Hp gain from N/A intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hp gain from N/A intercooler

If you run an engine N/A (carb or inj)... how much colder will the intake charge be if it goes through a water-to-air intercooler?

Re: Hp gain from N/A intercooler

Benchracing answer: Depends on how cold the water is... That sorta makes sense, right? You're looking to do air to water vs. air to air for better charge density? I have no answers, blind leading the blind, but I'm thinking add solid co2 (dry ice ) for best results. I guess you'd need a vent though, to keep the tank from blowing up

Comment

the restriction from the intercooler would kill any power you would gain. Not worth it. Been dyno tested. Or the size of the intercooler you would need to not have an airflow restriction would just be outrageous.

Comment

whats outrageous about using an interccoler from a semi and submerging it in a custom built tank. built in ballast? ok, I agree n/a charge cooler seems unnecessary. what about a cool can?

Comment

I'm just talking about the size of it to prevent restriction would be outrageous. not the thought of doing it.

Comment

Just strolling around the pits at B'ville, I saw quite a few non-boosted cars with ice-water intercoolers... just curious what the gain is...

Who did the dyno results? Did they post or discuss results anywhere?

I think airflow from a moving vehicle would negate some of the restriction... which wouldn't show up on a stationary dyno.

Comment

There are very many variables that come into play as far as the efficiencies of interoolers. but what we tested was an air to air with a 3 inch in 3 inch out that worked on a blown car to 700+hp.
              The base line on the motor was 500, once the intercooler was added it would not make more than 375-380 if I remember correctly, it wouldn't pull over 4500rpm. Turk I beleive only saw 1.5lbs of boost out of his ram air setup on the berkley which is only about 50-60hp at best. Not going to makeup the difference. Even if you could get the ram air to equal out the restriction, the cost would be far greater than the minimal gains. Maybe someone else could shed a little light on this as far as the air temps gained through an n/a intercooler setup.

Comment

As someone who has done it you CAN get 1 to 2 hp per every 10 degrees you lower the ambient temperature.
                There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Wouldn't you get as much or more result with water injection? Maybe that puts you in "fuel" classes - never thought about it before. As I understand it, the primary advantages of H2O injection is more O2 and evaporative cooling. Thoughts/comments?

Dan

Comment

I don't understand why you would put something in the combustion chamber that doesn't burn?,
                    Dynoroom, how much lower than ambient can you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by greenjunk
                      I don't understand why you would put something in the combustion chamber that doesn't burn?,
                      Dynoroom, how much lower than ambient can you get it?
                      Nitrogen is 80% of the air in the intake charge. It doesn't burn either.
                      With water injection it's the cooling effect of evaporation that make the power not the water.

If it's 110* at the track & we cool the charge down to the low 40's that can be 7-10 hp. When you run
                      a class that's very competitive (aren't they all) every bit helps.

There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

how do you get around a restriction

Comment

Originally posted by greenjunk
                          how do you get around a restriction
                          Have you measured the pressure drop across the core N/A? I have.......
                          It does depend on the core and the size though.

Next time your at Maxton ask Jesel if he ran a charge cooler on the N/A version of his truck...... ;)

300 in 1999

Comment

Totally off the wall. ???Swamp cooler? Air sucked thru a mat soaked with cold water to lower the air temp.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom
                              As someone who has done it you CAN get 1 to 2 hp per every 10 degrees you lower the ambient temperature.
                              at what displacement? Because I know I can't do that with a 5hp Briggs, right? ;)

On the one application where we were able to bring temps well below ambient, we ran into problems lighting the fire much below 50 degrees F intake temp. This was a *high* boost, small displacement application that required higher octane fuels...
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X