No announcement yet.

Rollcage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I also don't see an upper forward crossbar (along the windshield) what the plan for that. Problems would be head clearance and mirror usage for a street car.

Comment

Don't know if you remember but on the Buzz Bomb I ran a bar just above the dash after I cut out the lower bar that hit SSS in the knees when he drove it. The tech staff seemed happy with that and it might work for you. Worth a look. Terry has the car now so you could PM him if you want a pic of that. If I did it again I'd make it bolt-in like the whole cage in Bob Self's car. That way you could remove it to service the dash as needed.

Dan

Comment

Dan that helps the left to right bend but not the up to down bend.

Comment

We added the bar in whit to ours you have the double bend which creates another fold point. I circled it.

Comment

I have a crossbar for the windshield just not welded in yet. Could always add a swingout bar for ease of entry and exit when racing

There is going to be another thinner bar under the steering going to go across the dash to mount the laptop and progressjve controller.

Still have a few gussets for the corners of the junctions.
            Last edited by Fordplay0621; January 7, 2013, 04:37 PM. Reason: info

Comment

Not sure on the dash cross bar. You really need to call and talk to Mr Timney on those front bars. I just don't know how to support them. In thier current state they are more like a slinky!!! lol

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, Mike. A call to Joe would save a ton of hassles. I hate to bug him as I know he's a busy guy but he's always willing to help with safety questions.

Dan

Comment

Good lord...prebent, what will they think of next.

I don't know where to start.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

I have; seen even more extreme bends in bars. This is a fairly light car to begin with, still has all the airbags except the over head bags, with the bars right there they serve no purpose. A 5 Star rated car with a rollcage is better than just a main hoop Im sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordplay0621 View Post
                      I have; seen even more extreme bends in bars. This is a fairly light car to begin with, still has all the airbags except the over head bags, with the bars right there they serve no purpose. A 5 Star rated car with a rollcage is better than just a main hoop Im sure.
                      5 star crash test are all done under 40mph. Will you be going faster then that? Lol. Airbags won't do you any good other then causing you breathing problems when they go off. If you barrel roll it it might be ok but if it goes airborne and lands on the roof corner I'm not so sure of that. But like I said before a mechanical engineer would be able to tell you for sure.

Comment

The main hoop is located dead center. I exceeded the spec of. 120 wall tubing with. 130 wall.

Comment

Still looking at other gussets and bracing. The car looks really cool now, the tuner guys look at it differently. Some of the other street cars are looking at it differently too. It is pretty quick if you catch it around 30 mph or so. Rolls the tires thru 3rd gear. When the Nitrous sprays it is even more wow.

Comment

Working...
                          X