No announcement yet.

Joe's 71 Dodge Sweptline D100.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the strangest thing happened today while working on the truck.

We installed a new ballast, coil and repaired some wires to the starter relay that were damaged because a ground wire was not hooked up.

I noticed the fusible link was blown so I got that sorted and when we hooked up the battery to start the truck it started to crank over....no keyed power and not starter button pushed....just cranking away....

We swapped out the relay and no more ghost starting....We took the relay apart and it is just a electromagnet...so we were trying to figure out how it could fail closed....weird....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've had an ignition switch cause ghost starting.... don't know about your case, but it is something to check
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        I've had an ignition switch cause ghost starting.... don't know about your case, but it is something to check

we swapped the relay and the ghost start went away....now the GD thing wont fire off still...the only thing left is the ICU....I'll pick on up tomorrow I guess....old cars can be frustrating sometimes...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Sounding more like an ign switch

Comment

I have had a after market ford starter solenoid get stuck in crank. It was not that old, I through it away and got one from my friendly local ford dealer.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Well, I replaced the ICM and still not start. I dont feel too bad about spending the money one the part as the insulation on the old one was starting to crack and fall away.

I fixed some other questionable connections and inspected more wires checking for voltage....Damn thing cranks over fine just not getting any power to the coil.

then it donned on me....We replaced the instrument cluster...and when we did we blew some fusible and burned some wires when we powered it up...all thats been repaired but why wont it fire....

then I started thinking back to my Fury...I replaced the gauge panel hoping to get the ammeter and fuel gauge working and suddenly it wouldn't start either....

the reason was the ammeter....I bypassed it on the Fury and it fired right up....so...I am fairly certain that this is my issue...It's too damn hot to do it now....

Comment

Working...
              X