Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cstmwgn
    replied
    I am running a hopped up 3G (200 amp) on my wagon. I am also running a 4ga wire from the alternator to a distribution block. The wire from the battery, starter motor and alternator are all terminated together at the distribution block. I would also recommend running a big fuse (~250amp) between the alternator and the distribution block just in case bad things happen.

If the car doesn't have EFI the probably not but I am not sure that there is anything terrible about running the power cable the way you described it. Mine runs forward and under the radiator and then back along the passenger side.
    Last edited by cstmwgn; June 1, 2018, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    The next project I want work on is upgrading the alternator. Most suggest running a new 4 gauge wire to the battery side of the solenoid. The original charge wire runs around the front of the radator. It looks like it would be shorter to run the wire across by the starter or ground wire. Is there any reason these need to be separate? I do plan to change the starter to a mini that is hot all the later on.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Got a new battery, it's very nice not to have cranking issues. I removed the lift off hood and installed a red stock one with dents. It will get paint someday. It's nice to have working hood hinges. I tried a factory air box with k&n I couldn't tell a difference. I added some inside trunk panels. I think its quiter. Switched the rear tires to MT DR on welds.

Took it to the track Friday. Got to mark one thing off my bucket list. Race Dad! I got out first but he had me by half track. A different pass cut a little off my 60' time but I think that's the pass I tried shifting to 4th and it slowed in the second 330'.

1.837, 8.956 @ 75.29

Last edited by Russell; May 31, 2018, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I load them from my old Canon (actually, straight from the SD card) so I'm not sure about a phone download. Bet we can sort it out either way. - and I'm a computer idiot!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I just host 'em on my 'puter - easy-peasy. Download from your camera/phone and set up a file folder for each topic. Next time you're here I'll show you how I do it.
    Dan
    Do you have to resize them? Seems like they will never load from my phone

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I just host 'em on my 'puter - easy-peasy. Download from your camera/phone and set up a file folder for each topic. Next time you're here I'll show you how I do it.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Instagram? Oh you kids!!!!
    Dan
    Ever sense PB, I have had a ruff time with pictures. I tried imgur it worked for a while the last time I tried the picture would not show. Instagram is my second favorite social media to forums

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    My 2 cents is: getting a manual trans car to hood with drag radials is an exercise in frustration. They just have such a small window of hook vs. spin that it is difficult to be consistent. A pair of bias ply ET Streets or slicks will put a big smile on your face every time you dump the clutch. Even with marginal track conditions.
    That's what you and everyone one else keeps saying, I know it's true! I am hard headed and I already have the DRs. I did buy one of the clutchtamer.com things. I am still playing with the settings.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    IC should be just below the center of mass in the car. Usually, that point is about where the crank meets the flywheel.... think of it this way - when you nail the throttle, you want to lift the car at its heaviest point... of course, there is more to it, but there's the nutshell.
    So move the IC foward?
    what's the red line? Would getting the IC under the red line do the same thing?

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    My 2 cents is: getting a manual trans car to hood with drag radials is an exercise in frustration. They just have such a small window of hook vs. spin that it is difficult to be consistent. A pair of bias ply ET Streets or slicks will put a big smile on your face every time you dump the clutch. Even with marginal track conditions.
    Last edited by BBR; May 2, 2018, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    IC should be just below the center of mass in the car. Usually, that point is about where the crank meets the flywheel.... think of it this way - when you nail the throttle, you want to lift the car at its heaviest point... of course, there is more to it, but there's the nutshell.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Instagram? Oh you kids!!!!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Not sure if these numbers are any good I am sure the shop floor is not level but maybe they are close. I can't reach to measure the pinion angle while it's on the ground have to do that another day

How does it look?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    99 mph out of a VW is not bad, my car is slower than that.

The next thing I am going to have to spend money I think will be a new battery. It starts great cold but has a hard time cranking at operating temp. I have an old resistance tester and it test weak, put the jump box on it and it starts with out issue, so I don't think its the starter.

Am I missing something or do I just need to quit being cheap and replace the battery? It's old enough to need replacement as well.

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    replied
    Nothing quite rocks like taking your ride down the track!

There's something about going out and seeing all of the big talkers go quiet, and the timeclocks starrt talking. Isn't that awesome? It tells you what's right and what's wrong (to a point... my FWD VW runs 14.7's @ 99mph... so it tells me that I should get my crappy eurobox off the track until it's RWD!) but it's the ultimate playground. In no other place will you see genuinely fast stuff moving so slowly... idling around the pits....

Track was closed this weekend for snow. I cannot wait for them to be open on the next one..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X