World's Fastest Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Fastest Studebaker

I don't know how I missed this, but Les Leggitt's 1953 Studebaker became the worlds fastest Studebaker (and fastest stock bodied car) when it went 335 MPH on the salt at last week's Speedweek event.

Friends and neighbors, that is scooting right along.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_90014.jpg Views:	0 Size:	228.5 KB ID:	1304204
    Last edited by studemax; August 22, 2021, 10:27 PM.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

I've seen the car on the salt for a few years but I also missed that record run this year. That is an amazing accomplishment, congrats to to the entire crew.
    2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
    2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
    all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Les Leggitt's 1953 Studebaker became the worlds fastest Studebaker (and fastest stock bodied car) when it went 335 MPH on the salt at last week's Speedweek.
      That is very impressive. I'd love to review the stats on that drivetrain. What are those rear tires .. 60" ??

Comment

Can't find any specs, but found this from 2018 Speed Week .. "The Beast" slays C/CBFALT record with 293.858 run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 Speedweek Brandon Leggitt 1953 Studebaker The Beast C-CBFALT 293.858.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1305110

Comment

Do Studebaker's really make the best LSR cars ?
          From 2019 Speed Week ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Speed Week.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1305112

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I know I'm nit-picking but...... Notice it's running Altered so it isn't exactly stock bodied. Still, an amazing accomplishment.

Dan

Comment

I know I'm nit-picking but...... Notice it's running Altered so it isn't exactly stock bodied. Still, an amazing accomplishment.
                According to the SCTA Rulebook - it's class legal, so take it up with them, Dan.
                Altered refers to engine placement - not body alterations.
                Last edited by studemax; August 30, 2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I'm AMAZED !!
                  My itty, bitty, little brain is trying to
                  comprehend keeping a Full Body Car Straight, ON a UnPaved Surface at 335 mph.....

Comment

Some video of the Beast at speed... Notice they start it up just like a typical fuel motor, and they use a push truck to get the car up to about 100MPH at the half-mile before opening the throttle and pulling away. It's geared HIGH.

2018 The Beast 53 Studebaker Leggitt Racing Hickey Speed - YouTube

500 The Beast. Aug 2021 Salt. B/CBFALT. Bardahl Leggitt Salkins Arnold Hoddinott. SCTA SpeedWeek Mon - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

According to the SCTA Rulebook - it's class legal, so take it up with them, Dan.
                      Altered refers to engine placement - not body alterations.
                      Um - no. This is the stuff I used to inspect in Impound. Altereds are allowed several body mods that are not allowed on stock bodied classes. These mods include a step pan (partial belly pan), covered headlights and/or grille and a 2% stretch is allowed in the cowl area. Engine setback is also included so you're partially right. I didn't dig into the rule book but I'm pretty sure there is also additional spoiler size and location allowed.

None of this is to take away from their accomplishment. They did an amazing thing right there!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Um - no. This is the stuff I used to inspect in Impound. Altereds are allowed several body mods that are not allowed on stock bodied classes. These mods include a step pan (partial belly pan), covered headlights and/or grille and a 2% stretch is allowed in the cowl area. Engine setback is also included so you're partially right. I didn't dig into the rule book but I'm pretty sure there is also additional spoiler size and location allowed.

None of this is to take away from their accomplishment. They did an amazing thing right there!

Dan
                        IIRC Dan, You even had to ditch a cowl induction hood for a stock one on Mutt to run in your class?
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

IIRC Dan, You even had to ditch a cowl induction hood for a stock one on Mutt to run in your class?
                          Didn't have to but I chose to. Less air disturbance is probably always good, the cowl hood was not in great shape, and I didn't need the clearance for the Mercedes. Pretty sure they would have let me run it. The DT classes are based of the Gasser rules (not Production class rules) so there's some give as long as you don't do any streamlining other than a front air dam behind the leading edge of the bumper. A tonneau is also allowed.

Dan

Comment

Avanti
                            Called “the fastest production car in the world” upon its introduction, a modified Avanti reached over 170 mph (270 km/h) with its supercharged 289-cubic-inch (4,740 cm3) R3 engine at the Bonneville Salt Flats. In all, it broke 29 world speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats.​

Comment

Andy Granatelli was behind the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X