Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    replied
    Did not get any work done yesterday but I did unrap the goods. The FMS flywheel is a nice piece in stead of adding material for the counter balance they removed it from the other side. Every time I look at the bellhousing I have to remind my self how much I like walking.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Basically what I did. There are pics in the Volvo build thread if that would be helpful.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    The hardest part was finding a "center", but this is how I used a magnetic base and turned the flywheel through the starter hole using the teeth and pry bar.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I have always wanted my own dyno! Dan can you draw me some plans I will get started, I have a pile of scrap / left over wood from the shop project that I am storing / hoarding.

So after I get the new SFI billet flywheel, an SFI bellhousing bolted up and the dial indicator mounted how do I rotate the engine and watch the dial at the same time? Or do I rotate so many degrees check reading? How many readings would you take?
    I rotated mine with the flywheel teeth so I could look at the indicator as I rotated - worked well. I'll see if I can find a pic of the dyno I have in mind.....

Here's the best pic I could find. Note the plank in the foreground. It doesn't show the other end but it pushed on a scale with a big T-screw. They knew how long the distance was from the plank to the scale and how many pounds from the scale reading, so ft/lbs. Measure RPM and apply tq x rpm/5252 and you have it. This happens to be the chassis dyno version but you can do the same with an engine dyno. Of course, these had like 8 HP so your results may differ.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; June 28, 2016, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I have always wanted my own dyno! Dan can you draw me some plans I will get started, I have a pile of scrap / left over wood from the shop project that I am storing / hoarding.

So after I get the new SFI billet flywheel, an SFI bellhousing bolted up and the dial indicator mounted how do I rotate the engine and watch the dial at the same time? Or do I rotate so many degrees check reading? How many readings would you take?

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    That'll work! The first half of a pine dyno.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Built a engine cradle out of scrap 2x4 so I can test fit the flywheel and scatter sheild.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    kind of like us for our projects... 4.3 and 3.8 GM v-6 support is dwindling...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Summit and/or Jegs often seems to be the best bet for me. However, I need enough weird stuff that "routine" suppliers don't often work for me (like the vendor for my new clutch disc).

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    The FMS flywheel was 230, the loop was 31, the bell was 658, the website I found with the cheap sfi stuff is no longer operating they are now American Powertrain, I went with summit b/c of no additional charge for shipping, they had all three of the safety items i wanted to buy at this time, and no sales tax in NC.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Sent summit $919 today for a scatter sheild, flywheel and drive shaft loop. I really like my feet, I really like my feet, one more time, I really like my feet.
    Good call Russell. If you don't think so, just ask Don Garlits if you made the right decision...

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Dan, the kid had a great time! She made it to Australia for a week too. She fell in love with Melbourne. Russ, I went with the PRW for a cuple reasons. First it was in my price range, about $220 to the door. The features I really liked, SFI rated, bolt on weight so it could be used on a 0, 28 or 50 oz unbalance and it's drilled for every SBF PP. Both late model 5.0 with dowels or old lvintage like mine. Pretty universal. PRW advertises that most of the contestants in Engine Masters use them as well. I thought this was a load of BS. I sent Dulchic a PM. He confirmed that. Steve said just about every one in the series uses a PRW wheel and he hasn't heard of any problems or complaints. Steve said he hasn't used one but wouldn't hesitate t do so.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I was going to get one of those when I went to there website it said that stock clutches often have clearance issues. I couldn't find a picture of the front side, so I just got the FMS one. Some day I would like a 5.8 so the PRWS sounded nice, but I didn't want to deal with clutch issues.

I have a cheap dial indicator I got when I replaced the bearings in the 98. I will try that frist.

The PRWS website said to measure the run out on the flywheel, I have never thought of doing that before.
    Last edited by Russell; June 25, 2016, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Hope The Kid had a great adventure!

And I agree on safety stuff - pricey but worth it. Russell - if you need it I have a dial indicator and a base that worked on the Volvo engine - just stop by. I was surprised at how far out the QuickTime scatter shield was so I'm sure yours will NEED indexing. I also have a nice clean pallet that ought to make great furniture.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Sent summit $919 today for a scatter sheild, flywheel and drive shaft loop. I really like my feet, I really like my feet, one more time, I really like my feet.
    Yeah, I bought a billet flywheel for my P motor for the same reasons. for the cost of a good pair of work boots over a stock type cast iron, my feet are worth it. I bought a PRW with a bolt of wieght. Funny I put the wheel on today then I went to put the King Cobra clutch kit I had for a million years and when to bolt it on with the ARP bolts came to a screeching halt. I need M8 and not 5/16. Shit. I was planning on doing the swap or at least start to remove the old motor. Tomorrow I have to go to Kennedy air port at 10 PM and pick the kid up from her New Zealand trip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X