Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    And check rear lower control arm length if they are adjustable.
    Last edited by BBR; August 10, 2016, 11:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    I see 2 sets of slots in this photo.....maybe be sure its in the rear pair of slots?

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    What k-member? My QA-1 had 2 sets of motor mount slots.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    New used volvo 5.0, new quicktime bellhousing, same old T5, same old driveshaft, tube k-member and 8.8 where already in the roller.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Is the trans and driveshaft combo from the same running car?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I don't know how much is in the trans, but witness marks on the trans cross memeber is about an inch behind the current location.

I am now questioning weather or not I put the motor mounts in on the opposite side and if that would shift it foward?

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Installed the hand brake, while I was under there hooking up the cables I noticed the driveshaft looked short. Did the after market k-member move the engine foward?

Looks a little suspicious. How much of the yoke is inside the trans though? If you have enough engagement, the amount that sticks out is probably not as big an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Installed the hand brake, while I was under there hooking up the cables I noticed the driveshaft looked short. Did the after market k-member move the engine foward?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    There is a ton of little stuff left, it is nice to be able to mark things off the list:

Battery box
    Motor mount bolts
    Hooked up engine to chassis fuel lines
    Ground straps
    Fill trans
    Install driveshaft (did those backwards).

Nothing picture worthy.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Had family vacation last week so no work on the car. Put the second spring in this morning. Here is the frist try the compressed height is about 12.5" after fighting with it way to long I put it back in the press and got it less than 12". Was able to hold it in with my boot as I raised the jack.

89 V8 LX, on the left, what I think is 87 4 cyl right

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Got one side in using the BBR method. Took about 2 hours frist time was two long, second time I did not get them straight across so it had a bow in it, try 2.5 I put it back in the press and added wire on the long side. Got it in and the strut nut on and the bottom tail was not seated right so I took it out and moved it over a little to far the other way but was able to spin it before removing the wire. Will try to get wire pictures of the other side.

Last edited by Russell; July 29, 2016, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Dan thanks for the offer if only you where alittle closer or I had more free time.

I went and picked up a 20 ton shop press from HF and got it assembled. Looks ok the frame is channel so hopefully it will last a lifetime or two. My floor is no where near level, the directions said to bolt it to the floor not sure I want to do that but I may put a strap to the wall.

Hopefully tomorrow I can compress and install springs.

Last edited by Russell; July 28, 2016, 08:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    You can bring 'em here and we'll squeeze them in the press - good excuse to come this way. Bring your own wire - all I have is welding wire and I'd guess it's kind of light gage for this.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I am trying to use the springs that came with the roller, I am assuming (It still had the original struts and small brakes) they are un-cut 4 cyl springs. MM says that their tool will not work with stock springs. I am leaning heavily toward going and buying a press and some wire and doing the BBR method.

They are just barely to long to fit with the lower control arm loose on the strut side, I have not been able to get the seated on both ends at the same time. I made three attempts the other jack method of unbolting the k-member side and jacking up the back side. I see where that will work but alot has to come together to get them to line up. First try it was out to far, second the jack topped out before I got it high enough, third try the 2x4 hit the k-member before the a-arm was high enough. That when i through in the towel and decided to reach for the check book!

Leave a comment:

• Teddyzee
    replied
    I was able to do it knocking them in place with a rubber mallet. (replaced the control arms this winter).
    That was with a drop spring, probably much easier than the stockers.

Your car is coming along nicely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X