Looks like theres going to be a LSR event(s) in Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like theres going to be a LSR event(s) in Houston

The US Mile – Top Speed 1-Mile racing in Texas. Visit USMileRacing.com for upcoming dates and event registration.

the facility is 10 minutes from my house
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Looks like it's a half mile event. I've never heard of that distance but of course I support the sport at ANY length! Who is doing the timing? They said that they fly in the timers - maybe SCTA folks?

Dan

Comment

Gee.... I want to run really fast at a place with round bales and other stuff to hit if I happen to go off-course at speed.
      Give me the salt, where there's nothing to hit.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Looks like it's a half mile event. I've never heard of that distance but of course I support the sport at ANY length! Who is doing the timing? They said that they fly in the timers - maybe SCTA folks?

Dan
        I read somewhere about some early So Cal airport drag type events that were 1/2 mile.

Do any of the timing associations publish a guide about how to organize an airport event? With all the BRAC base closings, it would seem there are more than a few underused ex-military facilities around the country that might be "sold" on speed trials to generate revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
          Gee.... I want to run really fast at a place with round bales and other stuff to hit if I happen to go off-course at speed.

I'd certainly risk the hay bales at Goodwood . . . .

Comment

There was marginally enough runoff for a mile based on the drawings of the runways, a half-mile should give just at a mile of shutdown or more.

I'm stoked. Don't know if I'll register, but I'd like to go.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
              I read somewhere about some early So Cal airport drag type events that were 1/2 mile.

Do any of the timing associations publish a guide about how to organize an airport event? With all the BRAC base closings, it would seem there are more than a few underused ex-military facilities around the country that might be "sold" on speed trials to generate revenue.
              You might be on target with the early drag strips, My understanding is that drags were originally a fill-in for LSR as the guys couldn't always get there on a regular basis.

On the "available" military airports - there's a thread in this section on the topic. Suffice it to say that it isn't as easy as it sounds.

Stude - The ECTA and Loring provide a safe venue for LSR for those who are too far from the salt or don't want the post-meet clean-up. All three are great experiences (though I haven't gotten to Loring yet - GOTTA do that!).

Dan

Comment

Stude - The ECTA and Loring provide a safe venue for LSR for those who are too far from the salt or don't want the post-meet clean-up.
                I know. That's why I didn't mention them.
                Only been following land speed racing since Arfons and Breedlove were duking it out on the salt back in the 60's.

Comment

I've been following LSR since before I was born, when Malcolm Campbell and Henry Segrave were duking it out on the sand back in the 20's.
                  Great stuff, isn't it ?

Comment

I've been following LSR since before I was born, when Malcolm Campbell and Henry Segrave were duking it out on the sand back in the 20's.
                    Great stuff, isn't it ?
                    It is. And you don't look that old. LOL

Comment

the spring event is 1/2 mile, the fall event is 1 mile. the reason for that is to justify to the insurance carrier that its a safe fun controlled environment
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

To short to run the KIA. The distance is for high horsepower, and Drag Cars, Bikes. The KIA would get to maybe 75 mph. My Daughter lives in Houston, so I have an excuse to go there. Hmmmmmm.

Comment

Its always been a great fun to be in such safe fun control environment. I recently bought ford fusion and hope it will be pleasure to join the drive . You may expect me there on time.
                          ---------------------
                          For emergency towing, hauling and shipping assistance visit us here movers LA
                          Last edited by Monster; May 9, 2013, 10:23 AM.

Comment

There is an event this weekend - Charles, are you going? I'm down here at Dad's...

Taking Place During Aeros & Autos at Ellington Airport, Houston, TX
                            8:00 am to 4:00 pm
                            Limited to 175 vehicles

The US Mile – Top Speed 1-Mile racing in Texas. Visit USMileRacing.com for upcoming dates and event registration.
                            Last edited by Beagle; May 9, 2013, 06:52 AM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The half mile is an odd distance but ANY land speed event has to be fun. The lack of classes takes a lot of the fun out of it for me, but I'd do it for sure! Pretty far away for me, though.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X