ECTA Spring Fling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Ok, I shopped. Now, Red IS going back, to Daytona at the end of this month. After this weekend's exercise I hope Red doesn't get run over at Daytona while his 5th gear is growing hair. He used to pull a lot longer in 4th with the stock setup and then 5th was nearly useless, too high to pull like on a race track. Maybe the overall outcome is the same or better but it sure does feel like he's stuck needing a gear between 4th and 5th. One of Superman's suggestions was to get somebody to bust open the tranny and exchange the .6 5th gear cog for a .8, but then he wouldn't cruise as calmly on the interstate. So it is what it is.
    That's why the GT500 6-speed is the answer ..... 5th is a 0.8 and 6th is a 0.63 vs. your current 0.67 5th gear, so you keep the highway manners and make 5th fully usable on a race track at speed.

Comment

..... and, as always, here's the math behind it:

With your current 5-speed, per the gear calculator we made before at 160mph you would be turning 5100-5200rpm in 5th, as you saw in your video (+/- the smaller tire size and any growth of diameter at speed). However, based on your dyno power curve you are making just over 400bhp at that point. To get to peak power at 6400rpm in 5th you would need to be running right on 200mph down a very long hill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Picture2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	243.6 KB ID:	1293238

Alternatively, with the GT500 transmission here is where 5th would be:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Picture3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.8 KB ID:	1293239

So, at 2km you would be turning around 6200-6300rpm in 5th and making the extra 50bhp to get to the mid 160mph range, with peak power coming at around 167mph.

The difference between the two, it's like you're crossing the finish line on 7 cylinders vs. where you could be with a shorter 5th.
      Last edited by Red_Kitty; May 3, 2021, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post

The difference between the two, it's like you're crossing the finish line on 7 cylinders vs. where you could be with a shorter 5th.
        From what I've looked around at online, that would be somewhere around $1400 per MPH over 160 in the 2K. All I can gather is I'd need a new clutch to match the splines and then I'd have to pay somebody to put all of that in. Naw, I'm sure I'll keep what I have and enjoy it. But you sure were right, in fact you slightly under-suggested how fast Red might go in the 2K. You said "close" to 160 and that to me was unfathomable. But Red sure did it.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I never doubted it once !
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Ok, I shopped. Now, Red IS going back, to Daytona at the end of this month. After this weekend's exercise I hope Red doesn't get run over at Daytona while his 5th gear is growing hair. He used to pull a lot longer in 4th with the stock setup and then 5th was nearly useless, too high to pull like on a race track. Maybe the overall outcome is the same or better but it sure does feel like he's stuck needing a gear between 4th and 5th. One of Superman's suggestions was to get somebody to bust open the tranny and exchange the .6 5th gear cog for a .8, but then he wouldn't cruise as calmly on the interstate. So it is what it is.

RE shopping I saw a piece on TV where Tim Allen toured us through his car collection. He got to the Ford GT and said he wanted one badly because the challenge was getting considered "qualified" to buy one. Forget the fortune they cost, you have to be a special someone to even buy a new one, even a used one if I paid attention correctly.
            I like Red better anywho....Built, NOT BOUGHT ! more personality in Red also... You've done a fine job with your modifications, and, many would shudder at even attempting what you have at half your age! Bravo old friend, and Brave Zulu to your support staff(Sue Unit) !
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

You've done a fine job with your modifications
              Well, the Retirement Racing Team has long since had a fine Procurement Officer on staff (YOU), and thank YOU Patrick! I told Andy this weekend he's starting to catch up with you, he's got parts on Red too - the airbag resistor plugs and the remote control for the GoPro.

And Unit said, "What's a Brave Zulu?"

Comment

Navy Term ... https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Brav...naval%20forces.

I personally mean it as another level of bravo... the top level
                Last edited by silver_bullet; May 3, 2021, 12:35 PM.
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Meanwhile, to complete the post-race round-up, due to a big oiling down on Saturday afternoon, racing was called about 6pm and everyone who was in the staging lanes was told they could keep their place in lines (numbers were taken) and that racing would start at 6.30am on Sunday. As I was parked out at the start line I did that, and the racing did actually get going on time on Sunday AM. Weather was cool, with a slight headwind and a few sprinkles from time to time - enough to see on the cars, but not on the track, except for a hold for a couple of minutes when it got damp mid-track.

On that basis things ran smoothly and like a regular Saturday in terms of racing; numbers were low so once the five staging lanes had cleared down, we could just loop back straight to the start line, and so I managed 4 runs by 9.30am when I stopped to pack up. Meanwhile, Jake finished his rookie passes in Lon's Neon, and Lon took over to see just what the new intake could do.

Comment

Fast cars reported in Arkansas. Film at 11!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210501_141327.jpg Views:	3 Size:	979.7 KB ID:	1293257

Last edited by Red_Kitty; May 3, 2021, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Fast cars reported in Arkansas. Film at 11!
                      Gyah I love you Andy! I saw you standing there and I thought you might be taking a "picture." Man, that's a trophy right there, thank you so much!!!!!

EDIT: What did you use to film that, a GoPro? Man that is GREAT!
                      Last edited by pdub; May 3, 2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

EDIT: What did you use to film that, a GoPro? Man that is GREAT!
                        No, it's this new-fangled "smartphone" thingy I borrowed off my pal George Jetson!

Comment

A huge meet. The Strupps have done something right to attract a participant base, they are here. My guess is a large percentage of the folks are rookies. Here's a shot from the drivers' meeting yesterday evening, all that would fit in the shot. This is a very very small fraction of the crowd. More cars on trailers were coming in as I was leaving yesterday afternoon.
                          I was talking to CJ on Sunday morning before I left, and she told me they had 51 rookie drivers at the event. That's more than the whole field at my first ECTA Arkansas meet!

Comment

I was talking to CJ on Sunday morning before I left, and she told me they had 51 rookie drivers at the event. That's more than the whole field at my first ECTA Arkansas meet!
                            Yeah, after we had breakfast Friday I ran and caught up with them on the track tour because I wanted to see the 2 KM marker. I agree, that crowd was as big as any of the prior meets I had been to in Ohio and Arkansas. It kind of hit me out there on the runway...wow this is a big crowd. And then, wait a minute, these are all the rookies.

Comment

I think landspeed racing is in good shape and growing.
                              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                                I think landspeed racing is in good shape and growing.
                                This is where I would encourage Andy to type up a version of the story he told me about that over breakfast on Saturday. I was enthralled and it would make a great read no matter how many words it is on the screen. I won't attempt to paraphrase a single bit of it. Andy, your thoughts on this?

Comment

Working...
                                X