Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    replied
    I will double check the housing, but I did trim them more before I put them back together the last time. There was not as much fluid in them as the last time but I don't know how long it was leaking before I got it.

I think I am going to clean them put the new bearings in the center if that doesn't work I will pull the axles again they are easy to remove.

BBR are yours ball bearings or roller bearings?
    Last edited by Russell; January 26, 2017, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    My new (to me) axles are Moser 33's with Moser c-clip eliminators and so far I have no leaks. I was fairly liberal with the rtv when installing. If you take them apart make double sure the axle housing has been trimmed enough so that the eliminator bolts flush to the housing flange. I feel this is probably why some guys leak and others do not.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Part of the problem maybe I have used parts, some on the Internet say the strange (what BBR has) leak less than Moser (what I have). They sale replacement seals and bearings so they may be on the list?

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    BBR has eliminators on his Mustang. He detailed the installation in his thread....IIRC he did some logical home-brewed modifications during the install. Don't remember him having any leakage issues, and he street drives it more than most.

Here is a link to the page in his thread. http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...r-s-83gt/page7

Last edited by STINEY; January 26, 2017, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I have them on Mutt but Terry installed them and I don't know any particulars (brand, etc.) - maybe Terry will chime in here. I haven't seen any leakage. No idea if this is useful info.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    That's apparently a common problem with the C clip eliminaters, they leak. They're designed to go straight on the drag strip and leak or can leak under turns. That seems to be their reputation. I can't say personally, only what I hear

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Does not look like it leaking around backing plate. Bearing spins no noise but it does seem to have a good bit of drag. How freely should a c-clip eliminator spin on an axle?

They are 33 spline 1.532 M/E 9300

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Got the car back in jack stand jail, pulled the drive shaft, rear tires and brake drums, right c-clip eliminator is leaking need to pull the shoes off and see where it's coming from, so far the seal to the backing plate looks good. Can these be rebuilt?

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Sounds like pinion depth was not correct, acceleration side made good, coast side off.. Depth wrong, made up by moving carrier to one side..
    Check your contact pattern..
    I would guess coast side is riding near the top of the gear
    Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 16, 2017, 11:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Finished up the welding. The body seems to be making less noise, but the rear end is LOUD!!! On power not bad on coast.

Gears? Bearings? That's the way it is when you buy an old race car and try to make a street car out of it?

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I've taken to buying the big rolls, too. Seems like if the welder is up and working it goes to work so I use more wire.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Started welding inside the car and ran out of wire. Jennifer's Dad gave me a $25 visa gift card for Christmas, so I added a little to it and got a 12.5 pound roll of wire! That should last me a while, a 2 lb roll lasts a few years

When I finish the Lincoln I will get back to the welding.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I got the torque box kit and got it bolted in over the Christmas weekend in my Dad's shop it was nice to have the car on the lift. I think I found where some the noise was coming from there were a few spot welds that were pullin apart. I hammered them back and rewelded. I forgot to put the cat back on so I didn't drive it much but so far the rear is quite. I am going to weld up the toqure boxes kit.

Itching to take it back to the track!

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I have taken it for a few short trips. It needs work. Planning on installing a torque box renforcement kit. I hope it will take some of the flex out caused by the spool and solid 4 link.

Second on the list is to install new pinion and carrier bearings it hopes it it makes the rear quite while going down the road.

Where do you get your bearings?
    Last edited by Russell; November 26, 2016, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    No I don't trust it yet. I trailered, it's about 80 miles to the track. Loading, unloading, loading, unloading and strapping it down reminded me how much I don't care for trailer queens.

Beagle when do we get to see your time slips?
    Last edited by Russell; September 16, 2016, 04:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X