Would Anyone Buy One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Anyone Buy One

Thought occurred to me while riding the train home from work (40min commute) the other day. GM's and Fords share pressure angles on splines in the diff and the same number of splines between a 10-bolt and an 8in. A 10-bolt has to be one of the most popular rear ends because of the vast array of smog era LSR friendly gear sets available but it lacks positively retained axles. 8in Fords aren't very popular, have a more limited gear selection and take more power to run; however they do have positively retained axles and a drop out centersection.

Strange makes a 12-bolt centersection for a 9in, think the LSR community would buy a 10-bolt centersection for 8in and/or 9in Ford rear axles? Yes, I realize you can do C-clip eliminators or custom axles/housing ends with Ford bearings but this would buy you the ability to swap ratios easier, good for non-quickchange requiring classes.

Thoughts?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Hummmmm

The little stock rear in the S-10 will handle my kind of power but some guys NEED more HP ability.

Dan

Comment

I believe the whole idea on the 12 bolt carrier was for it'd reduced hypoid angle to eek out a little less parasitic drag. IIRC,the tallest ratio for a 9 inch is 2.5 and lowest is in the low 6's. I think the 12 bolt's tallest is 2.37. To me it seems like it would be a very small market for something that has a very small advantage in either friction or ratio selections. The 10 bolt GM 8.5 is a very tough axle. The Ford 8.8 is common as dirt and a kissing cousin to the Chevy 12 bolt. So close in fact they even share the same bearings.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I wasn't thinking so much in the power handling department but power consumption and gear availability. I agree it would be a limited market but since production doesn't let you run a quick change but is open to any axle, seems like a decent way to play with the final drive ratio without having to cart whole rear axles around and just swap the center sections.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I went to SE website but do not find the 12bolt/9" you speak of.......
          You get into the low 2.'s and you'll be needing a ton of grunt to make use of it......
          Last edited by YELLA BRICK; September 18, 2014, 08:55 PM.
          http://team61racecars.webs.com/

http://baccusent.webs.com/

Comment

The drop out 12 bolt center section you're talking about only works with the series II carrier. The 2.29 ring & pinions for a 12 bolt are very hard to find now a days and use a series III carrier which will not fit the Strange Engineering piece. Been there.
            I feel the correct gear ratio is more important than any small reduction in gear friction drag so look at the quick change gear kit that bolts on the the front of the 9" Ford or the Weisman 5 speed with quick change gears in the tail housing.
            As a side note we ran a 12 bolt in the 300 MPH Firebird. Used a special set of 2.13:1 gears made by Richmond Gear for John Lingenfelter when he was running on the salt. Only 25 sets made and no one wants to sell any of the ones that remain.......
            There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Noticed you're looking a Production so forget about the 9" Ford quick change kit, however the transmission is legal, expensive though.
              There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom View Post
                so look at the quick change gear kit that bolts on the the front of the 9" Ford
                Who makes this unit ?
                http://team61racecars.webs.com/

http://baccusent.webs.com/

Comment

Mike - It's such a privilege to have someone with your real-world experience on here. Thanks for sharing the info that you share.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X