Back in to a Fox body, this time an 88 Turbo Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in to a Fox body, this time an 88 Turbo Coupe

So going back to before the holidays I had been scouring the classifieds in southern Ontario looking for something interesting again. Last summer I had sold my 66 Thunderbird and my 89 Mustang project when a friend offered me a can't refuse price on his modded 07 Mustang GT. I enjoyed the hell out of the 07 for the balance of the summer, but still had a hankering for something a bit older. I had always loved the 87-88 Turbo Coupes, the last of the Fox platform T-Birds. For 87 they got the aero nose treatment, 4-wheel disc with ABS, ride control shocks, and upgraded HP with a version of the SVO spec intercooled 2.3 turbo 4. These have about a 4-inch longer wheelbase than a Fox Mustang, with stiffer rocker sections, and make for a nice highway cruiser. Fuel tank is 22 gallons, so if you stay out of the boost on a highway trip, you can drive a long way before a fuel stop. Unfortunately at my age I'll likely have to stop for a wizz before that. LOL

High mile car that had a proper paint job about 8 years ago and hasn't gone far since ... it was taken completely apart for the respray, including engine removal. New front fenders, all new OEM lights across the front. Lower mile engine and trans from another car that he had parted out. Some refreshed suspension pieces, new exhaust with Magnaflows, new fuel tank with a 255L pump (at one point he had a modded engine in the car), and yes, it has three pedals. I had been looking at an 84 Mustang SVO as well before Christmas, but it got sold. This car is much nicer cosmetically than than the SVO was, and the Bird is obviously a more refined Fox. It looks great, but isn't so nice that I'm afraid to drive it or put a wrench to it ... if it was a low-mileage survivor, I don't think that I could enjoy it as much. Only real noticeable cosmetic flaw is the fading on the tops of the black cloth seats, they are almost a blueish colour now. Going to try dyeing them possibly, other than that, the interior looks almost as minty as the outside.

Seller turned out to be the brother of a guy that I knew from many years ago through one of the Toronto area Ford clubs who was also a service engineer at Ford Oakville. Car is still in his storage behind is business for now, until the weather breaks a bit and I can get it over to the dealership for the safety check and e-test (wish it was an 87 so I didn't have to worry about the test). Plan is to just drive it this summer, maybe a few minor mods, make sure that I'm digging it before spending money on wheels / tires / suspension upgrades etc.

cheers
    Ed
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

I love the Turbo-coupes, this looks like a great example! Nice!
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Not a bad looking Ford.. Aunt had one, Uncle let my kid drive it.. (great uncle to the kid) told him to step on it and make Uncle Mike (my older chicken brother) pee his pants.. Mike got out and said the kid was as crazy as his dad! I BEAMED WITH PRIDE! Wanted to try my own since!

Comment

Great find if the one I had was as nice as yours I would have kept it. What's max boost right now?
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
          ... Plan is to just drive it this summer, maybe a few minor mods, make sure that I'm digging it before spending money on wheels / tires / suspension upgrades etc.
          oh hell yes! That's a beauty, and bonus, it's an economy car! Maybe after you rub some new off the gas pedal.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Russell, not sure on max boost, will have to try that out once I have it plated and on the road. I do have a "Gillis boost valve" on order, a nice adjustable piece that seems to be favoured by the 2.3T Ford crowd.

Beagle, I'm only buying runners now, as my past history has shown that I get bored and lose interest in non-running projects too quickly. Any mods on this one will be (hopefully simple) bolt-on things. I have no issues doing suspension or brake upgrades ... especially when I don't have to fight corroded fasteners.

cheers
            Ed
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
            X