Bike drag chutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike drag chutes

Bike drag chutes, first used in Australia on Top Fuel bikes and now being used on American drag bikes, would make life a lot easier and safer for pavement land speed bike racers. http://phpbbplanet.com/granddaddyjoe...randdaddyjoesm

Originally posted by Artist View Post
    Bike drag chutes, first used in Australia on Top Fuel bikes and now being used on American drag bikes, would make life a lot easier and safer for pavement land speed bike racers. http://phpbbplanet.com/granddaddyjoe...randdaddyjoesm
    hell yea, I want a chute to accidentally deploy and yank me off of a 'busa running 210 or so... maybe not.

Maybe a backup one for the rider in case they get seperated from the vehicle? Would still scare the crap out of me if I came off the bike with all those cords. Truly ugly could happen.
    Last edited by Beagle; January 2, 2013, 05:10 PM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

We had a 'chute seminar last year at Wilmington and bike 'chutes are, indeed, being developed and some have been successfully used. They attach to the bike (makes sense unless you wanted to go parasailing) and they have a mounting point that works. One of the interesting things we learned is that the 'chute (either bike or car) is not there to slow the vehicle but to provide stability. Losing speed is a side benefit. That's all I can remember on the bike 'chutes off the top of my head.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; January 2, 2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        We had a 'chute seminar last year at Wilmington and bike 'chutes are, indeed, being developed and some have been successfully used. They attach to the bike (makes sense unless you wanted to go parasailing) and they have a mounting point that works. One of the interesting things we learned is that the 'chute (either bike or car) is not there to slow the vehicle but to provide stability. Losing speed is a side benefit. That's all I can remember on the bike 'chutes off the top of my head.

Dan
        I think in the Top Fuel bike message board I also read a comment about drag chutes providing stability.

"For something to fly straight, there must be more weight in front of the centre of pressure (body, fenders, fairing etc)than behind that centre of pressure

In other words, for everything you add to the front in terms of panels that cause air to be deflected, you need to put equal or more on the back.

The issue gets worse as you go faster as the frontal area adds pressure to the front in a ratio equivalent to the square of the speed... so where it was fine at 200, it might be uncontrollable at 210.

This is what caused my last high speed crash. The new bike had a body from the same mold, but a little different front to rear weight balance. At 210 it was fine. At 220 it lost control when I clicked it off.

So be careful putting more fairing on the front... if you do, add more side panel at the back. Wheelie bar side panels are great in this regard.

This aero action is also why a bike goes straight when the chute is out."
        Last edited by Artist; January 2, 2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          hell yea, I want a chute to accidentally deploy and yank me off of a 'busa running 210 or so... maybe not.

Maybe a backup one for the rider in case they get seperated from the vehicle? Would still scare the crap out of me if I came off the bike with all those cords. Truly ugly could happen.
          My late friend Arvil Porter was one of the very early bike riders to wear a rider stabilizer chute.

Comment

Jack McClure used a Jim Deist motorcycle streamliner drag chute on his 200 mph rocket kart.

Comment

McClure was also the first outside of drag boat racing to wear a stabilizer chute.

Comment

First open bike to use a drag chute. http://www.canosoarus.com/09JetBike/JetBike05.htm
                Last edited by Artist; January 4, 2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Rider stabilizer chute worn by rocket bike racer John Dixon.

Comment

To Many Oh----! Variables. Better brakes and better skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordplay0621 View Post
                      To Many Oh----! Variables. Better brakes and better skills.
                      Most land speed bike riders are amateurs.

Comment

Working...
                      X