Rollcage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollcage Question

I am fabricating the rollcage this week for the KIA, I need tech info for installing the crossbar to the main hoop. How high should the bar cross behind the shoulders for mounting the Seatbelts? This is for LSR, I do not have a current Rulebook and want it to meet spec.

Using a Kirky Racing Seat and 5 point Harness
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fordplay0621; January 6, 2013, 05:55 PM. Reason: add info

Use the seat belt manufactures specs to locate the mounting of the crossbar so your shoulder belts are correct. The seat back needs to be supported to the cross bar.
    Joe Timney
    President-www.delawarechassisworks.com
    Retired President-www.ecta-lsr.com

Comment

You don't want the shoulder harness to contact the metal of the seat as it would cut the material in the event of an impact. So the crossbar needs to allow the shoulder harness to clear the seat. Sometimes you can open up the slot in the seat for more clearance as needed.

What Joe said!

Dan

Comment

I'd also start looking at nets to improve driver containment in the event of a crash.
        Last edited by Artist; January 7, 2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Thanx guys. I have nets, looking for a new one for the whole Door opening. I have the seatback mount drawings to connect the seat to the bar. Time to make some measurements. Been looking for head/helmet restraint systems For the seat that can be removed because I drive the on the Street when not Racing. May just have two seats that I can exchange when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Artist View Post
            I'd also start looking at nets to improve driver containment in the event of a crash.
            You should go away now, none of those nets are LSR approved. You should really stick with goolge search posts. Thanks please drive thru!

Comment

Originally posted by Fordplay0621 View Post
              Thanx guys. I have nets, looking for a new one for the whole Door opening. I have the seatback mount drawings to connect the seat to the bar. Time to make some measurements. Been looking for head/helmet restraint systems For the seat that can be removed because I drive the on the Street when not Racing. May just have two seats that I can exchange when needed.
              If its a daily driver street car I would not install a full cage. How fast is it going to be on the track.

Comment

The car should be right at 142 mph at Bonneville size tracks without Nitrous. The cool part is this car is driven daily. Runs in the G/GSS , G/ALT , G/FSS, and G/FALT Classes. Just started to work on the Engine Internals and ECU. Management Systems, building an intake, New rear Spoiler, tires, and fire system.
                Last edited by Fordplay0621; January 7, 2013, 11:53 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Fordplay0621 View Post
                  The car should be right at 142 mph at Bonneville size tracks without Nitrous. The cool part is this car is driven daily. Runs in the G/GSS , G/ALT , G/FSS, and G/FALT Classes. Just started to work on the Engine Internals and ECU. Management Systems, building an intake, New rear Spoiler, tires, and fire system.
                  I would check with Joe then about the dual density sfi foam to see if its legal. Its 2 different layers of padding in one piece. The outside layer is very soft like the cheap foam stuff and the inner layer is hard like standard SFI. The product is SFI rated Here is the link.

Comment

Joe does have the right goodies to be legal and safe on the track.

Comment

If that first picture is your car those front down tubes dont look too hot. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I believe they would just fold under some weight. Way too many bends in them.

Comment

Originally posted by miketblsr View Post
                        You should go away now, none of those nets are LSR approved. You should really stick with goolge search posts. Thanks please drive thru!
                        You should stop annoying intelligent people with idiotic comments like "LSR approved", because none of the LSR sanctioning bodies (with the exception of FIA) are in the business of testing safety equipment. If it's got a current SFI sticker it's legal for SCTA/ECTA.

Comment

Alot of testing goes on in LSR and the safety has improved over the years. Kinda learned that if you cant stop the car, dont start it. My class requires a rollbar over 135mph. I always exceed the specs, cause I don't like going back and rebuilding every year. I'm almost to spec for 200 mph. I may never see 200 in this car but there are 4 Bangers running over 200. With the same size motor. I think it will be there in the near future. ;). Have a few tech plans for it..

Comment

TTT

Comment

That is an incorrect statement. Sfi does not mean leagal for ecta or scta. Sfi means a company paid enough money to have a sticker put on. It does not mean the product falls within the rules. Im not expert but I was trained by somone who is.

Back to the Kia. You know who has the right answers. I would always overbuild. An unsafe cage is worse for you then no cage at all in some circumstances. I am pretty leary of the bends in the forward bars. You might be better off coming straight down in front of the dash then to wrap around it. The only concern with that and what you currently run is the no foot well protection. We have the same issues in Daves camaro. We ended up running a bar from the verticle at the bend down to the horizontal door bar to keep the curve from folding in. It makes getting in and out a bitch but will help keep the corner from folding.

Comment

Working...
                              X