No announcement yet.

Project Mustang Consolidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one on the stand going into the 87 just has an HO cam. The P motor we pulled from the capri and put in Dad's F250 has the Ecam.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post

Neal, no problem. It happened during shipping. I should have checked when I got it. All's good.
      how bad is the pitting? Does it go all the way across where the roller travels? Hit that muther with some scotchbrite and look at where the roller contacts!
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Bad enough, I tried scotchbrite and then some crocus cloth. It's pitted on the ramps on a couple lobes and a bearing surface. Pisses me off for not checking when I got it. It would have been fine.

I'm looking at a couple cams from Howards. I'm limited to .540" which is more then enough. I think the 221275-12 with the slightly wider 112 LCA may be a better pick of the two, I think it may have a slightly broader torque curve and maybe a little less peak torque. I'm going to call Howard's next week. I'll see how the money goes. It's push coming to shove to get the motor in the car. Never mind the retro fit listing. They seem to have the same number for both reduced base circle and 5.0 applications, weird.

Free Shipping - Howards Cams Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshafts at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - Howards Cams Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Camshafts at Summit Racing.
        Last edited by Huskinhano; February 7, 2016, 08:58 AM.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
          Bad enough, I tried scotchbrite and then some crocus cloth. It's pitted on the ramps on a couple lobes and a bearing surface. Pisses me off for not checking when I got it. It would have been fine.

I'm looking at a couple cams from Howards. I'm limited to .540" which is more then enough. I think the 221275-12 with the slightly wider 112 LCA may be a better pick of the two, I think it may have a slightly broader torque curve and maybe a little less peak torque. I'm going to call Howard's next week. I'll see how the money goes. It's push coming to shove to get the motor in the car. Never mind the retro fit listing. They seem to have the same number for both reduced base circle and 5.0 applications, weird.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-221275-12
          BEECAM and 1.7's!!

(all hail BeeCam!)

Sorry Russell, my search-fu on BS is weak. Are you gonna part it out or park it in the field?

Comment

• Awesome tow vehicle!

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by MP&C View Post

Awesome tow vehicle!

Nothing runs like a Deere.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Thanks Robert! That means a lot to me coming from you. Question, there are some wholes I want to fill thinking about using a copper spoon and just miging them closed. It's hard to find a helper to hold the spoon, think I could use a magnet to hold it in place.

Beagle, the plan is for the 79 and 89 to be sold as rollers or parted out after all the parts needed for the 87 are removed. I can make you a package deal!

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• Removed
                  Last edited by Russell; February 8, 2016, 08:14 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    Question, there are some wholes I want to fill thinking about using a copper spoon and just miging them closed. It's hard to find a helper to hold the spoon, think I could use a magnet to hold it in place.
                    I would use a copper spoon up to about a 3/16 hole, anything larger than that and you are introducing excessive heat in trying to fill in the void.. For anything larger I'd suggest to make some sheet metal plugs out of 18 ga and tack those in, it normally leaves a less pronounced HAZ, less heat, less distortion..

Here's some mounting holes I needed to fill after shaving a hood ornament and peaking the hood.... I used my Roper Whitney hand punch to make some plugs for the holes, but they could have been made by cutting by hand..

Plug held in place with a couple strips of tape on the bottom, long enough to tack in place....

Welded in place and welds dressed....

Note the minimal amount of HAZ around the 1/4" plug. I would think you could use this method as well, you should be able to hold the plug in place with tape, just be sure to aim your torch ever so slightly to the outside of the joint so the wire feed doesn't have a tendency to push on the plug and move it as you add the first tack.

A buddy of mine has a turret punch that we used to get some larger size plugs, I think they normally go to about 1" in diameter.
                    Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• There you go again showing us how to do it the right way. I will start with the small ones. I am not going for show car here. I don't mind the ford installed holes but the ones the PO installed I want to fill.

I bet there are a couple at least a 1/2" I was thinks lots of cool down time

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Thanks Russell - I need some motivation! It stalled with the pulley business and I lost traction after that. I just took a new job so time just got limited but it also gives me a budget. To be fair - the 302 in the black car has Edembroke heads and Cobra intake but is anchored by a set of shorties. I need to just order a longer belt and get off my ass. Makes sense, right? Underdrive accessory pulleys with an overdrive crank pulley. Pffffft. It's cold enough now to be able to spend time in the garage instead of on yardwork.

tell ya what... if my garage queen gets off of jackstands any time soon, I'll pull the white one in and take you up on the ported e7 v. stock GT40p bit. It's got an AOD so that should slow it down enough for a fair fight.

Comment

• Glad to hear your budget is increasing, bummer you got to go to work to make it happen. What are you doing?

I am going to put the shorties back on the 87. I have long tubes but don't have an H-pipe to go with it. And I want this car to easily pass inspection. The long term plan is turbo.

I ain't skerd (of getting out run) bring it! I think I got a better chassis so I will be ahead at the 60' you'll have to run me down. If all you have to do is get the right sized belt I better hurry I have a whole lot of wires to move.

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• [/URL][/QUOTE]

I have the exact same tow vehicle!
                            CHECK US OUT AT:
                            www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Beags, sorry to say my money is on Russell's car with the P heads.

[

Last edited by Huskinhano; February 9, 2016, 03:09 PM.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• boy, the ponies are getting frisky....
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X