No announcement yet.

Project Mustang Consolidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope long stud 4 lugs. My name is Russell and I have problem hording wheels and tires. I think I have 2 (or is it three) sets of 10 holes. One set of chrome ponies, one set of fans. And what ever you call the 14" wheels that came on the Capri. Oh yeah now I have two sets of drag lights.

When I was DD the 89 100 miles a day I would buy used wheels with good tires from guys up grading. Much cheaper.

I do currently have 3 fox bodies . I guess you could say I collect horse shoes
    Last edited by Russell; January 26, 2015, 08:18 PM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

I know some one with 4 cyl Mercedes diesel experience.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
        I know some one with 4 cyl Mercedes diesel experience.
        Dan Stokes? That's a 5 cylinder. Even weirder.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          Beagle I was right I went back and reread I never said it was a going to be a drag car. I said I was looking for drag rollers. You never know it might get. Gear swap and taken to the mile (how big of a tire do you think i can fit? How fast you think it could go in the half with 4.10s)
          I misunderstood that to mean "Drag car"..

28" tire fits most of the time. You might have to get a ball bat or fender roller depending on how wide they are / wheel offset. A 28x9 is a real tight fit most of the time but LSR tire doesn't need to be that wide. A 27" fit in Monica's Mustang easily. Click image for larger version

Name:	russell.png
Views:	78
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1003566

If you have enough steam to pull over 5000 in 5th with a T5 you'll be moving. Might need to look into tailshaft oiling mods for 5th.

with a 27" tire
          Click image for larger version

Name:	russell2.png
Views:	79
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1003567

235-60x16 is about 27"
          255-60x16 is about 28"

the odds of finding a speed rated tire are a lot better with a 16" rim.
          Last edited by Beagle; January 27, 2015, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
            Nope long stud 4 lugs. My name is Russell and I have problem hording wheels and tires. I think I have 2 (or is it three) sets of 10 holes. One set of chrome ponies, one set of fans. And what ever you call the 14" wheels that came on the Capri. Oh yeah now I have two sets of drag lights.

When I was DD the 89 100 miles a day I would buy used wheels with good tires from guys up grading. Much cheaper.

I do currently have 3 fox bodies . I guess you could say I collect horse shoes

nags? just 3 sets? heck, I have 3 sets of 8 lug tires and wheels that fit nothing I own. I have some really classy wheels, with perfect tires that fit nothing I'll EVER own... sorry buddy, you're a rookie
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

nags? just 3 sets? heck, I have 3 sets of 8 lug tires and wheels that fit nothing I own. I have some really classy wheels, with perfect tires that fit nothing I'll EVER own... sorry buddy, you're a rookie
              Oh... My... God. We're not starting that are we? Remind me to get you a picture of my motorcycle wheel hoard in storage. *EVERYONE* needs RD400 wheels without an RD400 to attach them to, right? haha.

Russell is probably a lot better at keeping the peace with momma and so far it doesn't appear to require using a Fiat as a shelf.

oh yeah, obligatory picture post:

Last edited by Beagle; January 27, 2015, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks Beagle is 28 pretty much the excepted max tire size on the fox? Dad's 90 had 3.73s and it required the shift to 5th it was big rpm drop. 4.10 would not be as bad but I would rather get it done in 4th. It will turn 6k in the lower gears I would not bet on it in 4th

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

my notch would pull 5th about the same as 4th, roughly 145. I'm sure 50 more hp would have made 5th more usable. I think you'll be able to use 5th is what I'm trying to say... anyway, yeah, 28 is about it. Have a look at BBR's wheel wells, they're full.

I think this is a 28 on JWS4621's 84

The RPM drop is going to be the same, instead of going 1:1 , you're going .68:1 Click image for larger version

Name:	russel3.png
Views:	79
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	1003615

those are 28" tire numbers. I'd bet it will pull 5th with the 4.10's better than the 3.73's and definitely outdo 4th.

This is why I get engine A.D.D... I *need* to know what the ported GT40p is worth over an E7TE and if any over a ported E7TE. I'm pretty much convinced there is enough airflow in either the ported GT40p or ported E7TE for over 150 mph.
                  Last edited by Beagle; January 27, 2015, 07:24 AM.

Comment

275/60-15's fit great. Jonathan's look big because of his rear wheel back space. 28-10.5-15 slicks are a little tight width-wise.

275's

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

perfect world math on a 275 60 15 is damn near 29" ... so there is the real world fitment!

Click image for larger version

Name:	russel4.png
Views:	169
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1003635

about 4875 rpm in 5th to go 150 with that setup.
                      (sorry, wrong number first time)
                      Last edited by Beagle; January 27, 2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

You really don't want wide for lsr its just extra weight and resistance. I have heard the rule of thumb for 150 in the mile is 300-325 rwhp iirc. That might be a lot to ask out of a stock short block even with ported heads. If you have longer than a mile I could see it being more likely.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Yeah the pic you have there is a 275 60 15 on a wheel that has an odd offset so it pushes them out a bit.

My 5th gear with 3.73 gears and 28" tall tires on the back on the highway drops quite a bit going into 5th gear. I have never ran 4th out and changed to 5th so I am not sure what goes down to there, can't imagine how much track I would need to get into 5th gear. I can run along at 70 at about 2200 rpm I think. I can't remember been awhile since I had it on the highway.
                          Last edited by JWS4621; May 8, 2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

5th gear in a T5 isn't really designed for WOT - it's more designed to cruise on the highway.... but, with good synthetic fluid and smooth gear changes, I bet WOT in 5th in a standing mile or two or 7 would probably be fun.... with a big warning light on the afr gauge so you don't let it go lean, and then go "Kaflooeee"
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I found out the hard way OD on an AOD was not designed for WOT. Never thought of the load being a problem in a manual, what is the problem with WOT in 5th. You said synthetic fluid I guess I never paid much attention to ATF I thought it was all the same other than the lucas which is great stuff by the way for an old hard shifting T5.

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Well, I guess it's just hear say. It seems that Bonneville has a way of punishing parts unlike any other racing situation.

Since the manual transmissions don't have a pump or a cooler to help them out, I figure using synthetic may be an advantage since it flows better at low temps and doesn't break down as much at high temps.
                                I'm not sure if synthetic ATF is required in some of the newer manual boxes or not, but I do know that making the mistake of putting old time gear oil in a newer manual transmission can wreak all kinds of havoc.

Lucas helps and old T5 shift better? interesting. I've heard other folks rave about Lucas powersteering stuff.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X