Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    replied
    Had to tap the driveshaft out of the transmission with a hammer it would not go in or out. What caused that? What is the fix? Also over crushed the sleave on the pinion. Not a good day in the shop.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    [QUOTE=Russell;n1163904]

Surely you don't go home everyday?QUOTE]

Not for lunch anyway, lol. I'm only home on weekends. It sucks on many levels but you do what you have to.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I hear ya, but I am very sceptical that the paint will match. It might not be to bad with it being the flat hood and trunk. I guess if I don't like it I can always paint it black.

The front clip on my Lincoln has been repainted most of the time it's not that noticeable, but when the sun is bright I can tell the fenders don't match the doors.

Body work will come after its driving again and I finish putting the interior back in. This is just "temporary" if I keep the car long term I want to paint it all gloss black.
    Last edited by Russell; June 28, 2017, 02:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Bring it over once I get home and bring the purple gas tank door. We'll get Gene at the paint store to match the color and then I'll learn ya how to shoot paint!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Tonight instead of working on the car I went an picked up a trunk lid. It's a little ruff but good enough for a street strip car. I am not a big fan of wings on a 9 second car (1/8 mile) I am not sure if I can match the purple paint. I really don't like paint that is close but off a few shades. I have a few flat hoods, one is the same red! I could put them on as is and be really tacky or I thought about semi gloss black for the hood and trunk

What would you do?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
    Now I'm 150 miles from home.
    Surely you don't go home everyday?

Got the brakes finished on the trailblazer, maybe tomorrow I can work on the mustang.

I am sittin out side watching it rain, have not done this in a while it sure is peaceful.

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Now I'm 150 miles from home.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    My last job I was 15 min away I went home some for lunch it was great 15 to get there 30 to eat 15 back, now it's about 40 minutes so no more lunch breaks on the coach.

Worked in the shop some tonight but unfortunately it was on a chevy, the trailblazer needs brakes. I don't like working on it bit I am to cheep to pay someone else.

I just noticed the TnT sticker on the mustang 9-15. 88 days before the one year mark. New goal get back on the track before the one year mark! Wow where did the time go.

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Those small steps do add up. My last job I had a hour for lunch and lived 3 miles from work. I would go home from work, eat lunch and have about 20 minuted to fart around on something. free time from honey do list.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I had hoped to get this back together before HG got here but it's still on Jack stands. He no longer requires a middle of the night bottle so other than replacing the plug when it fall out sleep is more normal. I got a couple hours in the shop tonight! Most of the time I picked up and put away.

But I did install the small pinion bearing, oil slinger, and seal! Very small steps in the right direction!
    Last edited by Russell; June 14, 2017, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    When I put bearings in the 98 dad helped me with the crush sleeve, I was under the car he stepped on the breaker bar.

I now have one of the earthquake impact gun. Other than the chance I might over tighten it is there any reason not to try the impact.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Pulled the ring and pinion, carrier bearings didn't look to bad, the front pinion bearing has some little pits and it spun on the pinion, how does that happen? It was missing the oil slinger, maybe they are important, so I went to the ford place, parts guys said it was my lucky day, they are normally not stocked but he had two they come in a package of 4 someone mus have special ordered one. To make sure I never need one in the future I bought them both

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Lots of metal in the gear oil, tried to measure the back lash about .004 -.005 pattern looked ok ish

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Heck if I know. They were on the axles when I bought them. If I were guessing though I'd say they were ball.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I will double check the housing, but I did trim them more before I put them back together the last time. There was not as much fluid in them as the last time but I don't know how long it was leaking before I got it.

I think I am going to clean them put the new bearings in the center if that doesn't work I will pull the axles again they are easy to remove.

BBR are yours ball bearings or roller bearings?
    Last edited by Russell; January 26, 2017, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X