick reference. I'm sure they'd use me at ElMo, etc. but I just can't be gone that much. I am, of course, a regular at ECTA meets but haven't been in any official capacity since we left Maxton.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; March 21, 2019, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Hmm...it would mark ten years since that big road trip. I may have to look into that.
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

With you and I living so far away it's difficult to be deeply involved like a lot of the guys are. All the meetings, planning sessions, volunteer training, etc. take place in SOCAL and I simply can't fly across the country on a whim (Social Security doesn't pay THAT well!). So all I do is work Impound at Speedweek and stay in touch on FB and/or Emails. They also send me a rule book which I read cover to cover (well, the car parts - don't get that bike thing) before the meet. I try to memorize as much as I can and bookmark categories (Gas class, Comp Coupe, etc.) for quick reference. I'm sure they'd use me at ElMo, etc. but I just can't be gone that much. I am, of course, a regular at ECTA meets but haven't been in any official capacity since we left Maxton.

Dan
                Yea, that was a big part of the conversation I had with Steve, like you said, being so far away makes it tough to be completely involved year around with meetings, training, etc. Same here, read the rule book regularly but not so much the motorcycle sections.

Jason

Comment

We plan to be there and in Impound. I’ve been racing at B’ville since 2001. I sure hope the salt is as good this year as it was last year.

ted

Comment

Originally posted by N49racer View Post
                    We plan to be there and in Impound. I’ve been racing at B’ville since 2001. I sure hope the salt is as good this year as it was last year.

ted
                    Hey, look me up! And best of luck on the track. What vehicle should I be looking for?

Comment

Sorry Dan. Bin working on the car and forgot to check the forum. Look for the North of 49 Racing team. The car is a AA/BFRMR red and white flames. Unfortunately the flames were real last year and we burnt up the rear of the car. I had a stuck open injector and puked fuel over the back of the car and r
                      the other cyl. Lit it. All fixed now, will chassis Dyno it next week then build the new body panels. Our record is open and we have run 260 so far but I don’t want to take a record until we get up to a more respectable speed.

See Ya On The Salt
                      Ted

Comment

I'll be the short guy working in Impound. Let's catch dinner!

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan - Sorry I missed you last year @ SpeedWeek with the 1429 in impound twice. I wasn't there! The car owner and I have parted ways over the direction of the car's progress and I wasn't too interested in working with one of his drivers (Not Ro Yale or Corey). I won't be there this year, either, and don't have plans to be there again, unless I get offered an expenses-paid opportunity. It was great working with you in impound these past years. Last time I saw you was at Ohio a few years ago when we brought the #534 roadster up to shake down a new engine combination. Continued success with Mutt and have fun!

vic
                          vic NASCARland

Comment

Originally posted by krusty View Post
                            Hi Dan - Sorry I missed you last year @ SpeedWeek with the 1429 in impound twice. I wasn't there! The car owner and I have parted ways over the direction of the car's progress and I wasn't too interested in working with one of his drivers (Not Ro Yale or Corey). I won't be there this year, either, and don't have plans to be there again, unless I get offered an expenses-paid opportunity. It was great working with you in impound these past years. Last time I saw you was at Ohio a few years ago when we brought the #534 roadster up to shake down a new engine combination. Continued success with Mutt and have fun!

vic
                            Good to hear from you, Vic! Hope to see you soon.

Mutt's getting a new rear gear as I was out of RPM at the top of the track - a good problem to solve. Going from a 3:08 to 2.73 which yields a theoretical 153 MPH so we'll see what happens. Hoping it works!

Dan

Comment

I plan on being there again. The Canadian team I wrench with has a slightly revamped car and is still running tome only. Ultimate goal is running 200mph with a Blown 4cyl Pontiac.

Comment

Working...
                              X