No announcement yet.

Project Mustang Consolidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have not felt like working on the suspension so tonight I did engine stuff, installed ground wire, O2 harness, low oil sender, thermostat, upper intake, and heater hoses, and charcoal evacuation line. For the last week I have not been able to find the starter bolts. As I was about to give up looking for the night I remember I hid a bunch of stuff in the closet the other day before I had guest over. Sure enough they were in the box with the headers. Got to love bagging and labeling bolts then can't find the bag!
    While I was getting my long lost bolts I looked at the dash I pulled out of the 87 and the answer to the missing plug was right there. Quick Google search, coolent fan relay.

Last edited by Russell; July 22, 2016, 09:18 PM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Go Russell Go!

(to steal a TSB phrase. )
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Man ..... Russel all this progress.... did you get fired?

Looks great. FYI you started a big with discussion my lemmons buddies about concentric circle alignment that resulted in my hang over today.
        Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

• JP1 and JP2 went to the beach for a week, I took 40 hours off work and put more 40 hours in the shop. I was able to work 3 nights this week. I really want to bang gears again. The goal is to do one thing each day. There was only one night I did not make it out to the shop.

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• That's awesome.,.....dad gets a carcation!
            Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

• Saturday I was out of town, Sunday I didn't do anything. Got a few things done today. Starter is on, EGR and TB, I think it looks like a 5.0 now

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• This car has a manual rack, so I was going to delete the power steering. The pulley belt combo that I have that deletes PS uses a very small race pulley. I wonder how bad that will effect my AC
                Last edited by Russell; July 27, 2016, 09:25 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• It's beginning to look like a car too!
                  Last edited by Huskinhano; July 26, 2016, 12:33 PM.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Coil spring installation is kicking my butt.....

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Here is how I have put the front springs in my fox the last few times: I leave the control arms bolts loose so I can swing them down freely. Then I place the coil spring in the top spring pocket, and bring the control arm up and get the bottom of the spring positioned so it will slip in the spring pocket in the control arm. Then I take big hose clamp and attach the bottom of the spring to the control arm, through the hole in the bottom and around the back of the arm. Then I jack the arm slowly under the ball joint, and as the arm comes up, I use my foot the kick the spring into the lower pocket. Maximum Motorsports has a nice tool (see link below) to accomplish the same thing, but hose clamps are cheap.

I don't know what spring you are using, but this works for the bullit/mach 1 springs in my car. The stock height V8 spring may be too tall to use my method. Last time I put a stock spring it required butchery of a regular spring compressor and lot of swearing.

Comment

• I was able to do it knocking them in place with a rubber mallet. (replaced the control arms this winter).
                        That was with a drop spring, probably much easier than the stockers.

Your car is coming along nicely.
                        1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                        1997 Mustang GT
                        sigpic

Comment

• I am trying to use the springs that came with the roller, I am assuming (It still had the original struts and small brakes) they are un-cut 4 cyl springs. MM says that their tool will not work with stock springs. I am leaning heavily toward going and buying a press and some wire and doing the BBR method.

They are just barely to long to fit with the lower control arm loose on the strut side, I have not been able to get the seated on both ends at the same time. I made three attempts the other jack method of unbolting the k-member side and jacking up the back side. I see where that will work but alot has to come together to get them to line up. First try it was out to far, second the jack topped out before I got it high enough, third try the 2x4 hit the k-member before the a-arm was high enough. That when i through in the towel and decided to reach for the check book!

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• You can bring 'em here and we'll squeeze them in the press - good excuse to come this way. Bring your own wire - all I have is welding wire and I'd guess it's kind of light gage for this.

Dan

Comment

• Dan thanks for the offer if only you where alittle closer or I had more free time.

I went and picked up a 20 ton shop press from HF and got it assembled. Looks ok the frame is channel so hopefully it will last a lifetime or two. My floor is no where near level, the directions said to bolt it to the floor not sure I want to do that but I may put a strap to the wall.

Hopefully tomorrow I can compress and install springs.

Last edited by Russell; July 28, 2016, 08:10 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Got one side in using the BBR method. Took about 2 hours frist time was two long, second time I did not get them straight across so it had a bow in it, try 2.5 I put it back in the press and added wire on the long side. Got it in and the strut nut on and the bottom tail was not seated right so I took it out and moved it over a little to far the other way but was able to spin it before removing the wire. Will try to get wire pictures of the other side.

Last edited by Russell; July 29, 2016, 09:24 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X