Why is there never enough time/ The Ohio mile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is there never enough time/ The Ohio mile

I've set a goal to run the Ohio mile this year. I thought it might take the guy/gals at the ECTA till 2013 to hammer out the details to run at Wilmington, but they did it in record time. Great job to all.

Unfortunately that puts the time crunch on to finish getting my bucket back together. Thought I had the car sorted out last spring and then it all went bad. A failed turbo, that was replaced with a larger one that required some retuning. Then stupidity on my part caused the engine to eat itself when a cam came apart. So there I sat at the end of fall 2011 with a busted engine, a broken transmission case, a tune that isn't even close yet and then they announce the Ohio mile is on for 2012! AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Been making progress, but still lots to do. Machine work on the engine is mostly done, still need a rocker system. Tranny is repaired, just need a new converter that will fit in a JW Ultrbell. Hopefully all the safety stuff makes it here in time for install (thanks Joe). Have several things to finish or change on the car. Waiting on the latest rulebook for review and see what needs changed.

Feels like April is staring me down with a double barrel shotgun already. Registered this morning so have to make it now.

Here is how the junk sits now

cool car just keep at it.That boat will fly

Comment

Awesome fins running down the sides ... if that don't make her fly, nothing will !!!
      See you there.

Comment

Sean - we all set some pretty aggressive goals for ourselves - all you can do is try. You've had some setbacks there for sure - but the car has incredible potential with you behind it.... you'll giterdun! It won't be the end of the world if you miss the April meet - there are others in '12!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          It won't be the end of the world if you miss the April meet - there are others in '12!
          Yep;

June 2-3
          July 7-8
          Sept 29-30

Comment

Thanks guys, I intend to make all the meets this summer as long as it doesn't get me fired (work a lot of weekends). Getting the car together and running shouldn't be too bad. Getting it dialed in and working well concerns me.

See you all there.

Comment

Wow.... I've not kept up with the TurboCad, didn't know about the lunched engine/trans at all.

Still, the fab work you've done to transform it under the sheetmetal is inspirational. Very neat stuff you've done with it, come a long way since the multi-colored car with the burnt interior.

Keep us posted, and perhaps I'll see you at Wilmington!
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

AAHHH!!! you remember what it started as don't ya! Would be great to meet with you again. Haven't seen any of the Cadiphiles in a long time. Bring that stang with you, would like to check it out.

For the rest of you guys. Here is near the beginning, when I first got it running N/A ran mid 13's like this.

Comment

I LOVES me some big ol' Caddys and Buicks. Way cool car. I'll look for you in Wilmington.

Dan

Comment

There is always enough time. In 2006 I took a car with no drivetrain or even doors and in 5 days had it running a driving and set a record at 179mph. It's a matter of making time by sleeping less. If you skip sleep anything is possible

Comment

I know some of you guys can pull off incredible builds in short time, rarely works for me. Probably just take a few days to get it bolted back together once all the parts are here, plus the safety stuff. It is making it work right that always eludes me.

Thanks for the encouragement. We'll get it done.

Have a question about the front bumper. It currently has a lightweight fiberglass bumper, would it be wise to go back to the steel one? Concerned about the glass one flexing around too much. It has been 135mph at the drags, but not sure about above that. Wanting to add an air dam under it.

Comment

This is what I did with my boat, looks weird but works great ! 1976 Chrysler Cordoba.
                        Here are the build pics;+++++ The front dam build starts at pic 142...+++++

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...9219e1979968b3

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/298676...rysler-cordoba
                        Last edited by YELLA BRICK; January 17, 2012, 07:47 PM.
                        http://team61racecars.webs.com/

http://baccusent.webs.com/

Comment

Sean - On the front bumper - Depends on where you want/need ballast. When I started messing with this the guys told me that weight really doesn't matter. I had a hard time believing this and proceeded to strip the car (I was going to anyway). Zero difference in top speed. Ballast, however, can be used to help hold the car down on the track. I know guys who run several hundred pounds heavier at Bonneville than they did at Maxton (hand over heart) as the car has more tendency to slip (less traction) on the salt. So base your decision on ballast and not on thinking you'll be faster with less weight.

Dan

Comment

Not too worried about weight, not sure the glass bumper can survive higher speeds mainly. Think I'll add a few extra supports and hope for the best.

Might try something similar to the yella brick but smaller.

Comment

Just an update. It is going back together. Decided to add to the mess by changing several other items along the way.
                              Front air dam is partially completed

Moved turbo to face forward and switching to an air/water intercooler.

Well, back to the garage, tons of little stuff needs fabbed and more safety items to install to finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X