Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSR "Startup Costs"

Howdy,

I'm getting fairly serious about this idea of building a CPS car out of an 81 Regal. What seems to be daunting me is the "startup costs" of getting ready for any LSR racing atleast according to the SCTA/BNI rulebook/inspection sheet in the rookie guide. I'm going to hit the questions then ask for estimates for items on the list. I will likely buy a rulebook next week but I'm starting to debate trying to find friends/sponsors to join me and I'd like to take a rough cut now. Please frame the questions as if I'm currently looking at 150mph max.

Fire System: Do all cars regardless of speed need a fire system? If it's speed based, when do you need one?

Arm Restraints: Again, all cars or at what speed?

Glass: I'm guessing that the side and rear windows on most production cars do not meet "All non-laminated glass windows and lights must be covered on both sides with safety film" and I'm guessing that window tint is not safety film. What is this stuff and how hard is it to use?

Talking costs
    Suit
    Helmet
    Fire System
    HANS
    Arm Restraints
    Window Film
    CB Radio

What's a good estimate for getting these and what can you typically get away with getting used?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

You are correct, the start up costs to participate at Speedweek or World Finals in a car can be intimidating. However, the USFRA 150 mph club at the World of Speed event will allow you to try and run 150 mph in a street car with minimal costs.

Go to www.saltflats.com and scroll down the page to see the requirements for the 150 class.

vic
    Last edited by krusty; December 18, 2012, 06:44 AM.
    vic NASCARland

Comment

I've picked up my stuff a piece at a time as my speeds (marginally) increase and a few $$ fall my way. My suit was used and donated by a team that has realistic plans to go faster than the suit allowed. I used my Bell MC helmet for several years and just stepped up to a real SA helmet with all the right features. And so on. So it's hard for me to offer a price.

ECTA is similar - below 150 you have a lot more wiggle room for less expensive equipment. If you have specific questions contact Joe or Keith for the ECTA or call the SCTA office and they can get you to the right person.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; December 19, 2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Yes it can be tough to be a "start up" racer in the SCTA. I'd have to agree with Krusty, run the USFRA 130 then 150 MPH stuff and it will get you going.
        But if you really want to run Speedweek or El Mirage, get back to us and we'll see what can be done. It'll be tough though.....

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
        Howdy,

I'm getting fairly serious about this idea of building a CPS car out of an 81 Regal. What seems to be daunting me is the "startup costs" of getting ready for any LSR racing atleast according to the SCTA/BNI rulebook/inspection sheet in the rookie guide. I'm going to hit the questions then ask for estimates for items on the list. I will likely buy a rulebook next week but I'm starting to debate trying to find friends/sponsors to join me and I'd like to take a rough cut now. Please frame the questions as if I'm currently looking at 150mph max.

Fire System: Do all cars regardless of speed need a fire system? If it's speed based, when do you need one?

Arm Restraints: Again, all cars or at what speed?

Glass: I'm guessing that the side and rear windows on most production cars do not meet "All non-laminated glass windows and lights must be covered on both sides with safety film" and I'm guessing that window tint is not safety film. What is this stuff and how hard is it to use?

Talking costs
        Suit
        Helmet
        Fire System
        HANS
        Arm Restraints
        Window Film
        CB Radio

What's a good estimate for getting these and what can you typically get away with getting used?

Thanks,
        There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Do I need to step up through the speeds in the 130 then the 150 classes for USFRA?

I've sorta got my heart set on SCTA/BNI but not locked into anything yet. One of the big reasons I ask is because I found this: Firesuitin my size and I've been sniffing around other classifieds like Racingjunk looking for things like a "Metric chassis" Ford 9in and fire systems. Honestly the hardest thing to find so far has been an 81 Regal that's not been turned into a lowrider.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

No, you don't need to step up as you say, but if you want to run SCTA you will need to have all the items you listed. There are no short cuts. Fire system, HANS, arm restrants, etc. You must have all the safety gear. Don't forget tires for the speed, rated to the next class up if there's no record in your class currently.

Have fun, hope you make the effort.

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
            Do I need to step up through the speeds in the 130 then the 150 classes for USFRA?

I've sorta got my heart set on SCTA/BNI but not locked into anything yet. One of the big reasons I ask is because I found this: Firesuitin my size and I've been sniffing around other classifieds like Racingjunk looking for things like a "Metric chassis" Ford 9in and fire systems. Honestly the hardest thing to find so far has been an 81 Regal that's not been turned into a lowrider.
            There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

probably be less expensive to buy a used car. speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?? Kidding aside, I built from day one to tech for my target speed. Saves re-doing. in east Texas, there is for sale a 200+ legal Firebird for sale in high teens.

Comment

Working...
              X