Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burke Avanti Then & Now

We are still working on the Burke Avanti :

1.) Have built a starter engine N/A 259 Studebaker engine as a starter engine to get all the systems working, test dry sump, and cooling system. In the back ground we are building our 1st Salt engine a 327 Studebaker engine, plan on running twin turbos.
    2.) With help from family & friends we did a "Monster Garage" long weekend repaint.
    3.) We installed front brakes (The car had only rear drum brakes) We hope to run the car at Ohio Mile ECTA with our sights on the the Salt and El Mirage in fall of 2015
    4.) I could not fit in and out of the car due to size & weight, So thanks to Jeff Rice and his Shop we are doing a retrofit on the roll cage. Additions will include, a full containment seat, retro-fit of steering column so that we can possibly use the drivers side door as the main entry & exit. With the engine set back and existing steering and cage the drivers door was blocked and entry / exit was from passenger side only.

Just Love this car and can not wait to get it racing again !
    Last edited by rack4u; April 11, 2014, 05:10 AM.

On the way to paint the car I had planned on red with gold leaf #s on the door. We had the car on an open trailer and while getting fuel this kid pulled in asking questions about the car.....he was driving a new challenger this color green.............and so
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rack4u; April 11, 2014, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Awesome car, nothing else but awe.

Comment

The new cage is amazing. I think we have a chance of surviving the crash that we aren't going to have! There's a thread of the cage build on here somewhere. Try this:

David - cool to see you posting! Any ideas on the N2O?

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; April 11, 2014, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Dan,
          Thank you for adding the link, and all of your help on the car, from the California trip after it to the multiple thrash sessions, including painting, and roll bar re-do !

Since we did not get completed, I never got around to the N20, but it is going on the car with the 259 in it. Just have to figure out location.

Comment

Right on, right on, right on.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

BTW - I've taken to calling it "The Burke/Parris Avanti". Seems appropriate as David's vision will keep the car racing into the future. I am humbled to be associated, however loosely, with this effort. Any bets on this becoming the world's fastest Studebaker powered car?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                BTW - I've taken to calling it "The Burke/Parris Avanti". Seems appropriate as David's vision will keep the car racing into the future. I am humbled to be associated, however loosely, with this effort. Any bets on this becoming the world's fastest Studebaker powered car?

Dan
                Dan,
                I am calling it the 9088 Avanti Now

The SCTA and ECTA helped us get the race #9088 combining the #s the car was mostly raced under and paying tribute to the Burke Family and Mike Cook and partners.

It has been fun dealing with the studebaker engines, I have had tons of support from the Studebaker community, people like Jeff Rice, Ted Harbit (Chicken Hawk), Jim McCuan, Tom Covington, Phil Harris, Bill/Jeff Ford, Myers Family, and so so many more...... Our 259 starter engine won't be much, but will get us rolling. I have big hopes for our 327 Studebaker Stroker engine. My turbo guy said "The engine is just a pump,So give me a strong engine bottom end that will stay together and seal the heads to withstand boost and we will make the HP you want to, BTW my Turbos do not care what brand the PUMP is" LOL

We are working on some better flowing Heads, Main Block Girdle and other stuff now. I have plans to put a SBC in the car later on and can only dream of partnering up with someone to put an old school blown & injected fuel engine in the car for the salt. Anybody got a 392 Hemi or BBC blown injected fuel engine sitting around that wants to Bonneville race please give me a ring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I got to meet Bill and Jeff Ford when we were in Georgia doing the cage. AMAZING folks! Bill is even older than I am (can you believe it??!!) and he's one of those guys who says "well, let's see. Maybe of we put a block of metal HERE and grind the port LIKE THIS it'll flow more than a hemi" - and it probably will. He doesn't think out of the box, he HAS no box! It was a real honor to meet him.

Bill is doing David's engines - lucky David and lucky Avanti! The 259 that "isn't much" makes over 300 HP on the dyno and it's a pretty mild engine. I'm almost afraid to think of what the "big" engine will do! The other guys are great and creative folks, too.

Dan

Comment

This car is quite something. I can't wait to hear how it does on the track. It has lots of LSR potential. A 327 Studebaker engine is quite a feat. I am very impressed with this whole project.

Comment

Hey Joe -
                      I'm sure I can get you an opportunity to work like a slave on the car for free when you're in the mood! The car's in the Maggie Valley area so you would have a shorter drive than I have.

Great to hear from you - hope all is well.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Hey Joe -
                        I'm sure I can get you an opportunity to work like a slave on the car for free when you're in the mood! The car's in the Maggie Valley area so you would have a shorter drive than I have.

Great to hear from you - hope all is well.

Dan
                        Yes Joe & Dan and ALL interested, that is indeed a very valid & solid opportunity !!

Comment

Seriously, David is great to work with. No yelling and throwing wrenches (at least when I've been around). And he's open to alternative ideas. Low drama makes for a fun experience.

But the next time I get his way I'm carving out time to hit Wheels Thru Time - it's right there.

David - do you need my welder or did you get the cage finish welded?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X