Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskinhano
    replied
    I think women make some damn good welders! When they were putting gas lines in from the wells, my friend was telling me there was this woman welding, she was like a machine just laying down beautiful welds. I was watching Wheeler Dealer. They were working on a V8 Rover and had a set of custom made headers done. The shop building them, I guess the guy's wife was bending the tubing and tig welding it. Her work would have given any guy a run for the money.
    Last edited by Huskinhano; February 17th, 2016, 10:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    When I told her it was not working right she suggested I check the settings on the welder I had it set to high. I asked he if she wanted to help, she said "I will do it" that was not my intention so I desideed to do it myself. A year ago I would have said I was the better welder. She has practiced a lot and even has a certification. Sheet medal is tougher than the thicker stuff.
    Sheet metal takes practice, for sure.

Folks - Mrs. Russell teaches (my words, not hers) Agricultural Mechanics (among other things) at a local trade school. She HAS chops well beyond mine in the welding world.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

Thanks, in the truck to the right of the spair tire well

I'm glad you spelled it correctly - after all, it's despair tire

Leave a comment:

• MP&C
    replied
    Nice job on the trunk repair!

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    When I told her it was not working right she suggested I check the settings on the welder I had it set to high. I asked he if she wanted to help, she said "I will do it" that was not my intention so I desideed to do it myself. A year ago I would have said I was the better welder. She has practiced a lot and even has a certification. Sheet medal is tougher than the thicker stuff.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Did Jennifer coach you? I hear she's good with a welder.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Not all that bad! Be careful, you'll get good at this.

Dan
    Thanks, I have some more in the floor boards and a under the hood.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Where is it? Looks good.
    Thanks, in the truck to the right of the spair tire well

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Where is it? Looks good.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Not all that bad! Be careful, you'll get good at this.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; February 16th, 2016, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I wanted to do my best MP&C impression, The only car anyone would care less about than a fox mustang is a third gen camaro, I don't have a camaro so this will have to do. I have plenty of room for improvement! Here is the hole the PO installed

Remove paint / rust.

Spots

Grind

More spots, more grinding, more spots, more grinding, close enough!
    Last edited by Russell; February 16th, 2016, 07:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Welded on the 87 some tonight. Filled two big holes with sheet metal and spot welded two screw wholes. I had much better luck with these using the copper backing. One I go the might better adjusted, I had it turned up to high, second I don't think magnet held it tight enough. I will post a few pictures tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Huskinhano I've heard some not so great things about Howards cams build quality??

I'm building a beer money 302 for the 64 - the plan is stock bottom end, new rings, home hone, GT40 heads, stock bolt down rockers and stock pushrods (as long as geometry looks good) E303 cam with proper springs / retainers, need to pull the heads apart to see if a valve job or any guide work is required. So far the bores and pistons measured out pretty good, cross hatch is still visible in the bores and there's very little ridge at the top of the bores. There is some taper, most bores measured 4.001" at the bottom and 4.005 near the ridge, pistons all came in at 3.997+ at the base of the skirts.

I'll look around for a B cam Beags....
    Really? What have you heard? I know they don't have the recognition of Comp and so on, I've never heard anything bad about them either. You're the first I've heard. Hey, you work for Ford, right? Can you comment on the distributor gear post I accidentally put in the project forum. I'm wondering what Ford made their 5.0 OHV roller cams out of?

I'm holding off as long as I can with a cam. I'll clean and paint every little bracket first. The cam will be the last thing I buy. Gives me plenty of time to make up my mind. Push comes to shove, I'll put the P cam back in for the time being. Hell this thing should run better then the 7 cylinder in the car now.

I'm building mine on PBR money. I paid $450 for the engine and trans, sold a set of P heads for $525 and sold the trans as a core for $25. I was glad just to get it out of the garage. My motor is *suppose* to have less then 40K.
    Last edited by Huskinhano; February 10th, 2016, 08:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Huskinhano I've heard some not so great things about Howards cams build quality??

I'm building a beer money 302 for the 64 - the plan is stock bottom end, new rings, home hone, GT40 heads, stock bolt down rockers and stock pushrods (as long as geometry looks good) E303 cam with proper springs / retainers, need to pull the heads apart to see if a valve job or any guide work is required. So far the bores and pistons measured out pretty good, cross hatch is still visible in the bores and there's very little ridge at the top of the bores. There is some taper, most bores measured 4.001" at the bottom and 4.005 near the ridge, pistons all came in at 3.997+ at the base of the skirts.

I'll look around for a B cam Beags....
    Last edited by milner351; February 10th, 2016, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    yeah, I saw them at 200 new. They used to go for 50-75 on the local boards, which is what I call cheap! I guess they all got melted down, it's certainly had it's day in the sun... I have a solid flat tappet I bought from a Crower Garage Sale for 20 bucks. I'll use it. Let's call it "lumpy".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X