scoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoops

how much does a scoop affect the air fuel ratio?
    at what mph does it become nessary to adjust for it?
    can i throw up a couple scoops and have you guys in the know critique them for me?
    i'm talking a N/A engine here...
    here is a few,

or this one, both are leagle....

Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Re: scoops

Someone a whole lot faster than I am will have to comment. I know Keith has messed some with them in the wind tunnel, but that was from an "air flow over the body" point of view. As far as tuning - hopefully, someone will chime in on that topic.

Dan

Comment

I can throw in a personal experiance here for what it's worth. The cowl on my chevelle picked up 2 mph and a tenth. That was after sealing it to the underside of the hood, but it didn't need any jetting changes. Previously I had a 2" cowl hood not sealed. The gains were made on the top end obviously.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

A proper scoop ends up being a device that not only pressurizes the carb a bit but doesn't cost more HP then it makes by adding that bit of Boost...

The carb might need a VERY minor adjustment... but I wouldn't expect much from a stock passenger car point of view... as someone mentioned ... I totally agree with the Hood sealing part... HUGE stuff...

As far as which one is better then the next scoop wise? that's a matter of tunnel time... trust me it's not only a blast but well worth the trip HP wise on the big end...

K

Comment

On my one trip to B'ville as a spectator, I watched guys with a lime Superbird fab a scoop base. after a certain mph, the air from the scoop was flowing past the carbs. Up to that mph, the plugs looked good. After that mph, the plugs showed lack of air.

So when the scoop works correctly, it will absolutely affect the tune of the engine.

-Brad

Comment

And as for sizing one - This might get you started - http://www.landracing.com/formula/hoodscoop.htm

Oh and the description of whats behind the calculator -

Landracing.com, your source for land speed racing information.

Comment

wow, thats pretty cool. i'll be spending some time on that one.
              see, you land speed racers are good for something. ;D joking here,
              Originally posted by TC
              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Dr. Mayf, has written a bunch of good articles for landracing.com. It is really in depth with a lot of math but he will answer you if you Email him on specific points of interest. He has helped me out with some Aero math and Parachute info already, and he can keep it understandable for anyone. Plus he's a Hoot! to talk to.

Comment

Working...
                X