Salt Cherry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt Cherry

A bunch of us are going to B'ville to spectate for a coupla days and will be camping at the Bend. None of us have been there before and I need some advise/info.
    At the Bend;
    - what is the accepted etiquette/rules as per RV camping placement ?
    - does everyone drive/tow their RV's out to the track each day ?
    - if not, how secure is your 'stuff' at the Bend if left unattended ?
    - are there porta potties on site ?
    - I'm assuming it is NOT a 'developed' camping area.
    - any other additional info/advise ?
    As far as being on the salt, the SCTA website has pretty much covered the critical stuff.
    Thanks much
    http://team61racecars.webs.com/

http://baccusent.webs.com/

Originally posted by YELLA BRICK View Post
    A bunch of us are going to B'ville to spectate for a coupla days and will be camping at the Bend. None of us have been there before and I need some advise/info.
    At the Bend;
    - what is the accepted etiquette/rules as per RV camping placement ? Seems to be, find a spot not on top of someone else. There is a fair amount of room when there are dry conditions.
    - does everyone drive/tow their RV's out to the track each day ? There is a mix of both. I drive mine onto the flats each day. A few times I've unhooked my little trailer in the general parking area and drove the car around from there.
    - if not, how secure is your 'stuff' at the Bend if left unattended ?There is no real security at the bend as far as theft goes, but BLM (?) Rangers are intermittedly driving around. I personally would consider a locked RV "fine" to leave unattended.
    - are there porta potties on site ? Yes, in a few spots, but usually closer to the actual bend. I've never had trouble finding a spot a reasonable walking distance from them.
    - I'm assuming it is NOT a 'developed' camping area. ? No I suppose not. People have camp fires, etc. though.
    - any other additional info/advise ? Rangers are looking for folks driving with open containers, will use seat belt laws to pull you over. They dis-like fireworks, but seems hit or miss on actually stopping them. Watch out for deceptively soft ground. When in doubt, get out and check on foot that it isn't going to sink your rig. If it's been dry out, it's a bit harder to tell if you are on a thick salt crust. Most the camp area though is just salty dirt (slick/sticky mud when wet).
    As far as being on the salt, the SCTA website has pretty much covered the critical stuff.
    Thanks much
    My thoughts in red.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 18, 2014, 09:26 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

And if you didn't read it on landracing.com, I'll remind you here:

Use quality sunscreen liberally and often - in places like under your nose, and other places that are usually shaded. Salt reflects the sun, and you will sunburn everywhere. Especially if you wear shorts.

Take LOTS of fluids to drink. I went through 2 gallons plus every day. I might have tinkled once during the afternoon, and then again in the evening.

Hat with at least a 2 inch brim. Sombreros are great. Sunglasses are a must.

Finally - have fun!
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

A couple of tips from a veteran (this will be my 5th. year coming up and I'm there all day every day). First of all, Stude's right. I've found the best outfit to be while pants (I use painter's pants from our commercial painter supply store). The guy I volunteer with (Dan Warner) gets by OK with shorts but he's better about slathering on sunscreen than I am. I get the white shirts that are issued to us volunteers. I've seen folks doing this, but DO NOT wear a black shirt! I wear a T-shirt under my white shirt and I tried a black one so I could do the white shirt-black shirt comparison one day. It really is as simple as black and white!

The big thing is to have fun and DON'T drive into Impound (my area). It's one of our pet peeves and Dan will geld you if he can catch you. He says killin' is too good for them. The places you can go are well marked.

And be sure to look me up in Impound (as long as you're on foot). I love meeting BSers and Bonneville is a great place to do that. I'll be pretty busy on the weekend but during the week I usually have time to BS.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; February 19, 2014, 08:55 AM.

Comment

All of what has been said makes a ton of sense. REALLY appreciate the info on the Bend. We've got some 'aged' (actually MOST of us :-) ) gearheads in this group which might be literally, 'a once in their lifetime', to see the salt in action.

I was going to bring the YELLA BRICK to run this year, but the Virginia City 341 Challenge Hillclimb is back on after a 2 year absence. 'Spectre 341 Challenge', in the past. I've wanted to run the 341 for years and want to add it to my gun handle before it disappears again. Silver State Classic is another one. But will no doubt run B'ville in '15, especially after spectating, hence catching that SALT FEVER !
          Thanks again, guys !

Comment

I'm going to be a course worker at both the May and September Silver State races. Let me know if you come to town.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

There is plenty of room at the BEND. Enter the BEND at the actual bend in the road. You will find that the ground is well packed there.
              We have seen RVs enter the flats area about a quarter mile up road from the bend and be up to the door in soft stuff.
              Most of the porta potties are located close to the actual bend in the road. They were well serviced last year. We were about 100 ft from them
              when we tent camped last year. No smell.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                I'm going to be a course worker at both the May and September Silver State races. Let me know if you come to town.
                Well, the 341 was canceled due to exceedingly high event insurance costs . So the Sept Silver State is a definite GO for us !

Comment

Working...
                X